Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Med student vs Suzuki savage (Read 441 times)
wbianchi
YaBB Newbies

This savage looks
awesome! If only it
would work..

Sarasota, Florida
Re: Med student vs Suzuki savage
Reply #15 - 01/05/13 at 07:01:24

I don't see "ground strap connection" anywhere in the clymer manual....is this the blue wire near the metal bar that moves when I press on the clutch?

I hear two clicks when I try and start the bike. The battery is definitely charged. Per the manual, I think that means the delayed relay to the solenoid and decompression lever are both working, so maybe this is a short somewhere?

The terminals are firmly attached to the battery cables, so I don't think I made any mistake when I put the battery back in.

Anything else I can do that woud help with a diagnosis? I don't have a voltmeter or even understand how I would use one, but those seem to be mentioned on the board and in the manual quite a bit when it comes to electrical problems....

Man...an electrical problem AND and carb problem. Am I just a lucky guy?

Serowbot wrote on 01/04/13 at 15:29:48:
Bummer...
It does sound like carb... a jet may be plugged, or the needle slide is sticking...  She needs a cleaning...

The loud click,... is a decompression relay, (it makes the engine easier to turn over at start by lifting the exhaust valve for a fraction of a second)... That's a normal sound...

Now,.. why your battery is dead, is another can o' worms... but,... since you replaced it recently, let's just check that battery connections are good.... (a loose connection will affect charging and starting)( also, check the ground strap connection at the rear of the engine near the clutch actuator)...

... and lastly,... (new to bikes?),... wear jeans.. (they don't melt)... Wink...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 01/05/13 at 07:30:28

The ground strap goes from the negative side of the battery and travels down and attaches to the engine just above the oil level window and behind the clutch actuating lever on the right side of the crankcase.

You should probably have your battery tested.  I bought a new one and it only lasted 4 weeks before it failed - sometimes batteries go bad before their time.

And the carb......take it apart and clean it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wbianchi
YaBB Newbies

This savage looks
awesome! If only it
would work..

Sarasota, Florida
Reply #17 - 01/05/13 at 12:38:07

Hi All,

So I decided to start from the top today. I took the battery out and went to Trak Auto; their battery tester said the battery was good to go. Went back and reinstalled the battery, really slowly to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything. Bike in neutral, kickstand up, two clicks and then nothing. From what I can tell, it looks like the ground wire is attached (pic).

A bike needs fire, air, and fuel to run right? I pulled the gas tank (full, and new petcock works fine) and worked my way down to the spark plug. I wasn't able to get the plug out, even after an additional trip to purchase a second king of spark plug wrench. The wrench, however, won't fit down in the plug well. What's the deal here? My bike didn't come with a tool kit on it, so is there a special wrench that everyone is using? Regardless, the plug looked almost brand new (previous owner must have installed it before selling it to me).

I put the bike back together and still no luck. The first click I hear comes from directly under the seat (ignitor unit?) and the second seems to be decompression solenoid. This makes me think that there is probably no problems with the wiring, because the electricity is getting to these parts.

I think I need to overcome this initial electrical problem before I rip the carb out and start cleaning. What should be my next move?

Could the starter motor have gone out? Clymer's manual suggests that only professionals try and remove that...
« Last Edit: 01/05/13 at 14:22:03 by wbianchi »  

2013-01-05_12_05_34.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 01/06/13 at 04:34:25

Put a volt meter on the starter terminal and determine if the electricity is getting to the starter when you push the starter button.  You could use a test light - but it would be helpful to know the voltage (if any) that is getting to the starter.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 01/06/13 at 07:31:38

You have to buy a "thin wall" deep spark plug socket -- the parts stores sell them as the new cars require them too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mikey2004

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sarasota Florida
Reply #20 - 01/06/13 at 09:06:41

im in sarasota too. rebuilding the motor on my 99 savage that i just bought for 500 dollars. the guy i bought it from told me about a problem that sound exactly like yours. he told me he bought a new charginf system and it fixed the problem. hope this helps.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #21 - 01/06/13 at 09:20:50

Do you have a car?...

Try jumping it with your car battery...

Don't have the car engine running when you do it...
Connect the jumper to the positive battery terminal. and the negative to the engine block of both vehicles...

When finished,...disconnect negative first...

« Last Edit: 01/06/13 at 11:32:59 by Serowbot »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MileHiRider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, Colorado
Reply #22 - 01/06/13 at 10:43:43

I agree with Serowbot, I don't think you've totally eliminated the battery as the problem.
If it starts with a jump, you need to look at, or have a mechanic check
the starter.

IP Logged
MileHiRider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, Colorado
Reply #23 - 01/06/13 at 10:50:00

I meant to say if it doesn't start with a jump.......

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #24 - 01/06/13 at 11:15:35

How long are your rides usually?  The LS650's charging system doesn't accell at charging when you take allot of short rides under 30 minutes, especially if the battery wasn't charged 100% to start.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #25 - 01/06/13 at 20:17:53

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/06/13 at 07:31:38:
You have to buy a "thin wall" deep spark plug socket -- the parts stores sell them as the new cars require them too.

That'll work.

FWIW, I use a simple 18mm deep well socket for the plug.....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:27:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Med student vs Suzuki savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.