Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Odd electric speedo problem... (Read 126 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Odd electric speedo problem...
01/05/13 at 15:32:44

We have a Kawa 900 with an electric speedo... The title is at 14,000 miles...
... but the bike only has 13,200...
We got a deal worked out at the dealership to sell it for $1000 profit,.. but, he can't buy it with the mileage discrepancy...

Now usually people want to turn back the mileage,.. but, we need to move it forward 800 miles...
Anybody know a way to do it electronically?... or are we in for some riding?...  (Riding it off, would require us registering, and insuring it)...

Huh.... Suggestions?...   Huh...

EDITED... my mistake,.. it's a 900 Custom... I corrected it above...
It's huge...
Huh...

« Last Edit: 01/05/13 at 17:34:26 by Serowbot »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Odd electric speedo problem...
Reply #1 - 01/05/13 at 16:14:51

What drives the speedo circuit?  Some electric speedos have a sensor that is driven by a magnet that passes by a sensor.  If so - you could just mount a magnet on a record player turntable, fan motor, etc. and then place the sensor so that it picks up the motion - then energize the speedo circuit and let it start recording the mileage.  Being a simple minded guy that is my solution.....I suppose some eletrical circuit kind of guy could tell you how to build a signal generator?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 01/05/13 at 16:20:07

Record player? Turntable? Huh
Seriously, that is a good idea, except a turntable would be too slow, at 45 rpm, and a fan too fast, maybe.
Got a friend with a dyno?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #3 - 01/05/13 at 16:28:10

Can't the title be marked that there is a speedo discrepancy?  In Kansas the assigment of title section has a check box for "indicated mileage does not reflect true mileage"  It is generally used if the speedo has rolled over or has been replaced.

The illegal part is not that the indicated mileage is not true.  The illegal part is representing the speedo is true mileage when it really is not (deception).

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 01/05/13 at 16:32:43

Not sure where the sensor is,.. but I don't see any wires going to the wheels...  so, it may be in the motor...

bobert_FSO wrote on 01/05/13 at 16:28:10:
Can't the title be marked that there is a speedo discrepancy?

Yes, it can,.. but the bike loses value that way... Dealer will lower the offer...  

bobert_FSO wrote on 01/05/13 at 16:28:10:
The illegal part is not that the indicated mileage is not true.  The illegal part is representing the speedo is true mileage when it really is not (deception).

Yeah,.. this isn't an illegal thing...  It's just that the previous owner guessed at the mileage when he got his title in 09'... and he rounded upwards... then, hardly rode the bike for the next 5 years...
Now,.. if we change the title over,.. we can't lower the 14k on the title, so we need to run the bike up 800 miles...
The actual speedo mileage is correct...

I'm thinkin' it's gonna' have to ridden...
(it's  a bit chilly for long rides)...Huh...

« Last Edit: 01/05/13 at 17:52:26 by Serowbot »  

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #5 - 01/05/13 at 19:10:52

I certainly understand the loss of value on a bike titled with an odometer discrepancy.  I was just suggesting an easy way out of the predicament.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #6 - 01/05/13 at 22:22:07

Is it a Kawa Mean Streak 900?

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #7 - 01/06/13 at 05:08:42

Can you contact the previous owner and get a notarized affidavit from him to clear things up? You may have to visit DMV or the registration bureau too   Huh

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 01/06/13 at 16:45:37

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin...
Welcome to the world of Senile-bot!....

It's not a Kawa 1300,.. or a Kawa 900...  It's a Yamaha 1300... (I did have a Kawa 900 there, last week, but we sold it... then I morphed this one with that one in my head)...
Huh...
... and just to show,.. I ain't makin' things up, here's a pic in my driveway...

Anyway... we talked to our resident expert, Andy,... and he says forget it...
So, we're just gonna' sell it on Craigs instead of to the dealer...
It's huge... I have to sit 3 inches forward on the seat to reach the bars... Grin...

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #9 - 01/06/13 at 17:39:38

The speed sensor is behind the drive cog cover on the left side. It's triggered by a magnet embedded in the cog. You could probably activate it by taking the sensor out & passing a magnet back & forth past it. Cool

The 1300 is layed out pretty much the same as my 950, just bigger & with water cooling. Grin

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 01/06/13 at 17:40:44

Shop Fan, Motorcycle stand, fuel and a few days are all you need.  Don't even have to go anywhere.  Just let it rack up the miles all on it's own without ever moving.

R.F.

That would make a hilarious video... Me on the bike going 80mph on a stand...
..reading a cycle mag,.. doin' a Rubik's cube,.. brushing my teeth... Grin...

One slip,.. and I'd shoot through my shed, blast a concrete wall, and drop into a dry wash...
Grin Grin Grin... - Serow

« Last Edit: 01/06/13 at 22:03:34 by Serowbot »  

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #11 - 01/06/13 at 18:11:11

Serowbot,

Give it to me for a week while you swap engines, and I will put 800 miles on it.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #12 - 01/06/13 at 19:03:10

arteacher wrote on 01/05/13 at 16:20:07:
Record player? Turntable? Huh
Seriously, that is a good idea, except a turntable would be too slow, at 45 rpm, and a fan too fast, maybe.
Got a friend with a dyno?

45 rpm would only be slow if you used only 1 magnet as your trigger.

This was my first thought as well if it was a magnet triggered speed sensor, but I would definitely use multiple magnets on what ever trigger wheel I rigged up so that it would take less time.  Multiple magnets equal multiple triggers per revolution so you could easily max out the speedo without having to have a fast revving trigger wheel.

Now if it's not magnetically triggered,  then you would have to have some electronics background to rig up a simple pulse timer circuit to feed the speedo to basically do the same thing, but it would involve doing some research or at least some measurements to figure out what the pulse rate needed is to trigger the speedo so that you could make the correct fake signal with a simple 555 timer circuit.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:18:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Odd electric speedo problem...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.