Send Topic Print
Head Work (Read 410 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Head Work
Reply #15 - 01/06/13 at 12:34:20

Youll need a fair amount of your favorite jelly.

Everything I see is toast.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #16 - 01/07/13 at 07:13:18

wuzzatmean?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
teggy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 01/07/13 at 16:19:38

No it's toast all right. I'm sending the jug out to a local machine shop and am going to order a new piston and ring set along with a wrist pin. I think I can clean up the head and install a new cam. It's my winter project and so far I'm having fun with it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 01/07/13 at 17:42:20

teggy wrote on 01/07/13 at 16:19:38:
No it's toast all right. I'm sending the jug out to a local machine shop and am going to order a new piston and ring set along with a wrist pin. I think I can clean up the head and install a new cam. It's my winter project and so far I'm having fun with it.

You are going to order the Wiseco......aren't you?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
teggy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 01/08/13 at 17:58:33

Where would I find that piston and will it fit the existing bore?

IP Logged
jvdb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 01/08/13 at 18:21:14

teggy wrote on 01/08/13 at 17:58:33:
Where would I find that piston and will it fit the existing bore?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1328568686

IP Logged
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Reply #21 - 01/08/13 at 21:05:12

Hey man when I pulled apart my motor not to long ago it looked pretty similar. The previous owner took care of it, changed the oil regularly. My c-clip holding the wrist pin achually popped out and it rode against the cylinder wall, wrist pin was stuck.. Yes, had to beat it out with a hammer to release from connecting arm, and my cam journals were all kinds of messed up. Rocker arms and cams were far gone and this is all after 14000 miles. My suggestion to you is to check out your oil pump because the damage that was done looks like oil depravation.

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 01/09/13 at 14:47:17

Before I spent a lot of $$ on it Id do whatever "Fix It" job you think you need to do to the head. YOull be sad if you get all that $$$ spent & cant save the head. YOU mite be well ahead buying a used motor.,BUT,, How can ya know whats inside that cast aluminum "Box"?..

REcommend ya move slow, spend a few days just thinking about it.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #23 - 01/09/13 at 14:53:22

My first thought when I saw that was "I wonder what the crank journals and transmission/clutch look like?" Undecided

IP Logged
teggy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 01/09/13 at 19:15:41

The bottom end looks real good. No metal debris at all. I have looked for used motors and all of them I find are in the area of $700 or more, and let's face it you have to wonder whats wrong with them? Fix what I have seems to be the best solution at this point. It ran when I got it and it appears to be in good shape on the bottom end. The oil pump is a great question. I wonder what kind of shape it's in also. I just ordered a shop manuel for it and was wondering on how to check it. Any information on that would be great.  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 01/10/13 at 05:23:06

The only way I can even imagine to actually check the oil pump would be to get the side dammed off so it will hold oil with the clutch cover off & spin the poo outta the pump gear.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #26 - 01/10/13 at 19:43:14

I kinda' enjoy having to wiggle the steering wheel on my 1986 C20 Chevy to get it to crank. I don't mind the coat hanger signal light splints secured with electrical tape on my Savage. I don't mind that my tachometer on my Mazda pickup has to be bumped to work, but man, with no real journal inserts and depending on the cam fitting more or less perfectly, plus the piston, I would call it toast, also. And I wouldn't put it back without a look in the bottom end. My opinion. I'm not rich. Can't afford a chance like that.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:27:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head Work

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.