Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ryca tail light question (Read 211 times)
Holly
YaBB Newbies

'03 SV650, '08
S40/RYCA

Seattle, WA
Ryca tail light question
01/05/13 at 15:48:41

Pulled off the tape/shrink wrap today to look at the wiring situation for the tail light. I located the brown wire mentioned in the vid/guide but there are actually two strands of wire. Two strands are joined with two strands at the splice (circled in red). After the splice, one goes to the stock tail light and the other to the stock license plate light. So, do I need to pull the splice and put the F bullet connector in its place keeping both brown wires joined at that location?

Appreciate some guidance .... this part is sooooo not my thing!

P1000514.jpg
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Ryca tail light question
Reply #1 - 01/05/13 at 19:44:28

Give us some more pics using different angles on the wire.

Do you have a VOM, or at least a test light,..  or even something as basic as a bulb with some wires soldered to it?  You'll need to be able to test which wires are hot with brake light, tail light, and turn signals on and off.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #2 - 01/05/13 at 20:38:37

The brown wire no matter how many times it is split is always hot when your ignition is on.  RYCA (although I have not built one) has more than one option for taillight/brakelight/turnsignals.  Tell the FORUM which option you are using.  I suspect that you may be using the "Integrated" one where the tailight/brakelight/turnsignals are all on the bracket that hangs behind the seat?  In any case, the reason you have two strands of Brown on the stock is that it goes to two different places as you already know.  If your RYCA option is now only going to one component (the INTEGRATED one) you will not need to use the splitter.  As has been pointed out, it is a little more complicated than that, but if you are good about telling the FORUM which COLORS OF WIRES went stock to your RIGHT turnsignal; LEFT turnsignal; tailight; and license bracket someone can probably easily help you out. A GOOGLE search on RYCA taillights generates quite a few directions for wiring the RYCA lights.

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx211/babyhog/S40/1996-03WiringDiagpg2.jpg

This is out of the technical section and might help you out.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/06/13 at 04:31:01

Looking at your photo and the wiring diagram - I suspect the reason the wires were split is one wire went to run the tailight and the other one went to run the license plate light.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Holly
YaBB Newbies

'03 SV650, '08
S40/RYCA

Seattle, WA
Reply #4 - 01/06/13 at 10:50:17

I'm installing the integrated brake/tail/turn supplied with the Ryca kit.

Here's another look at it - it's a 2008 bike. Stock turn signals are green (R) and black (L) and the b/w grounds (all circled in blue). Stock Tail/Brake are black, white (circled in red) and brown. Stock lic. plate light are black and brown. There's no mention of the wiring from the stock license plate light in the Ryca wiring guide.

The 4-way brown wire connection point (marked with the green square) is Turn Signal Relay & Ignition Switch into Tail/Brake Light & License Plate Light - though the wiring diagram shows it as two distinct connection points. So the two incoming to this connection need to stay joined, and out of this connection I need just one brown to the new tail/brake?

wiring.png
  IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #5 - 01/06/13 at 15:19:21

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10n2zFGYBL7Whwr5ajBKLNGsJyWHPZMp7xti7p8aaR7Y/
edit?hl=en_US&pli=1

Trying to give you the link but it keeps truncating.  Copy and paste it into your browser.  I think these directions answer your questions.

On the bike’s wiring harness, locate the wires that were originally connected to the stock tail lightand turn signals. You will use the brown, white, and black wires of the stock tail light. You will usethe green wire and black wire of the stock turn signals. The two ground wires of the turn signals(black with white stripes) are not used (typically they are grouped with the tail light’s brown,white, and black wires on the wiring harness, see photo below).The BLACK wire of the stock tail light is connected to the BLACK wire of the LED tail light.The WHITE wire of the stock tail light is connected to the RED wire of the LED tail light.The BROWN wire of the stock tail light is connected to the GREEN wire of the LED tail light.The GREEN wire of the stock turn signals is connected to the YELLOW wire of the LED tail light.The BLACK wire of the stock turn signals is connected to the ORANGE wire of the LED tail light.

Yes you will only need one brown.

IP Logged
Holly
YaBB Newbies

'03 SV650, '08
S40/RYCA

Seattle, WA
Reply #6 - 01/06/13 at 19:27:01

I've been following the Ryca wiring document and video - it's the two brown wires out of the last connection that threw me but I think I'm back on track now. Thanks for the input!  

Front turn signals, horn and bar end mirrors are due this week. Should be able to test the electrical next weekend.

Spent most of yesterday working on the bike. After a trip to Lowe's for miscellaneous hardware I had a pretty productive day. Based on previous posts about the ignition coil, I brought it into the frame a bit by shortening the stock standoff. Seems to have done the trick - tank fit OK with no contact with the coil.  Also, mounted the CDI to the battery box using the original rubber harness, and an L-bracket.

Having a tough time with the black finish on the Ryca-supplied parts - seems to chip or flake if I even look at it.  Sad

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:22:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ryca tail light question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.