Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20
Send Topic Print
2013 Dragon Run (early summer) (Read 3578 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 2013 Dragon Run (early summer)
Reply #180 - 05/21/13 at 09:42:23

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/19/13 at 00:30:40:
Riding skills are learned by watching others ahead of you.   If you think you ride well now by the time you finish the trip you will ride much better.  

Don't ever follow someone you can't keep up with too closely in the tight twisty stuff, as you will get sucked into turns that they just breeze all easy like into that you simply can't do at that particular pace.

Example:  don't follow Dave at full speed in the tight twisties.   He rides better than I do.   I can keep up after a fashion, but I have to cheat to do it while he always keeps cutting these nice neat riding lines that never ever drift over the double yellow.  

OF....Thanks for the support and compliment......but I felt like I was learning how to ride from you, MMRanch, BigZuk, Lancer...and the rest of you guys that drag pegs on the corners.  I came home with nary a scratch on my pegs!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #181 - 05/21/13 at 14:34:06

You rode in the #2 or #3 spot the whole time.   I couldn't keep up with BigZuk in #1 spot (never have been able to, really) but I can whup up on MM fairly well as he believes in speed limits.  

I followed you several times and I couldn't keep the same neat lines you did and I did scrub my pegs a goodly bit of the time.   And you did keep up with Zuk, something I can't do.  

Some of that has to do with carrying an extra 100 pounds or more of carcass weight on the light Savage rear suspension .....

Riding your new stripped down RYCA based bike you should be king of the board walk this time out, especially since I grew a few new medical conditions that are going to make me have to be actually be a little bit conservative (compared to year's past anyway).

We'll see how it shakes out when we get there ...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #182 - 05/22/13 at 07:22:10

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/21/13 at 14:34:06:
We'll see how it shakes out when we get there ...

Going to be a good test of your "dark side" rear tire! Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #183 - 05/22/13 at 09:17:57

i've gone on more mountain trips with a darksider tire than with a bike tire, so  I am not really worried about that very much.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #184 - 05/22/13 at 17:43:45

I wish I could make it, sounds like a blast.  All of us who can't go to this event would certainly like to see some videos of you guys wearing down your foot pegs.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #185 - 05/22/13 at 18:31:15

We need to get old-rider to do a daily newbie report to everybody as he will have a fresh perspective as the trip will be all new to him.

I remember when Southpaw was our newbie and he did his daily perspective report for us -- it was very entertaining.

But I was all green colored back then, with warts and all and MM hadn't learned to read speed limit signs and Lancer was still trying to get Rex to run for more than 20 minutes at a lick.

And we all had hair and it wasn't white ....

And we had a Toymaker to provoke us to excess, continually .......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #186 - 05/22/13 at 20:17:57

Guys, I see the light at the end of the tunnel....and it's the darn train heading right for me Shocked . Things around here have gone from bad to downright agravatin,but at least dad is doing much better!

With that said, the trip is just not in the stars for me this year. Maybe WD's meet this fall,but that's a long way off.

And a comment on the riding classes...... OF you're right about trying to keep up and over-riding your lines....it'll git ya! "Ride your own ride" is the word around here amongst the smart folks! Watch the really good riders and soon you'll be one of them Wink. Enjoy the ride ...I'll be thinking of all of you!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #187 - 05/26/13 at 11:09:14

We are 3 weeks out from trip time -- weather is drifting about one day each week as we get closer (with the 12th all clear now and the drizzly day on the 13th with the drift continuing).

Look for this "one day later" thing to continue drifting as we get closer in to the actual week of the ride.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/canton-nc/28716/june-weather/12122_pc?monyr=...

We spit on the ride in one week, so keep looking at the weather and say if you have any reservations come the spit day which is .....

Friday, May 31st

This is the day we commit or we abort on the trip -- the last day to cancel on the cabins without cost.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #188 - 05/27/13 at 19:02:27

Thinking now on just riding the wifes savage all the way up there. Its running really well, just valve tappage is all i'm hearing. I'll change the oil and inspect everything I can. Here is the setup i'm going with if I ride the round trip (although the seat is not as comfortable as i'd like it to be, after about 1-2 hours my lower back hurts a little depending on my sitting position.
I will strap my tent and pad and sleeping bag on top of the cooler and luggage bag.

What do ya think? My rain suit is in the right side saddle bag, my mini compessor, green tire goo and tools are in the left saddle bag, and all my personals will be in the big bag. The cooler can be used for beverages/food or just for waterproof storage.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #189 - 05/27/13 at 20:42:51

Rain every day ! Sad Sad Sad

How about the last week of June ?  Huh Huh Cool

I've got BoyScout Summer Camp the week after Father's day.

Old Rider
Best to put the light stuff high and the heavy stuff low .  Thinking about the tent on top reminds me of SouthPaw.   He had a duffle bag vertical on the seat reaching for the sky.  It didn't work-out too good .   I've had some sucess with the tent below the headlight tied to the bottom of the tripple tree, but my tent is kinda heavy duty.  Smiley  Just saying ...

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #190 - 05/28/13 at 05:50:03

Just have a small oak creek two man fiberglass pole hexagone tent, wieghs bout 7lbs. And a 30degree and above sleeping bag, small lighwieght, unless I bring the bigger one, its your average sleeping bag, just bulky not too heavy and it might make a good headrest LOL... Grin
The tools and raingear are heavy and in the saddles, big square bag might be a problem as the little seat might not keep it upright very well. I might have to improvise a bit more.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #191 - 05/28/13 at 06:22:26

Look at the weather report again and start talking about a potential reschedule .... MM is asking for a cancel and reschedule due to the predicted weather for the week of the 12th.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/canton-nc/28716/june-weather/12122_pc?monyr=...

He is suggesting the last week in June but he needs to get more specific about the dates and such.

BEFORE YOU GET ALL HYPED UP ABOUT THE WEATHER, go look at it again.   This is North Carolina mountain weather and the predictions change every day and now they say sunshine on the 12th and 13th with only a small percent chance of occasional light rain the rest of the time, generally in the afternoon.   Duh, that is typical mountain weather ....  it happens anyway if predicted or not.   Sunday is now your "worst day" and that will slip off the trip zone with the next prediction.

I have noted that the entire prediction pattern is slipping over one day for every 4-5 days, like the overall weather pattern is moving slower across the nation and isn't going to arrive as fast as they thought a week ago.

Literally, the weather predictions will change again the night before we go and will only be 80% accurate even then.

The general drift in the forecast has been away from rain towards sunshine.   Actually, it is like they predict 50% chance of occasional rain as their generic, then they refine to "more real" inside the last couple of weeks.

Like I said, go look at it again and always talk to the current forecast whenever you post comments.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #192 - 05/28/13 at 19:51:15

Yep, this being the SE section of the US, there will always be weather systems moving across and there is no dependable way to know when or where it may or may not throw some rain out of the "rain warehouse" up above.
Trying to second or third or fourth guess what will happen 3 or 4 weeks out is just fanciful thought.  
Might as well go with current plans and pray daily trusting God will take care of things...and if not then thank Him for the refreshing rain.   Wink
GO FOR IT DUDES !

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #193 - 05/28/13 at 21:34:43

Yeah, my last trip was supposed to be really nice, but turned out crappy, first day was beautiful tho and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Second day rained, but had a blast at some local eateries and walkin' in the cold rain, LOL. Third day started out crappy but that afternoon we rode for a bit and had a good time. Our trip home was only wet when we got 6 miles from home, then it poured! was only wet for about 10 minutes and I stripped in the garage! The trip was a good one tho and we enjoyed it because of the company we had....

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #194 - 05/29/13 at 05:23:14

They roll the forecast dice again every two to four days apparently and the rain generally shifts to the right one slot.

What I have learned is that the mountain forecast CHANGES too durn much to be useful as a two week out tool, that as always you are going to get rained on some in the afternoons as you ride around out there somewhere.

Still, on Friday we will all have the chance to vote go or no.   As of now I don't see any steady rain predicted anywhere for our time period, just some occasional afternoon showers on Thursday & Friday (ie normal mountain weather).

But that forecast will change at least 5 times during that two week cabin lock-down period.   Heck, it will likely change again by Friday.

« Last Edit: 05/29/13 at 09:19:02 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:19:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2013 Dragon Run (early summer)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.