Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 
Send Topic Print
2013 Dragon Run (early summer) (Read 3578 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 2013 Dragon Run (early summer)
Reply #270 - 06/16/13 at 03:48:18

Please excuse the errors I am talking this into my  phone on Saturday.   We went to the Dragon Saturday AM and then we ate lunch at the barbecue place at the Dragon.  Then David I went up to the knife store and then we rode back on highway 32 which is a dragon like road that is 30 miles long then we ate dinner and made it back to the campground and tried to relax a bit.  It was a very full day.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #271 - 06/16/13 at 04:59:06

How was your saturday ride? wish I coulda stood for it. I still have to bring the wifes bike back up there to ride the dragon if my list is gonna get crossed off.
Talked to a friend in alabama last night, he might be able to buy the little 250 honda rebel, so thats one I won't have to ride the dragon with.....lol....
Just got done eatin' breakfast and takin' my meds...so i'll be hot footin' it for home in about an hour, we'll see how far I can get.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #272 - 06/16/13 at 17:04:00

old_rider wrote on 06/16/13 at 04:59:06:
How was your saturday ride?

It was much the same as the same Dragon/knife store run last year.   Only difference was Dave had his new bike and he was willing to let it off its leash a little bit more on Saturday.    He is able to run away from me at will (his bike is much more powerful and is better handling as well).   Dave also gets nearly a 150 pounds in weight savings over my carcass weight plus another 50 pounds due to his stripped clean bike with aluminium rims, etc.

When I say he can spank me at will  if he opens the throttle all the way, I mean it.   Whack it open and Dave wins.

This is his first high speed run on his new bike, and he didn't want to mangle it up by abusing it.  So he didn't whack 'er open all that often.

The newly paved Hwy 32 was finally found and it is Dragon like and it is about 3 times longer than the Dragon.  There is absolutely no traffic on it, no cops on it and the only thing not to like is the leaf and branch debris that is present on the practically deserted road.  

Being all dragon like means the stuff pops up on you right sudden like ....

Shocked Shocked Shocked

MM is talking like he wants to host an event at his farm next year, so we will let him announce his event on another thread.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #273 - 06/16/13 at 17:11:04

Rolled in a few hours ago; the  drive home was difficult with headaches plaguing most of the way but I'm now in loving and comforting hands. Smiley)

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #274 - 06/16/13 at 17:24:34

I just got home around 7:00 PM on Sunday night.  After Old Fellow and I loaded up our bikes I sent OF on his way....I ate Biscuits and Gravy at the campground eatery....figured I would not get a better breakfast anywhere on the road.  For some strange reason my car did not turn toward home when I left the campground........but it turned toward Deals Gap instead!  I could not resist taking a slight detour to take one more run up and down the Dragon.  I arrived at the Dragon Inn about 10:30 and made one run up and back, then ate a BBQ and left about 2:00.  When I left my way home made it necesary that I drive the Dragon in my car and trailer to get home...........it is much more fun on the bike.

I had a great time and am well pleased with how my bike ran.  I think I put about 700 miles on it!

It was nice to see Old Fellow, Lancer, MMRanch again....and meet Old-Rider.  Great bunch of guys to hang out with!

Dave  
« Last Edit: 06/17/13 at 05:36:31 by Dave »  

IMG_0132.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #275 - 06/17/13 at 04:46:43

Sounds like you guys had a great time!  How are you feeling now Old Rider, any better? And thanks for posting pics up for those of us that couldn't make it but would have loved to be there  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #276 - 06/17/13 at 07:05:51

ToesNose wrote on 06/17/13 at 04:46:43:
Sounds like you guys had a great time!  How are you feeling now Old Rider, any better? And thanks for posting pics up for those of us that couldn't make it but would have loved to be there  Wink

I still feel older than all you guys...LOL... and i'm the kid of the group! Tried to call in a appoitment this morning and was told they are full up for the day call back tommorrow morning or go to the ER...not going there! I'll just call back in the morning at 7am and make sure I get on the list.

I took a short video of the campground I think, i'll have to find my camera, haven't unpacked yet....heh... hit the heat pad at 8am when I woke up, got me some coffee, gonna get some breakfast next, then pain pill and maybe by lunch i'll get up enough gumtion to go unpack!

I really enjoyed myself up there, so much so, I can't wait till the next one! Hopefully i'll have my own savage adapted to my likings and be able to ride it there.
After seeing the pictures the wife wants to go up to the campgrounds for a couple days, maybe we can get her up there to ride the dragon...hope the folks up there can stand someone who would corner about 15mph....LOL !

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #277 - 06/17/13 at 08:40:42

dragon...hope the folks up there can stand someone who would corner about 15mph....LOL !

My first year had a lot of 15 mph curves in it too !  Tongue

and

The more the better !  Smiley

besides  ... She can't call ya if she is riding right behind ya ...   Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #278 - 06/17/13 at 08:49:56

Old_Rider wrote:

...hope the folks up there can stand someone who would corner about 15mph....LOL ! [/quote]

OK....The secret to that is to follow some truck or camping trailer on the Dragon.  You can always put the blame on them for holding you back.  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #279 - 06/17/13 at 08:55:05

After Action Report and Discussion

OK, everybody said they liked the Blue Ridge Campground for being more peaceful and serene.   Dave admitted it was peaceful, sometimes too peaceful at times and that he missed the Dragon Lodge "hectic" at times.

I found that I slept better at Blue Ridge, but that has to do with me most likely.   Traded off against that was the walk across the grass to the bathroom, but that wasn't a real big price to pay for the birds singing and the butterflies and such.

Major trip distances are less when based from BRC even with us making a full day loop out of Fontana Dam Road, Dragon and then Cherohala Skyway then down to dinner and then back home.   We picked up a new dragon like road when going to the knife store, Hwy 32 is going to be a big plus for future trips.

Nobody got screwed on room rent at BRC (this always happens at the Dragon Lodge, BTW)

Cabin #4 was an unexpected deal as we could have put 4 people inside it which would have been CHEAPER than even tenting as a one person tent.

Meals are a snap since they feed you every weekend night and we go by Waynesville and Cruso every trip so stopping for dinner is easy.

They have a massive library of bike magazines and books that folks have donated over the years sitting in the lodge area.  Folks have also donated neat stuff like boot dryers and such for folks to use.   Coffee is free in the lodge area 24 hours a day.

Last positive was the all the people our age from all over North America for you to talk to --- when you sit down at the camp fire at BRC the wives keep feeding you free jerky and chips and some hubby is always offering you a mixed drink or a beer.   Most of the folks are couples and the women all ride.  Some are pretty good looking for being our age bracket.  We had folks from Canada to Florida to Oklahoma at our camp fire, so you get a much wider spread of folks riding all sorts of non-crotch rocket bikes.

Compare that to listening to drunk crotch rocket guys brag about how far they slid and how well their leathers protected them from road rash (which is the most common discussion topic at Dragon Lodge camp fire).

Negatives:  

I think BRC seduces the folks who aren't feeling 100% into skipping out on a ride whereas the Dragon Lodge would have encouraged you to ride partially wounded as it is so busy and noisy all the time that nobody wants to stay there during the day.   BRC can keep you in by offering you nice couches and reading material and free coffee and people to go visit with .... and when the ride you are skipping out on is likely gonna be a nasty one then heck yeah, it gets considered.

BRC facilities are not in prime shape compared to years past, the current owner is letting it go downhill a bit.   The TV definitely needs replacing.  Paint in the shower area needs repainting.  Me, I miss the all the little people and all the fairy lights in the bushes .... I miss the previous owners cooking and the wife's skills in landscaping/gardening the place into spots of astonishing beauty.

« Last Edit: 06/18/13 at 03:42:59 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #280 - 06/17/13 at 18:08:59

I've read these accounts with great interest and viewed the pictures.  I can't describe how much I would have liked to have been there.  I would like to see some pictures that identify who is who and I really want to see a picture of Dave's racer bike that OF says can leave everybody behind eating dust!  Thanks OF and OR for all the reports and photos, great stuff.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #281 - 06/17/13 at 18:34:43

I titled most pics, can't see what they say?  I added tags today, check again to see if you can see those.

http://s1047.photobucket.com/user/Orphistle/library/#/user/Orphistle/library/...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #282 - 06/18/13 at 04:15:41

Meet your Chronicler, Old Rider --- the man with the camera.   When you are the Chronicler you generally don't get into the pictures very much, so I made sure to get a few shots of our new Dragoneer.

Old Rider also fulfilled this other job (the one we didn't tell him about).  

You see, he wasn't supposed to be the Volunteer Road Sacrifice, the friend he was bringing with him was supposed to be the one.   But they wuz all tricky on me and the friend was Lancer who the Dragon had already tasted.

(The Dragon always takes a nibble taste of all the riding groups that go up there every year and it is believed that he samples each & every one of us repeat return people eventually given enough time.  

We used to have Toymaker who was the Volunteer Road Sacrifice for year after year -- he seemed to like it ....)

Here is the cabin that Lancer and Old Rider stayed in.   Two single beds set up in parallel, can sleep 3 with one on the floor.

And here is the new best cabin, Cabin #4 --- it can sleep 4 with 2 on the floor.   Also here is a good comparative shot of Dave's Slim Jim vs a standard Savage.

Dave was the best rider of the trip, inexhaustible and always ready to go.  I tried to pound on him with an endless supply of hard riding roads, but if you stopped long enough to keep me going it allowed him to regenerate completely -- a friggin' Energizer Bunny he was.    MM and Dave ought to go riding together, they would cover a WHOLE BUNCH of ground together as they both only have a "GO" button.

Dave keeps the neatest lines you ever saw in a nasty turn, I'd glance back when I finished a tough curve and Dave would be jest sailing right on through it all sweet & neat & clean like .....

---------------------

Dave has been just about fully corrupted now, passing stuff on mountain roads isn't a big deal to him any more.   MM is way past corrupted, he can't even ride with a group of Hurleys any more without working his way up through the pack and waving bye bye to the ride captain.

Lancer oversaw my corruption, so I can't say much about him.

Old Rider wants to come back next year and complete his corruption process.  He won't have a hurt back to hold him up next year.

=============

Why do we have the new person to be the Chronicler?   Because they are fresh, everything is new to them and they are honest about what they see.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #283 - 06/18/13 at 05:31:48

OldFellow:

I might ride smoooth.....but I believe that you and MMRanch are stilll faster riders than I am.  Those tight corners can really come up fast and I have a hard time opening up the throttle too much on the straights, only to find a really sharp curve at the end waiting to take a taste of my flesh.  Those curves can be realy sneaky and start out kind of gentle at the beginning....then get really tight.  I always tried to leave some extra margin for braking hard....in case I needed it.

I have learned a lot on those corners.  I have learned that our bikes are fun, far more nimble than big cruisers and tourers....and that they can't compete with a good rider on a sport bike.  (I did pass one rider on a sport bike that was not very good at cornering).  The tires on the sport bikes are far more glue-like than what we can buy for our bikes, and at one stop I saw a sport bike with racing slicks....big ole soft, sticky, glue like tires.......we don't stand a chance with those guys!

For those considering the Dragon Trip.....we all ride at our own pace and we stop and collect everyone up at the next intersection.  The trips are planned with stops and rest periods that match the temperment and durability of the group....we are not trying to set any endurance records.  It is a fun trip.    

« Last Edit: 03/10/15 at 03:56:48 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #284 - 06/18/13 at 06:29:27

Yup, as long as I am along you can count on stopping about every hour and a half (my leg duration ain't so great).

With MM, you stop whenever he needs gasoline --- and when he was on his Sporty that was too too too long in between.   I'd chase him down and signal for gas whenever my legs started to go bad.

My ride speed really isn't near as good as Big Zuk's was, he was the Jedi Master of the mountain riding at speed on a Savage late braking techniques.   And since he didn't show up this year we dropped back to my lesser speed rates.

Zuk had crazy good braking techniques and he stood on both brakes late into the curve compared to anything I was originally willing to do.  But he taught me that we really can ride that fast in the rain and braking late in a turn ISN'T going to turn you into a pumpkin so I am thankful I got to ride with him for so many years.

Last time Zuk and I rode hard together was that first year you went to the Dragon, Dave.   Remember how both Zuk and I had turned our rotors royal blue (grossly overheated) on the second day?   I pointed it out when we were at the Dragon overlook resting -- it was funny because I was copying his late braking techniques when I was following him and he thought I was pushing on him from behind.   Fat chance that, he was that much better than I was.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:18:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2013 Dragon Run (early summer)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.