Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Head Work (Read 410 times)
teggy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Head Work
01/03/13 at 18:11:46

Was wondering if anyone has any information on sending their head out for machining. Mine appears to have large amounts of scoring around the cam and it appears if the previous owner didn't know he had to change the oil. My bike also has a aftermarket exhaust on it and the stock jets are still in the carb. I'm going to re-jet with Lancers Jets, but the exhaust is blue half way down the pipe. Pretty hot I woulld say, so I would like to have the head checked for straightness as well as cracks. Any info is appriciated. Thanks in advance

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: Head Work
Reply #1 - 01/03/13 at 18:19:22

teggy posting your locale will help us help you. It's kind of hard to suggest a machine shop without knowing where you are.

Having said that,your best bet is to find a local independent bike shop and get to be friends with the folks there. They will be worth a small fortune!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
teggy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/03/13 at 18:29:02

Yeah I guess that would help although I'm not opposed to shipping it either. I'm from about 60 miles west of Chicago.

savage_cover.jpg
  IP Logged
teggy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/03/13 at 18:29:48

Pic of head.

savage_head.jpg
  IP Logged
teggy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/03/13 at 18:38:16

Pic of exhaust

savage_exhaust.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/04/13 at 08:47:19

If you can clean the bearing surfaces up on the cam & get a light set up so we can see what kinda shape theyre in, that would help. Same for the head. KInda looks like the end nearest the chain is injured.
Whats all the shiny, sparkly stuff in the pics?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 01/04/13 at 11:08:15

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/04/13 at 08:47:19:
If you can clean the bearing surfaces up on the cam & get a light set up so we can see what kinda shape theyre in, that would help. Same for the head. KInda looks like the end nearest the chain is injured.
Whats all the shiny, sparkly stuff in the pics?

I think the shiny sparkly stuff is just the reflection of the camera flash on the oil surfaces.......and maybe dust in the air?

I am with JOG and agree that at this point you need to do a little more work to take it apart and get things cleaned up before you decide what to do.  Remove the cam and take some find sandpaper and clean off any aluminum that has transferred onto the cam journals.  We used to do this frequently on lawn mower engines that had the aluminum transfer material onto the steel cranks.  Then clean the head and head cover and see if the bearing surfaces are boogered.  I believe there are wear limits listed in the Clymer manual - and if you assemble the cam and head covers and use some plastic gauge to measure the clearances - you can determine if you can just put some good lube on and put it back together and run it.  The bearing surfaces on the bottom side are probably worn the most - as that is where the pressure from the cam chain and from the valve springs is supported.  You need to take the cam out before you can see what those look like.

The only way that I think the head can be salvaged if the cam journals are toast.....is to take the head and head cover to a machine shop.  They could machine a bit off the head cover, then bolt the head cover back on and resize the cam journals........at that point you might as well just buy a used head somewhere as I doubt this would come cheap.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
teggy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/04/13 at 18:37:24

The shiny sparkly stuff is debris on the cam itself. I will disassemble more over the weekend and take more pics.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/05/13 at 05:19:57

Oldfeller posted pictures and instructions for repairing worn journals.  It is definitely worth reading.  You'll find it on page 7 of the technical posts and it's called Simplified Refitting of Cam Bearing Journals.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
teggy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/05/13 at 15:54:58

Motor torn down to casual part (piston) I guess all the blow by from the rings is where the oil was coming from.

piston.jpg
  IP Logged
teggy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/05/13 at 15:56:51

Cam has a large groove on loab side

savage_cam.jpg
  IP Logged
teggy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/05/13 at 15:58:45

Chain side cam

head_3.jpg
  IP Logged
teggy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/05/13 at 15:59:41

cam journals

head_1.jpg
  IP Logged
teggy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 01/05/13 at 16:00:42

piston

piston_3.jpg
  IP Logged
teggy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/05/13 at 16:01:50

The wrist pin was also scored as well as the inside of the piston where the wrist pin rides.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:30:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head Work

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.