Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 20
Send Topic Print
2013 Dragon Run (early summer) (Read 3578 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: 2013 Dragon Run (early summer)
Reply #195 - 05/29/13 at 21:26:03

Hay

I'm with you fellers !

Shocked

What do those "Weather" people know anyway   Huh

Half the time they doin't know which way the wind is going to blow !  and the half they get it right they are only guessing ?

Odd's are most of us need a bath anyway !  Wink

Mabby I'll bring " TWO " decks of cards  ,,, just incase one deck get wet !  Grin

Besides I've got three rain suits and none of them ever get used !  Tongue

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #196 - 05/30/13 at 04:13:45

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/canton-nc/28716/june-weather/12122_pc?monyr=...

Given the best information available (and understanding THAT IT WILL CHANGE OVER THE TWO WEEK LOCK DOWN PERIOD) the trip looks like it maybe will get sprinkled upon slightly sometime or another on mebbe two of the afternoons.   The drift pattern to the right sez this will drop down to mebbe only one afternoon by trip time.

That is pretty much normal for our trips, so I'd say ---- go.  

Remember to bring your sunblock as the UV goes right through the clouds at that altitude and the majority of our days are sunny part of the day anyway.

(here is the prediction at Thursday, May 30th that the "go" is based upon)

Screenshot-Canton_June_Weather_2013_-_AccuWeather_Forecast_for_NC_28716_-_Mozilla_Firefox.png

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #197 - 05/30/13 at 08:43:54

Dave, I called the Blue Ridge Campground people and locked our cabin for Weds-Saturday night.  

We is committed .....      Cheesy

You tent people need to call the Blue Ridge Campground at 828-235-8350 and ask them about cabin cancellations -- with all the crazy weather forecasting we have been tracking lately I bet they got some cancellations and if you are quick you can capitalize on somebody else's short term misfortunes of weatherish judgement.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #198 - 05/30/13 at 11:59:04

Well I am towing my bike down in a trailer.  If we get a downpour.....I can follow you'all around in my car.  I got room to haul some towels!

Why is that lady on the right side of the weather report crynig?  Hasn't she ever seen wet bikers before?

« Last Edit: 05/31/13 at 05:55:56 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #199 - 05/30/13 at 16:04:21

Dave wrote on 05/30/13 at 11:59:04:
Well I am towing my bike down in a trailer.  If we get a downpour.....I can follow you'all around in my car.  I got room to haul some towels!

Why is that lady on the lright side of the weather report crynig?  Hasn't she ever seen wet bikers before?

Sure she has...and she's cryin cause she remembers the smell.....something akin to a wet dog Shocked

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #200 - 06/01/13 at 06:17:33

Ok, fella's, been workin' on the wifes savage so's I could ride it up to NC in a few days, but have noticed a fine film of oil on the filter side housing. Proabably means the big thin "O" ring isn't doing its job, there was a little bit of sealant on the housing when I took it apart, but the seal that was in there was cut (was too small) and extra sealant was in the groove. I cleaned it all up and put it back together without any sealant on the housing but with a new correct sized outter "O" ring, still getting a fine film of oil on the housing after a few rides to town and back but not noticing any loss in oil level so it might not be doing too bad. Not sure I should trust it or the full ride up and back (i've not done a verslavy yet or even broken that side open yet).
Would it be ok if I brought my lil' 300 ninja? I'm thinkin' the harley trike system would make it if I brought a spare, but I don't think i'd like to be riding it in the twisties (pain in the butt to steer).

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #201 - 06/02/13 at 06:54:32

Old-Rider.  Bring whatever you want to ride.  The Savage will probably be fine, and there will be a lot of people there to help fix it.....but ride what you feel comfortable with.

I got my bike "officially ready".  I have the carb where it should be and took the oxygen sensor off and put the chrome pipe on.  On Saturday I rode around a lot.....and fueled up.  I went 136 miles and the bike took 2.4 gallons, which is 57 mpg.

I also added some artwork that I bought on the Dragon Run last year.

« Last Edit: 06/02/13 at 09:10:11 by Dave »  

Side_Panels_002.jpg

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #202 - 06/02/13 at 09:06:11

Yeah, talked to the wife, she won't mind me "adapting" the bike to fit me, so long as I can put it back to how she wants it, and i'm bringing a quart of oil, just in case. I'm gonna look around for a seat cushion or make one, sometimes I think its just my sitting position that causes problems (I slouch alot). I'm changing the oil this week (lol, not saying to which one but its one of the advised ones Roll Eyes ), so it will be fresh and clean, will also change it when I return to see what kind of wear if any it will have. Today i'm adding a power plug for a gps (I dislike maps because I can't remember five minutes later what road I should be on, but will have one for backup) so I can find my way there, i'll trust you all to get me back to camp on the daily rides.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #203 - 06/02/13 at 12:38:18

Added the power plug adapter, works fine, put it with fuse inline, then switch, adapter then grounded it to the frame at the forward rightside reflector, then put a ten amp fuse on it and wondering if I should go to five, the gps only needs 1amp. The switch and adapter are rated at 20amps on sixteen guage wire so I should be good to go, came off the battery post so I wouldn't be in the bike harness.
I'm thinking on tackling the valves because they are rattling louder than the speedo, well least I think they are, I might try a video see how it works and link it up so ya'll can hear them and fill me in on how loud they should or should not sound.
Got a vid uploaded, but the sounds kinda muffles at 1:20, camera does that don't know how to change it, but you can still hear the valves at first.
[url][/url]

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #204 - 06/02/13 at 13:14:33

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/canton-nc/28716/june-weather/12122_pc?monyr=...

Well, we done said very clear like early on that the forecast was gonna change every few days during the two week lock down period.

So far I'm likin' the direction the changes are taking .....

Grin

My bike is the same old dirty grey bike and the exact same tune level I took last time, I too have some oil weep going on at the head area, but mine is likely just the head bolt rubber plug making it's every 10 year appearance yet again.

This trip should finish off the faux BMW touring front tire finally and break the rear tire in good, so rubber wise I am fine.

BRING YOUR SUN SCREEN -- weather man sez he's gonna fry your arms and neck and that little spot where your jeans gap open in the back on four days out of the five with ceaseless harsh brutal cloudless high altitude UV laced low ozone sunshine ......  

(with a daily high of 82F so you can't even sweat decently while your skin is sizzling from the solar death rays)

I am going to go unload my tool box and take it into the kitchen and clean it out and put the tools back in neatly so I can find the stuff I need on the road easier.

-- take the car, bring the toolbox.

(it is a written guy rule, don't cha you know)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #205 - 06/02/13 at 15:06:05

Well, I did it.   Cleaned out the tool box that is.

Stripped all the stuff out of the drawers and pulled the drawers and sprayed all the sawdust out of all the the little cracks and crevices with the garden hose.

..... my tool box sits next to the miter saw, so there is a lot of sawdust .....

All the tools are wiped down and ready to go back in and I have had a thought, a brand new thought.

(for me, anyway)

I have not owned an American based car at any time in the last 25 years.   I buy Nissans and Acuras .....  

Why am I cluttering up my main tool box with inch based sockets and wrenches?

I took them out and put them in a separate basket.   My metric stuff fits a lot better now and I can actually can pick up and carry all the tools I will actually really ever use again.

Next, I started another storage basket for the "speciality tools".   This includes all the modified one off things you did over the years that ruined that particular set of pliers (except for popping off radiator wire curl clamps, which it does very well indeed except they don't use the things any more).

These two changes have cut the carry weight of my tool box in half, easily.

Weight loss is good, being able to find stuff easily is good.  I really didn't toss anything, but am I really going to need all those diamond grit ignition point files ever again?

Specialty tool basket, along with the rest of the obsolete car technology stuff.

==============

Change is something I notice, me, I like watching the stuff roll on along.   Cleaning my tool box was fun because I was able to see the generational effect in a short condensed fashion.

I was raised in post WWII America, and we had the best stuff of anybody.  It was 100% inch based.  

We put Japan back together after the war and sent them our best instructors, like Deming to teach them the theoretical best way to do things.  We couldn't be bothered using SPC ourselves, but the Japanese didn't know any better so they used SPC and continuous improvement and all the other American invented stuff that Americans were too durn lazy to use.   The Japanese started building really good cars, in metric.

America didn't go metric intentionally, we just quit making competitive stuff here in America so we had to buy it from Japan and Mexico and Taiwan and now China (in metric).

I was there, working as a Supplier Quality Engineer when we had to teach the Taiwanese how to build a quality power tool.   At that point in time the Chinese were hopeless, not even Hong Kong attempted to export Chinese power tools to anywhere as the quality was "hammer and file" crude.

Then we NAFTA'd everything America based down to Mexico but we sent the tooling and some of the people with it and it ran as good as it ever did in the USA.    But Mexico then passed a law that all parts had to be metric and all parts had to be produced on tooling that was no older than 5 years old .....  

(get the stupid Gringos to pay for modernizing their manufacturing infastructure is what they were doing)

oopsie .... time to move to Taiwan/India/China.

Inch still exists in furniture
and in a very few items intentionally built expressly to the inch standard.   My Harbor Freight bike trailer is a good example of a Chinese good that was built completely to the inch standard.   Every fastener is inch as well.   This has to do with the old DOT requlations on trailer bolt sizes which don't mention any metric anything.   Trailers are heavily regulated, BTW --- try to get a home built trailer jobbie licensed in North Carolina sometimes.

I thought on this a bit as I scrambled to locate my inch sockets and wrenches to fit the bolts the kit is put together with -- the tools hadn't been used in over 20 years.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #206 - 06/03/13 at 07:34:40

Was the video a success? Kinda wanna know what ya think, or should I post in a trouble shoot area?

Taking the tent outside today to water proof it, just in case and for the dew factor. Only going to bring a foam pad and my "wooly" sleeping bag/blanket.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #207 - 06/03/13 at 08:44:01

old_rider wrote on 06/03/13 at 07:34:40:
Was the video a success? Kinda wanna know what ya think, or should I post in a trouble shoot area?

Taking the tent outside today to water proof it, just in case and for the dew factor. Only going to bring a foam pad and my "wooly" sleeping bag/blanket.

I didn't know it was a video.....I thought it was a photograph.  When I clicked on the photo then it linked me to the video.  I didn't hear anything weird....but then I don't hear high pitched sounds, squeaks or rattles very well anymore.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #208 - 06/03/13 at 09:05:25

I listened to it, sounds normal to me.    Camera microphones aren't the best thing in the world, but what I heard was "normal" enough.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #209 - 06/03/13 at 09:58:41

Huston, we are T-9 days out and counting, with BIG GIGANTIC ENORMOUS sunshine yellow balls visible on each & every single day of the forecast and we are continuing counting down to launch day   ----    T-10, T-9, .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 20
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:30:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2013 Dragon Run (early summer)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.