Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 
Send Topic Print
2013 Dragon Run (early summer) (Read 3578 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 2013 Dragon Run (early summer)
Reply #285 - 06/18/13 at 06:43:01

The 600cc crotch rockets and them boys in full leather gear come in two main groups.  The real ones pass you like you are sitting still and are GONE while you can occasionally pass them "I wanna be a crotch rocket guy" slower type boys in a curve (you won't catch them in a straight away).

We sorta rule on the Cherohala because it is too boring for the crotch rocket boys to do more than once.

Parkway we rule because the crotch rocket boys won't even go there.

Bigger crotch rockets actually go slower in the mountains than the light & nimble 600cc class -- they weigh too much.   Ducatis as a group are relatively slower, BMWs are slower still ....

But, since the 600cc class bikes all can make 100+ hp and they can stay in second gear all the time so if they want to they can trash us easily if the rider has any goodly amount of Dragon time under his belt.

Roll on, roll off (brakes)  ----  it is simple and easy for them to wipe us up.   They are actually holding back to keep the front wheel down on the road.

Plus, them crazy boys actually go practice falling down in curves, slapping on a set of new slider bumpers and then trying it again.   A crotch rocket with torn up sliders on both sides and scarred up plastic is the one to be worried about .....  them guys leathers look like they have been in the wars too.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #286 - 06/24/13 at 04:45:23

Well.....I figured for a few bucks I would buy proof that I was on the Dragon on Sunday.  There wasn't anyone else from the group to act as a witness!  It was far less crowded on Sunday afternoon than it was on Saturday.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #287 - 06/24/13 at 05:18:38

That's a purty bike being rode in a purty fashion.   Beautimus even.

Cheesy   Me, I ain't so purty, but I can still get around OK.   Cheesy

FYI, my front brake pads weren't worn out, the outside one was thin but the inside was only half worn down --- what we were eyeballing was the curled up red paint from where it had worn down over the years.  

However I changed them out anyway (but I saved the thick side for future use).  Pumped the system down with fresh brake fluid too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #288 - 06/24/13 at 07:48:53

Dang fine pic Dave, just wish I coulda done the video of the Dragon like I planned, although I doubt I coulda kept up with you three hollagans. Got xrayed wed. last week and they still haven't called with any results, dang military doc's are slow.
Wife wants all the rattles fixed now so I guess i'm pulling the tank this week and trying to find her a different headlight setup.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #289 - 06/24/13 at 08:45:03

old_rider wrote on 06/24/13 at 07:48:53:
Dang fine pic Dave, just wish I coulda done the video of the Dragon like I planned, although I doubt I coulda kept up with you three hollagans. Got xrayed wed. last week and they still haven't called with any results, dang military doc's are slow.
Wife wants all the rattles fixed now so I guess i'm pulling the tank this week and trying to find her a different headlight setup.

Our office manager says I need longer pants!  I am not sure why they tilted the camera.....I was working hard to lean it over and he straightened me back up by tilting the photo!

Hope you get to feeling better soon.......nobody likes the wait to heal.  I am  not sure why the chose the word "patient" for someone needing medical help.......seldom is that the way anbody feels when they need to be worked on.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #290 - 06/25/13 at 18:55:34

Hey OldFellow!  Remember that rattling noise you heard the last day we were riding together and our bikes were idling side by side?  It was my bike.......and it was louder tonight.

It is the headlight ring.  It is really loud, and it makes a sound like the top end is coming apart at idle.  If I take my hand and hold the chrome headlight ring......the horrible racket goes away.  Thank goodness it is not another post Dragon Trip engine rebuild!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #291 - 06/25/13 at 20:04:17

Yup, you was making a little rucus, you were.  

But nothing serious, I was just amazed my "never adjusted for 2 years" valves were quieter than yours so I remarked some about it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #292 - 06/25/13 at 20:14:10

Now Dave, since you have had time to think about it some -- I got a tight curlies question for you.

Dragon tight curlies or Hwy 32 tight curlies -- which was the most entertaining to go around?  

Which was the most alarming?   (unexpected/surprising, if you prefer)

Which was the most dangerous?  (tried to kill you the more times)

Which one was the best "controlled portion" of thrill ride (and why)?

Which one would be best for a controlled race (assuming you could do such a thing by having a cell phone equipped person at each end to verify the road was empty of all traffic)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #293 - 06/26/13 at 04:22:48

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/25/13 at 20:14:10:
Now Dave, since you have had time to think about it some -- I got a tight curlies question for you.

Dragon tight curlies or Hwy 32 tight curlies -- which was the most entertaining to go around?   The Dragon is more fun for killin' Hurlies and catching up to follks.......Route 32 was more fun as it was very long and devoid of traffic.

Which was the most alarming?   (unexpected/surprising, if you prefer)
Route 32 was the most alarming as I had never been on it before and had no idea what was around the next corner, and several of those corners had wood on the road from the Thursday storm.

Which was the most dangerous?  (tried to kill you the more times) I really don't think either one tried to kill me......that SUV with the couple sitting crosswise in the middle of the road was a bit rude.......it is hard to imagine why anyone would sit crosswise on both lanes to look at a map or read their directions.  The Dragon worries me as it is busy, and very often bikes and cars drift over the centerline and into my lane.

Which one was the best "controlled portion" of thrill ride (and why)?
Not sure what this questions implies.  Both roads offer cool turns and twists and hills and they both offer curves that you can't go around and maintain te speed limit.  The Dragon is fun for the Carnival atmosphere.....Route 32 is fun for the remoteness and really long ride.

Which one would be best for a controlled race (assuming you could do such a thing by having a cell phone equipped person at each end to verify the road was empty of all traffic)Route 32 would be best, as there is no traffic and probably no law enforcement.  I don't support the idea of racing on public roads.......they have track events for that.  I just enjoy the curves at a brisk pace......with some reserve left for braking and evasive moves if they become necessary.

I want future Dragon Riders to know that everyone can ride at their own pace, and that the occasional blast around the corners by some of us will be followed by the group waiting for all riders to catch up and join the group.  It is not a 3 day street race.....but we do sneak in some spirited riding when the opportunity arises. Grin

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #294 - 06/26/13 at 05:02:18

Curves at brisk pace with reserve for braking and URO's (unexpected road objects)... Yep, fun stuff.  I really wish I had felt better and been able to enjoy more of the ride.

Really ?  A car parked crossways in both lanes on a curve while looking at a map ?
Did you stop and suggest they move before they or someone else dies?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #295 - 06/26/13 at 05:08:23

LANCER wrote on 06/26/13 at 05:02:18:
Curves at brisk pace with reserve for braking and URO's (unexpected road objects)... Yep, fun stuff.  I really wish I had felt better and been able to enjoy more of the ride.

Really ?  A car parked crossways in both lanes on a curve while looking at a map ?
Did you stop and suggest they move before they or someone else dies?

Yep.....We came around a corner and discovered an SUV diagonal in the highway and right on top of the centerline.  I think they became complacent about  how deserted this road was.  We rode for what a local fellow said was 30 miles and that was the only car we saw.  I need to check the distance and see how long that road really was....it felt like it was twice the lenght of the Dragon.....the curves just kept on coming, and it was all smooth, fresh asphalt.....except for the last 2 mile gravel stretch.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #296 - 06/26/13 at 07:31:24

I think Hwy 32 is the more dangerous road as it allows you to do what you are going to do in a completely unobserved & unrestricted fashion.

The mix of curves on 32 is insane and some of them are tighter than any that exist on the Dragon so you can't ride at a constant "speed range".  Dragon always has you going about 15 to 50 and all the curves have been rebanked so you can keep to that general speed range.

Hwy 32 has you down as low as 5-10 mph with tires just a scrubbing just to get around a couple of the inside hairpins.  Some are just about "folded road" tight.

The length of paved 32 is considerable right now and if they pave it all it will be 3x longer than it is now.

Dragon is relatively short and it has been just about memorized now.  The Dragon does have things to pass on it and that adds to its appeal.  8 porkchops and a trailer and a van on a single pass is the largest plate I was ever served on a one way Dragon pass, so Hwy 32 definitely lacks in the snack department.  

Grin  They try to make up for it by parking in the middle of the road though.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #297 - 06/26/13 at 08:26:41

I will definately be back up there next year and hopefully with a savage that I will have fitted to me.
Got a call back from the xray doc, I guess I fractured my L3, go figure. She says my bones are thin? Got an appointment to see my regular doctor, but not untill aug 5! Guess the fracture ain't that bad, told me not to go jumping no busses or tractor trailers on the motorcycle.
I should be healed up by the time WD's get-together happens, just gotta figure what to ride up there.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #298 - 06/26/13 at 08:58:35

Dave wrote on 06/26/13 at 04:22:48:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/25/13 at 20:14:10:
I just enjoy the curves at a brisk pace......with some reserve left for braking and evasive moves if they become necessary. [/color]

I want future Dragon Riders to know that everyone can ride at their own pace, and that the occasional blast around the corners by some of us will be followed by the group waiting for all riders to catch up and join the group.  It is not a 3 day street race.....but we do sneak in some spirited riding when the opportunity arises. Grin

Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy

All you young little squiddlies, ya'll do plan to come to the mountains with us next year.  

Secret is to start out at the rear of the pack and "ride your own ride" like you always have.   Then you notice how the guy in front of you is doing it, and you start doing that way.   Always copy from the folks in front of you who ride better than you do, that is how you learn.

You come back next year because it was fun, and before long you are in the middle of the pack and are slowly moving up.  Then one day for no reason, it all clicks together and you start to RIDE your motorcycle and you don't even notice it.

Kel was our classic case of this learning progression, he was sitting at dinner one afternoon (on his third trip) arguing that there was no way in hell he was going any 70 mph on the Cherohala Skyway, that his bike wouldn't do 70 on those hills and he can't ride that near fast under those conditions .....

.... until the cell phone with the GPS speed/distance app lit was laid down beside his plate.   74.3 mph top speed, taken from the guy behind him.

He stopped and took a gulp of tea -- he wuz a Dragon Rider now fer shure.

"But we were all just cruising along in a spaced out row, no fuss no bother ...."

For example, Dave rides better than he thinks he does.   He was trying to get home in the rain and was going 65+ along Cruso Rd trying to get back to the cabins so he could take him a hot shower.  

He was wet and he was miserable and he just wanted to get there.  He couldn't read his speedo for all the mist and rain and he wasn't worried about it for much at that point anyway.    I wuz stopped suggesting a stop at a place with an awning to get out of the driving rain but Dave blew on past me, headed for home.   He warn't stopping fer nuthin'.

He made me work to catch him, he did.

Grin

and then on Sunday after packing up to go home, he went back for yet another dose of Dragon .....

..... straighten that road back to horizontal and tilt 'ol Dave over to where he was really riding -- that's a Dragon Rider right there by golly.

He still ain't admitting it to himself, but some day soon he'll pass something out in the real world because "it's just going so durn SLOW I jest can't take it any more" and then he'll remember this and do a golly gee to his forehead over the slow corruption that has crept up upon him.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #299 - 07/04/13 at 11:06:39

Here's dave with the road leveled. He's leaning into it pretty well there.

Glad you all had fun.  Wish I could have come at least for an afternoon.

dave_on_dragon.jpg

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:30:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2013 Dragon Run (early summer)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.