Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Med student vs Suzuki savage (Read 441 times)
wbianchi
YaBB Newbies

This savage looks
awesome! If only it
would work..

Sarasota, Florida
Med student vs Suzuki savage
01/03/13 at 06:03:11

Hi Everyone,

I am a long time lurker on this board (there is so much great information!) but am resigning to the group with a savage problem that I can't quite figure out.

The bike: I have a 1997 savage, bought used a few months ago with 6K miles. The previous owner was a mechanic who worked on bikes for 35+ years and spent a good amount of time restoring this bike (which was found in a friends garage). It seems to be in very good condition.

The rider: Medical student, first bike, with minimal motorcycle maintenance experience. I have entry level tools, a clymer manual, and internet access to suzukisavage.com (what more could I need, right?). I am determined to get to know this bike and figure out what is wrong with it.

The problem: The engine block has an oily/gas residue accumulating around the ridges that surround the cylinder. I replaced my stock petcock with a Raptor last week (I was having the "empty tank when it was half full" symptoms described on a previous board post) and decided to take a look at the air filter.  The filter is soaked with gas. There is also a very slow drip coming from the carb. The oil leve, when checked with the bike upright after warming the engine in idle for about 2 minutes, is exactly between the marking on the view glass.

The question: Is this a residual problem related to a potentially leaky stock petcock? Could the engine be sucking gas off the air filter and then somehow it deposits around the engine? Is this setting off any red flags in the minds of more experienced riders that I should be aware of?

Thanks for reading.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: Med student vs Suzuki savage
Reply #1 - 01/03/13 at 06:19:08

Welcome to the group!

Start with replacing the air filter if it's an original paper filter. Once those paper elements get wet they are ruined.

As for the residue on the cylinder....it could be from the vac-sucker and carb flooding problem. Now that you've got that under control and replaced the air filter you can clean the cylinder and watch for more leaks or it stays clean. Then you'll know what your next step will be.

Until you get to that point it's hard to say.....

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 01/03/13 at 06:41:05

Are you shutting off the petcock when you are not running the bike?  The Raptor is not automatic - and should be turned off when the bike is not running.

It sounds like the needle/seat in your carb is not shutting off the fuel flow completely and is not properly shutting off the flow of gas.  I would recommend a carb inspection and cleaning.

Update your profile information to include your location - maybe their is an experienced Savage owner near you that could help.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/03/13 at 07:50:45

wbianchi wrote on 01/03/13 at 06:03:11:
The problem: The engine block has an oily/gas residue accumulating around the ridges that surround the cylinder.  

are these ridges the air cooling fins?

at what level does the wetness begin?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 01/03/13 at 08:20:44

Wet airbox is probably from the old vac-sucker... if not, yer' float needle needs attention...
The weepyness on the cylinder head, could be a couple of things... so, it's best to clean it real good, then watch to pinpoint the source...

PS,.. I have this pain in my elbow,.......... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Chris Roth

1995 Savage LS 650

Collinsville, IL
Reply #5 - 01/03/13 at 09:04:09

wbianchi wrote on 01/03/13 at 06:03:11:
The problem: The engine block has an oily/gas residue accumulating around the ridges that surround the cylinder.

When I first got my Savage I had oil and gas issues as well.  I replaced my petcock with the Raptor and it did not fix it, for most it will.  In my case the gas tank had a rust leak along one of the seams on the bottom - new (to me) gas tank fixed that.

Regarding oil on the cooling fins of the cylinder, that is likely the rubber plug cap.  I had to pull the valve cover and reseal this on mine as well.  Write up is here
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099227295

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 01/03/13 at 10:38:40

Sarasota, FL.......I just got back from there!  If I had known I could have come over last week and fixed it for YA! (Although I would have probably wanted to test ride it for the entire week!)

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wbianchi
YaBB Newbies

This savage looks
awesome! If only it
would work..

Sarasota, Florida
Reply #7 - 01/03/13 at 18:21:12

Thank you all for the responses...working on this bike feels the same as developing a differential diagnosis.

I have been shutting off the petcock religiously after reading all the horror stories on the forum (which is ironic, because I ended up with fuel/oil in the air box anyways).

I have a new air filter coming in on Friday. I'll clean out the air box as best I can, throw the new one in, and then clean up the cooling fins around the engine (where the gas/oil is accumulating). After riding for a bit I'll recheck the air filter and engine for leaks. Hopefully the new petcock will have fixed a problem that I discovered retrospectively.

There is a saying in medicine: when you hear hoofbeats, think horses and not zebras. I was initially thinking the hoofbeats meant time to clean the carb. Thanks for the input, it will help me nail down the more basic problems first.

IP Logged
wbianchi
YaBB Newbies

This savage looks
awesome! If only it
would work..

Sarasota, Florida
Reply #8 - 01/03/13 at 18:21:56

Ah man, that would have been a good deal for both of us!

Dave wrote on 01/03/13 at 10:38:40:
Sarasota, FL.......I just got back from there!  If I had known I could have come over last week and fixed it for YA! (Although I would have probably wanted to test ride it for the entire week!)

IP Logged
wbianchi
YaBB Newbies

This savage looks
awesome! If only it
would work..

Sarasota, Florida
Reply #9 - 01/03/13 at 18:25:03

Gimme about 7 more years of school (I'm only in my second year) and I can try and work that elbow problem out for ya...so hang in there!

Serowbot wrote on 01/03/13 at 08:20:44:
Wet airbox is probably from the old vac-sucker... if not, yer' float needle needs attention...
The weepyness on the cylinder head, could be a couple of things... so, it's best to clean it real good, then watch to pinpoint the source...

PS,.. I have this pain in my elbow,.......... Huh...

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 01/03/13 at 18:44:11

Since you have the raptor, it may pay to remove the tank so you can clean around the head fins thoroughly.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
wbianchi
YaBB Newbies

This savage looks
awesome! If only it
would work..

Sarasota, Florida
Reply #11 - 01/04/13 at 14:47:42

Hey Everyone. Big problems now, hopefully I can get a bit more assistance.

I put in the new air filter and cleaned up all the miscellaneous oil. I tried to start the bike and the battery wouldn't turn the bike over (new battery that I bought 4 mos ago). I trickled charged the battery and put it back and the bike started on the first try. I took the bike out for a spin and there was horrible hesitancy when I pulled back on the throttle. So much so that there was barely any acceleration.

I limped back home and put the bike in park and shut it off. Then, just to try and see how it started back up after the trickle charge, I tried to start it back up. Now, when I try to start it all I hear is a big click. Bike is in neutral, kick stand is up.

The acceleration problem suggests carburetor problems (all of a sudden after a new air filter?). The click...I have no idea. Did I somehow all of a sudden have my starter go out??!

To add insult to injury, as I sat on the bike and scratched my head the exhaust melted thru my pants and burned my leg. This is getting incredibly frustrating to say the least.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 01/04/13 at 15:29:48

Bummer...
It does sound like carb... a jet may be plugged, or the needle slide is sticking...  She needs a cleaning...

The loud click,... is a decompression relay, (it makes the engine easier to turn over at start by lifting the exhaust valve for a fraction of a second)... That's a normal sound...

Now,.. why your battery is dead, is another can o' worms... but,... since you replaced it recently, let's just check that battery connections are good.... (a loose connection will affect charging and starting)( also, check the ground strap connection at the rear of the engine near the clutch actuator)...

... and lastly,... (new to bikes?),... wear jeans.. (they don't melt)... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 01/04/13 at 15:38:59

Came home, stuck 'er in Park & shut 'er off did ya?

OoooH!... that's a big possible!... turn the key off, one notch too far, and you'll have the taillight on all night...(good thinkin', JOG) -Serow  Wink...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wbianchi
YaBB Newbies

This savage looks
awesome! If only it
would work..

Sarasota, Florida
Reply #14 - 01/04/13 at 18:51:56

Haha, that's how I have the 'new battery' that I do right now...made that mistake when I had it for the first month. Never again!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:31:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Med student vs Suzuki savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.