Send Topic Print
Lupus , now Diabetes (Read 164 times)
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Lupus , now Diabetes
01/03/13 at 19:41:37

I've had Lupus for 4 years, now I've been diagnosed with diabetes. Life is really becoming a daily struggle. A week before Thanksgiving I had to be rushed to the ER, I couldnt breathe. I had blood clots in my lungs. I'll be on Cumadin for 6 to 9 months. I was living on steoids for the Lupus but I had to come off of them because they do not mix with the bloodthinner cumadin. I know why atheletes love the steroids now. I'm physically weak and exhausted and now I'm restricted to a diet of curds and whey. I'm 58 and my doc says I have the body of a 70 year old. Everyday I try to find something to be thankful for, I have thousands of dollars worth of toys I'm too weak to play with. My little Ninja is setting in the basement with stopped up carbs, cant imagine life without a motorcycle but I really need to fix it and sell it, just cant bring myself to do it. Those of you who are healthy treasure it, you are blessed. Sri I'm gonna try to be in Mooresville Sat eve and do a little racing. I need to get of the house. I hope you understand now why we havent already gotten together. The last 2 months have been hell. I'm not asking for pity, those of you who are healthy please dont ever take it for granted. There are days I have to hide from my grandson because I'm too weak to play with him. I hope none of you ever have to experience that.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: Lupus , now Diabetes
Reply #1 - 01/03/13 at 19:55:44

Midnight my prayers are with you. I'm the same age and I feel a lot older due to the types of work I've done over the years but I'm still out there plugging along. Hang in there!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #2 - 01/03/13 at 21:29:51

Peace and healing my friend.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 01/03/13 at 22:14:49

Midnightrider, I don't know you but your post compelled me to respond.  My career in healthcare allowed me to work closely with patients with very significant struggles.  My personal medical struggles furthered my knowledge and compassion for those suffering.  Drawing upon all of this, I humbly offer you my prayers.

I've been through the periods of hiding from people.  At least it felt that way to me.  When friends saw me, it seemed to them that I wasn't fairing to badly.  I would have to explain to them that if they see me its because I was having a fairly good day.  When they don't see or hear from me there's a reason.  They care about us but they don't get to see those bad days so their polite and optimistic assumptions are understandable.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/03/13 at 23:26:12

Having gone from pup to old dawg in only a few years, I can empathize. I was able to run a sub 5 minute mile when I was 27. I was in a hospital for 6 weeks when I was 28 & have never been okay since. Pesticides,, & heavy metals & industrial chemicals made a mess of me. I was misdiagnosed as bipolar & treated as such, which delayed proper treatment & That crap did more damage.. The medical field is filled by well intentioned ill equipped arrogant idiots,. Treatment for chronic illness is quite often very wrong. American medicine SHINES in the "Quick, he has been in a horrible accident" scenario, but for people like me,, Nope.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 01/04/13 at 04:37:38

My heart goes out to you dude, and my prayer for your better health.  
I understand fully the difficulties dealing with healthcare workers who have no idea how to deal with chronic problems.  You are correct, they are educated and trained to do the "quick fix", but unfortunately that is geared to make a decision in just minutes and then give you drugs to treat the symptom and not the cause.  My journey down this road began in 1979 and it was not until the mid 90's before I found a doctor who was a real "problem solver".  His goal was to find the causes and then try to heal it.  Healing was not possible (much of the problems resulted from Agent Orange exposure) but he did find ways for me to live a semi-normal life.  As mentioned above, many people don't understand how severe chronic health problems can effect you.  You may have some better days between all of the hard days, and you usually only see others when you feel a bit better.  I have had comments before of "you seem pretty healthy to me", and they have no idea of the past days or even weeks when I was not functional because of the pain.  It's one day at a time and being thankful for the better ones.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/04/13 at 06:02:15

Philippians 4:11-12

Not that I speak from want; for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/04/13 at 06:56:48

God bless you and we will keep you in our prayers.

One of my favorite scriptures Webstermark. After loosing my wife of 37 years in August I have had to fall back on this one often. For the first time in 58 years I find myself living alone.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #8 - 01/04/13 at 07:37:56

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Getting older, I find more and more things... that I wasn't prepared for. Sure we all expect little frailties... but sheesh only a lucky seem to fit that. So far, I feel very blessed, and work hard to keep relationships with friends for whom what is considered normal is but a long lost dream.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 01/04/13 at 08:02:57

Midnightrider wrote on 01/03/13 at 19:41:37:
I've had Lupus for 4 years, now I've been diagnosed with diabetes. Life is really becoming a daily struggle. A week before Thanksgiving I had to be rushed to the ER, I couldnt breathe. I had blood clots in my lungs. I'll be on Cumadin for 6 to 9 months. I was living on steoids for the Lupus but I had to come off of them because they do not mix with the bloodthinner cumadin. I know why atheletes love the steroids now. I'm physically weak and exhausted and now I'm restricted to a diet of curds and whey. I'm 58 and my doc says I have the body of a 70 year old. Everyday I try to find something to be thankful for, I have thousands of dollars worth of toys I'm too weak to play with. My little Ninja is setting in the basement with stopped up carbs, cant imagine life without a motorcycle but I really need to fix it and sell it, just cant bring myself to do it. Those of you who are healthy treasure it, you are blessed. Sri I'm gonna try to be in Mooresville Sat eve and do a little racing. I need to get of the house. I hope you understand now why we havent already gotten together. The last 2 months have been hell. I'm not asking for pity, those of you who are healthy please dont ever take it for granted. There are days I have to hide from my grandson because I'm too weak to play with him. I hope none of you ever have to experience that.

Oooo so sorry, I have not even seen this so far ...
Saturday - let me know, I'll be here.
PM comming.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 01/04/13 at 08:31:03

Midnightrider:

I am so sorry to hear of your pain.  I just turned 57 and am watching my friends and family getting older.....and I am doing everything I can to delay the process in my own life.  I do not take my good health for granted, and I have been blessed with good genes and a vegetarian wife that keeps me eating healthy stuff.  I am slowly losing my hearing and my prostrate is growing - but other than that I am great!  Two years ago my friend of 30 years was dying from Mesothelioma and I vowed to get healthier every day as he got sicker.  I go to the gym every morning before work - and I am now in great shape.  I have learned to enjoy the challenge of pushing my limits at the gym - and I never want to look back and see that I wasted my years of physical health.  Every time I need motivation to keep going....I remember my friend Dennis and think that he would have loved to be able to do this, and it keeps me going.

Let us know if there is anything you need that we can help you do.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 01/04/13 at 15:18:34

MShipley wrote on 01/04/13 at 06:56:48:
God bless you and we will keep you in our prayers.

One of my favorite scriptures Webstermark. After loosing my wife of 37 years in August I have had to fall back on this one often. For the first time in 58 years I find myself living alone.

I lost my first wife in 2010 after 35 years.  It left me feeling in limbo which led to some things that were not good for me.  Fortunately, my "believing children" confronted their daddy about his behavior and helped me get my life back on the right track.  God blessed me gave me a new wife and I am blessed much more now than I deserve.  I thank HIM every day for all HE has done for me.

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/04/13 at 16:00:48

That is awesome Lancer. You know my family all lives in OK went on a 300 mile ride out there just a couple months ago. Maybe next time im out there we can ride.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #13 - 01/04/13 at 21:41:42

Thanks guys, you probably dont realise it but each and everyone of you help make my life better almost everyday. Whether I agree with you or not your opinions matter to me and make me think. This forum is mainstream America at its finest. This is my local cafe and your opinions matter to me whether I agree with them or not. Many thanks for all the well wishes. Best wishes to each and every one of you.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #14 - 01/05/13 at 16:43:31

Yes Midnight, we are all here for you. Everyone is in your corner as you fight the misfortunes of ill-health.  Wink

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/16/24 at 11:55:53

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Lupus , now Diabetes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.