Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 20
Send Topic Print
2013 Dragon Run (early summer) (Read 3578 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 2013 Dragon Run (early summer)
Reply #15 - 01/04/13 at 02:17:27

Zar, you can come for a day -- you are local enough.   Lots of folks drop by for a few hours, chat for a bit then leave when they must.  Or they plan to stay a single night (we generally have free floor space in a cabin between the set beds).

OK, We got 3 people good for a Wednesday afternoon arrival.  Which Wednesday is still up to NewRiverJunkie when he gets his drill weekends all straightened out.

Cabin #1
Dave                        staying Weds-Friday/Saturday block,  prepaid
Oldfeller                      staying Weds-Friday/Saturday block,  prepaid

Diamond Jim                  staying Weds-Friday/Saturday block
New River Junkie          (still working on it)

New River Junkie is still tied up in his thinking with the previous months holiday week   (he doesn't get it that we AVOID holiday weeks like the plague due to car traffic and all the endless Hurleys on the roads, that we like quiet empty roads with no rolling road blocks holding us up everywhere ...)

We are currently considering Wednesday June 5th or Wednesday June 12 as theoretical start days, running to the following weekend.   Ending will get all raggedy like it normally does, but by staying at Blue Ridge Cabins we can downsize the $$ bite accordingly as needed.

==================

FAIR WARNING:  all the mountain staying places will clip your butt for the extra days if you leave early on a weekend.  

Blue Ridge is better than most places, they allow you to pick a Friday/Saturday block or a Saturday/Sunday block.
I would pick the Friday/Saturday block, personally.

Smart people plan their trip to hit the start of our little excursions, and plan to sleep through Friday/Saturday block on a prepaid basis.   Then, if you want to stay longer you can combine with somebody that has some free space.  Otherwise, you or somebody gets screwed a bit by the weekend clause.

Example, I will find who else is gonna go on Wednesday and find out who is arriving first hauling a truck or a trailer.   I send them a check for my entire planned stay at $25 a night (half the cabin with the taxes included) so they have the money on hand to give to the Blue Ridge folks as a straight out up front cash sale which is the best way to do it.  Then, if I get back busted or whatever and have to leave early, nobody is out any money on my account.

Trouble always shows up at the end of these things when the person holding the cabin gets screwed up by folks leaving early on a weekend when the cabin holder is locked into renting the cabin for the entire two day block.  

Now these little 2 man cabins aren't that bad if this happens, but that 7 man apartment at the Dragon Lodge could easily hurt you for like nearly a hundred dollars a day when a couple of folks decide to cut out early.

So, plan your stay days carefully and when you commit, you will be willing to mail a check to the guy holding the room for the entire stay you committed to.  This is only fair.

Example:  I brought a guest to this past Dragon that I knew was a multi-years-long bike fixer and experienced rider.  He also had a bad back and a fixation on speed limits which I really didn't know all that much about ahead of time.  I prepaid Lancer for his bunk in the Dragon apartment for the whole stay and the dude left after the first night.  Lancer wasn't out any for his back issues and him leaving, but Lancer did get clipped a bit by the Dragon Lodge for other folks that chose to leave early.

So, pair up and send money to the person holding the room (the first person who is going to arrive).  Deal in cash with the Blue Ridge people if you can (tell them you don't have a credit card if you have to).  

Be aware that they want you to rent either Fri-Sat or Sat-Sunday as a locked together block if you are going to stay into the weekend.

Remember, if you plan to sleep on Saturday and leave on Sunday and you don't declare a Friday/Saturday block, then you are agreeing up front to donate $45 to the Blue Ridge people.

« Last Edit: 01/04/13 at 10:21:52 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 01/04/13 at 10:15:30

Diamond Jim, Dave says he will bring a cot for him to sleep on so if you get no Wednesday-Friday/Sat taker to share a cabin with you can stay in our cabin 3 up with us until somebody shows up to fill out that second cabin.

Conversely, if you do fill out your cabin and NewRiverJunkie shows up and is odd-man-out we will take him in with us.

It all generally works out OK in the end anyway.      Cheesy

ya see, they got this comfy big 'ol couch in the lounge and I have been known to crash out there after a bathroom trip rather than walk back to the cabins ...

Plus, since we always go on off weeks they always have lots of empty cabins so we can always pick one up as needed.  So, Diamond Jim can stay with us until somebody else rings in that they are going Wednesday-Friday/Saturday.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #17 - 01/04/13 at 10:56:54

Sounds good to me.

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #18 - 01/04/13 at 12:14:13

Another possibility is setting up a tent. Usually I would rather get an air conditioned room, but it doesn't look like the cabins have a/c. Also it will be earlier in the year than the regular dragon trip, so it'll be cooler anyway. That might be an option for me (if I can make it this year).

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 01/04/13 at 14:21:09

If it's the same place some of us a few years back the little cabins do have a/c.  They are tiny, clean and spartan.  Bathroom/showers are in a central building about 75' away.

Lancer, we stayed in the one with the ceiling fan.  What you remember is the electrical wall heater unit I think.  We won't be needing AC during the time we are going this year -- it will be cooler weather at night.

« Last Edit: 01/05/13 at 01:31:57 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 01/05/13 at 12:26:03

Fair warning:

While we are on the subject of Whoo Hooo !!! we need to be clear and up front about some things about these little trips.  

Speed limits are relative once you get on the NC side of the Dragon.   All NC unmarked road sections have a default speed limit of 55 which in the NC mountains is complete unobtainium once you get up into the real curves.  You simply can't go that fast up on those roads.

The little NC curve speed suggestions they post for each of the bad curves can be very helpful as it allows you to KNOW upfront just how bad the approaching curve can be.  Me, I know if I am going over 2x the marked speed to slow down to 10 over the marked curve speed.

Next, since BigZuk may not be coming this year due to his back troubling him, Dave and I will likely be up front at the head of the pack.  Dave rides better than I do (neat clean lines always) but I tend to be a little crazier and sloppier than Dave.  

BigZuk was the very best/craziest mountain rider of the lot of us, no holds barred.  But all of us have been doing this for pushing a decade now and despite all of us getting older the pace we ride at might not be something you can do.  

Especially if you are pushing a 600 pound bike around them tight arsed corners ......

So, we tend to string out by bike weight and skills and very quickly you figure out who is safe for you to be following behind.   I will follow Dave or Zuk, then if I get a wild hair I'll go out in front for a bit.

Tennessee is completely biker unfriendly and is in real need of some ticket revenue dollars to try to take better care of their roads.  THE DEFAULT SPEED LIMIT IN TENNESSEE IS 45 MPH.  When in Tennessee you need to stay within a few miles of whatever stupid speed limit signs they stick up or they will give you A BIG ASSED TICKET.  The last speed limit sign you saw applies until you see the next one, so if they say 20 mph and don't post a sign for the next 20 miles, you are stuck at 20 mph.  You will notice we stay in NC most all of the time (intentionally) and we ride sanely when inside Tennessee if we go there.

Rolling Road Blocks   are the endless delight of a mountain trip and give us most of the trills that we get.   Lancer got to maximize these thrills by getting caught out and having to do his classic "split the lane" right over the yellow line with opposing direction cages passing within a foot or so of him on either side  
(with him leaned over in a curve no less).   Remember the Lancer yellow line trick, it can save your butt if you need to use it.  Just focus your total mind on keeping your front wheel right on the yellow line and don't even look up at the cages as they whip past you -- they will move over to the edge of the road to miss you.

I personally never mastered that trick, it is too too butt puckering for me to even consider.

So we aim the trip week to avoid the on the road traffic in as much as we can.  What does exist, we can pass safely.

Harley Davison Deathmobiles   Hurleys are like big fat lemmings, they follow each other into deadly situations like ducks in a row.  THEY WILL NOT STAY IN THEIR LANE, they like to swerve over and use half of yours when oncoming on the Dragon.   90% of the fatal Dragon crashes involve Hurley riders ....

Trucks and Panel Vans    16 wheelers are banned from the Dragon now, but smaller trucks and panel vans still come on it.  They are longer than the turn radius on a lot of the Dragon curves and swing over into your lane accordingly.   However, they are so big and so slow they have a huge mass of traffic being held up both ways which alerts you that one is in front of you.

Sports Bike Riders  go past you so fast they are gone in a blink.   So, they are gone already, don't spend time worrying about them.

After your first Dragon Run you will find out that you are a better rider than you ever thought you were.  
And you will carry these reserve skill levels with you for the rest of your life.

« Last Edit: 01/06/13 at 00:52:56 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #21 - 01/06/13 at 08:03:03

Hey just a question for planning purposes.  What are the helmet laws in NC and TN.  For instance I have a DOT modular but prefer to wear my half helmet.  Will that fly up there?

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f*%# with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 01/06/13 at 13:13:04

Bugs will be your practical issue with the half-helmet.  I wear a full face shield and I take it in and de-bug it in the bathroom every time we stop for something to eat or drink.  

You'll be in there trying to get them little black no-see-um gnats off your teeth and them big 'ol yellow splatting Monarch Butterflies can be plumb fun too ....   plus it is right nippy cool when we first take out in the AM, too cool for a half helmet.

But a half helmet is legal, no sweat with the law in any of the states as long as the half helmet carries a DOT sticker.  

(note: many half helmets do not have the DOT sticker on them and that alone will get you a ticket all by its lonesome in Tennessee, the home of "a ticket for every unjust cause")

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #23 - 01/06/13 at 19:36:32

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/06/13 at 13:13:04:

Bugs will be your practical issue with the half-helmet.  I wear a full face shield and I take it in and de-bug it in the bathroom every time we stop for something to eat or drink.  

You'll be in there trying to get them little black no-see-um gnats off your teeth and them big 'ol yellow splatting Monarch Butterflies can be plumb fun too ....   plus it is right nippy cool when we first take out in the AM, too cool for a half helmet.

But a half helmet is legal, no sweat with the law in any of the states as long as the half helmet carries a DOT sticker.  

(note: many half helmets do not have the DOT sticker on them and that alone will get you a ticket all by its lonesome in Tennessee, the home of "a ticket for every unjust cause")

So OF,from what you are saying,I assume that unlike my home state of Kentucky,a helmet is mandatory on Tenn and NC ?  

AS to yer little buggy friends....even though I do forgo the lid much of the time I do find a pair of bugeye goggles handy.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #24 - 01/06/13 at 20:29:53

I just checked  the mileage from Louisville to Deals Gap. Looks like just over 300 miles. If I figure an average trip speed of 45mph(factored for towns heavy traffic and construction zones) running the two lanes and another hour for fuel stops/rest breaks(figuring 100 mile fuel runs) I can make it in 8 hours. I've never tried to make a run of that length before so if I can get away I'll need three days,two on the road and another to enjoy with you guys. That may take some extra finagelin...........  Of course I can always find a "roach motel" in some small town in southern Kentucky and still have a full day with you all. What's the latest you have to know on all this OF?

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 01/06/13 at 21:28:12

OK, We got 4 people possibly good for a Wednesday through Sunday trip, arriving and leaving scattershot.  Which Wednesday is still up to NewRiverJunkie when he gets his drill weekends all straightened out.

We are currently considering Wednesday June 5th or Wednesday June 12 as theoretical start days, running to the following weekend.   Ending will get all raggedy like it normally does, but by staying at Blue Ridge Cabins we can downsize the $$ bite accordingly as needed.

Cabin #1
Dave                        staying Weds-Friday/Saturday block,  prepaid
Oldfeller                      staying Weds-Friday/Saturday block,  prepaid

New River Junkie             (still working on it)
Zar                                  (considering it)

Zar, the place is here, not at the Dragon.   You just cut almost 3 hours off your inbound trip.   We will go to the Dragon and likely ride through it going places several times but we are not planning to stay there.

general info at http://www.blueridgemotorcyclecamp.com/#

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 01/06/13 at 22:11:26

Open the question up about actually staying at the Dragon .....

Dragon room #1
Dave                        staying Weds-Friday/Saturday block
Oldfeller                      staying Weds-Friday/Saturday block

We have 3 committed people (one room's worth) of committed full span staying people.  The room cost for 3 people (room always stays full) works out to $25 a night (same cost as the little cabins).  

Where it gets sloppy is that second room which never stays full and the folks staying in it wind up paying like $33-$65 a night when it isn't full.  

The next point is the Dragon always screws with you if you do ANYTHING other than stay "filled up" the exact full time that you reserved.   This is why we went with the Blue Ridge cabins as they scale up easier and aren't all gougy about it if you have an extra person in the cabin and the bite for being one up is a lot less.   $45 vs $69

So, I leave it up to you guys.  The Dragon is better accommodations with your own private shower and bathroom.  We are now at the very bottom end of the Dragon number range with 3 committed people.  If we go Dragon, you know what you are signing up for in that second room.

NewRiverJunkie, we need your reservist drill weekend information about us starting on either the 5th or the 12th of June.

« Last Edit: 01/07/13 at 08:07:02 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #27 - 01/07/13 at 14:05:34

Oldfeller, I'll go with whatever you recommend.

IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #28 - 01/07/13 at 15:07:06

Either weekend will work for me.  I have AT starting the 22nd of the month so I'm clear for the first couple weeks of June (although the week of the 5th would be my personal pick but I'm good for either one).  My preference would be to stay at that Blue Ridge campground place...seems cheaper if we run into people having to duck out early and all, and cheap is always better for me.  Cool  Plus it kinda sounds thrilling to ride an hour and a half through the mountains to get to the Dragon.  Cool Grin Cool Grin  But I'm pretty open to anything just let me know who I need to get money to and the address that I'm going to and I'll keep y'all updated on my status.  My buddy with the Intruder is still unsure because we are still trying to get it on the road.  I'm thinking about riding up there rather than trailering since it's only about 4.5 hours to that campground...plus stops for fuel so I should be good to get in around 9pm or so on that Friday...assuming I don't leave work early that day but I still got some time to figure that out.  Wink

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f*%# with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #29 - 01/07/13 at 16:31:56

newriverjunkie wrote on 01/07/13 at 15:07:06:
My preference would be to stay at that Blue Ridge campground place...seems cheaper if we run into people having to duck out early and all, and cheap is always better for me.  Cool  Plus it kinda sounds thrilling to ride an hour and a half through the mountains to get to the Dragon.  Cool Grin Cool

Wife and I stay for free at Harrah's Casino in Cherokee when we go up that way.  Nice place but no motorcycle atmosphere.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 20
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:32:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2013 Dragon Run (early summer)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.