Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20
Send Topic Print
2013 Dragon Run (early summer) (Read 3578 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: 2013 Dragon Run (early summer)
Reply #165 - 05/04/13 at 09:39:33

MMRanch          (who doesn't check in often enough to keep up with the changes and who hasn't made any reservations yet either, so he is likely reverting to his tent)

Grin Grin Grin

OK  Smiley   :   Thanks for trying to get me in a cabin ,  back when I was working " FULL  TIME "  I needed a cabin/cot  couse my back was in a constant state of anagoniee .   I've been retired (early/reduced $)  6 years now  and can do a sleeping bag just as easy as a cot.  So , I doin't feel the need to reserve a cabin.   However if it works out where someone is having to pay the full price of a cabin from lack of someone to split it with , then I'll take the slack up for em and be glad for the company.  Smiley

I'm wanting to run hwy 80 from end to end , ride up to Mt.Mitchel again, and did we ever do that other run that's named after the other reptile (was it Cobra ?/near the Dutch? village).   I might have to get there tuesday instead of wensday just to get more riding in !

There is a web-site called "Roads and Rides" but I haven't looked at it in a while.   That's where I got the maps last year.   I get to looking at all the places to go in that area and want to do all of them , them my computer gets Druell all over it , and it turns into a big mess .   so I kinda stay away from it most of the time .   Tongue

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #166 - 05/04/13 at 15:54:31

Yes, we did the Diamondback up near Little Switzerland, it was over pumped and not as good as the Dragon by a long shot -- the only fun part of it was the one little section that was falling off the mountainside in three steps/stages with a six inch fall off between sections (on an outside turn to boot).

Eeeeeek !!  Where did the road go ???  I'm flying all heeled over in a turn here you idiots !!!  
And here comes two more just like it !!!  
Eeeeek !!   Eeeeek !!

Other than that, it was forgettable.   Except for this Hurley Sportster dude shelling out his primary crankshaft teeth trying to bust out on a couple of Savages that is.  

Saturday, we go up to the knife store so we can see you part of the way on your way back home.   We will go a way that has 28 miles of near dragon like freshly paved road .....    Cool

So, Mount Mitchell won't be hard at all, we are a lot nearer to it for one thing and we know to take an NC road map with us and NOT to trust the tourist maps at all.   Heck, we could get tricky and just go straight north on the Blue Ridge Skyway getting on it just uphill from the camp ground.

Getting lost is our art form though, we find our very best roads that way.

The only challenge on the trip is trying to find Lancer's road up over the top of that 7 switchback mountain .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #167 - 05/06/13 at 12:50:43

My PET scan came back "no anomolies noted", so no rads or chemo, next scan in 3 months, doc said if I feel like it do it!
See youz guyz there! Now to see about the ultra pack mod...LOL Shocked

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #168 - 05/06/13 at 13:34:23

Yep, a good report from the Doc can be downright invigorating !   Wink

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #169 - 05/08/13 at 17:03:46

Somehow I think this might affect your cornering and balance a little bitty bit ......

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #170 - 05/09/13 at 04:14:23

Actually its not as heavy as you would think, i'll throw it on the scales after momma gets up, so I don't wake her.
Just doin' it for grocery runs or when ever we wanna do a little shoppin', and I'll probably bring it with me to the dragon meet just to get a look at them hurley guyz faces.  Shocked

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #171 - 05/12/13 at 19:38:42

Well, we are at one month out and counting down from 30 .....

Does everybody know where they are sleeping?

Has everybody said when they are arriving and leaving?

======================   Here is where we are right now --

Dave has a running bike and it is looking very nice for a Beta 1.0 test bed bike.  

Old-rider has a cabin reserved and MM will back him up with a tent for Friday night.

Zar is dealing with what comes with his Dad, like he needs to do.

Weather is warming up now, so we should be able to pull down a 2 week weather forecast for the area as our next required step.

======================

THE TRIP:   Wednesday, June 12th arrival day at Blue Ridge Motorcycle Cabins/Campground.  Leaving Sunday AM (Father's day)

OK, We got 5 people good for a Wednesday, June 12th afternoon arrival.  We got three coming "as they are able to come".   We have confirmed rental of two cabins.   We have a third cabin or tent in the works but the cabin is not actually reserved yet.

Heated Cabin #1       (Dave and I are staying in their cabin #4)
Dave                          staying Weds-Friday/Saturday block,  confirmed
Oldfeller                        staying Weds-Friday/Saturday block,  confirmed

Heated Cabin #2
old-rider                          staying Weds-Thurs in cabin, confirmed, switching to tent on Friday
old-rider's buddy               staying Weds-Thurs in cabin, confirmed, switching to tent on Friday

Cabin or Tent
MMRanch          (who doesn't check in often enough to keep up with the changes and who hasn't made any reservations yet either, so he is likely reverting to his tent)

2 man Tent
New River Junkie             possibly/mebbe staying Saturday night
Serenity                         staying one night, variable date
Zar                               staying ???

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #172 - 05/17/13 at 10:23:17

I'm not gonna make it to this year's gathering.  APPLICABLE CLICHE`S:  I've got "too many irons in the fire" and they're getting hot all at once.  Things I've been trying to "keep on the back burner" have slid up to the front burner and are about to spill into my lap.  I haven't been "watching my pots" and they've all started to boil.

Oh well, maybe my "absence" will make your "hearts grow fonder."  Hope ya'll have a great time.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #173 - 05/17/13 at 22:16:54

Guy
you have to come and drop off that front sprocket !   This big rear tire woin't last forever and then I'll need to get the taller gear another way... Wink

besides

We need to see ya for at least one day !  Cheesy

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #174 - 05/18/13 at 05:31:28

Yeah, I've got your sprocket, Mike.  My bike is still in process of re-assembly so I don't have anything to ride.  Maybe ya'll can come see me at my Black Mountain property toward the end of the week.  I should have a standing garage by then.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #175 - 05/18/13 at 12:19:59

Mike, plan a day to go to see Serenity at Black Mountain then go up to catch some snowflakes at the top of Mount Mitchell -- they aren't that far apart after all.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #176 - 05/18/13 at 20:10:40

Guy how far are ya from Mitchell ?   How about you put in a fire pit and We'll bring some Dogs and Chips ?

Cheesy

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #177 - 05/18/13 at 23:48:30

If we were going up the Parkway to get to Mount Mitchell, then Black Mountain would be a <10 mile on each leg on I-40 type side trip.

However, mountain roads being what they are, and the Parkway being what it is, the entire Mount Mitchell trip to and back on the Parkway would take a full half a day to do it and the gas tank mileage would get stretched to the 80 mile mark in several places on the Parkway loops.

But that isn't an issue since I can carry a spare gallon gas jug in my saddle bags.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #178 - 05/19/13 at 00:30:40

Let's see, required items to bring with you.

Sun block (if you don't put it on your neck and arms you will regret it)

Full face helmet with bug shield if you don't have a wind shield on your bike.   A full face shield sure is nice when a shower starts or the butterflies or the june bugs get bad.     (june bug = death beetle)

Bring a jacket and some long sleeved shirts, you will need them in the mornings as it is still quite cool when we pull out.    You peel them off by lunch time and stuff them into your bags.   Bring riding gloves.

YOU MUST BRING A REAL GENUINE NORTH CAROLINA ROAD MAP and carry it with you at all times.    We have had riders get left at a gas stop before accidentally and they needed that map to get back to home base.

====================

Let's see, for the new folks going on the trip for the first time some basic understandings that need to be stated clearly.  

We ride strung out with fastest in front and the slowest lagging back behind.   It is your responsibility to keep up with the group, to stay within eyesight of the people in front of you.  

Riding rates change up according to the terrain.  When it gets all knarly & twisty we generally whoop with joy and go faster ....  but on more open roads where cops might be lurking we generally stay within eyesight of the posted speed limit.

At stops, you get gas and get a drink or snack and take a piss.   We stop every tank full, so we don't generally ride but for one to two hours at a lick.   Failure to try to take a piss when stopping can get way past uncomfortable before the next stop comes around, so generally try to take a piss at every stop if you can.

Drink stuff.   You can get dehydrated from the constant wind and the joy of the mountain roads without thinking about it ....

If you start hurting, say so.   I will be saying so if I need to, so you can too if you want to.   We have cut jaunts short when 2 or more got to hurting pretty good, enough so to say so anyway.  We can also split the group up and let a couple limp home if need be, so understand that cutting it off short is in the cards when you ride with a group of old creaky people.

Riding skills are learned by watching others ahead of you.   If you think you ride well now by the time you finish the trip you will ride much better.  

Don't ever follow someone you can't keep up with too closely in the tight twisty stuff, as you will get sucked into turns that they just breeze all easy like into that you simply can't do at that particular pace.

Example:  don't follow Dave at full speed in the tight twisties.   He rides better than I do.   I can keep up after a fashion, but I have to cheat to do it while he always keeps cutting these nice neat riding lines that never ever drift over the double yellow.  

When we go up to the Dragon, you are in flat danger from the other riders.  They can't stay in their lanes and want to use half of yours ....  so expect it.    We have never gone up to the Dragon without there being at least one wreck while we were up there (outside our group of course) so don't let crazy johnny road racer take you out with him.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #179 - 05/19/13 at 00:55:39

Weather is looking about "mountain normal" on the long forecast, with the only actual light rain predicted being on the arrival day when we are trucking the bikes up to Blue Ridge Campground.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/canton-nc/28716/june-weather/12122_pc?monyr=...

Always read this with fore knowledge that it rains every afternoon somewhere out on our various riding loops, and we stop and eat dinner when it starts to look nasty and it is generally dry by the time we finish eating.   And that we always get wet at least once, but always dry out fairly quickly from the riding wind.

So, apart from the arrival day on the 12th, we look good to go moisture wise.

Also note the forecast changes the closer in you get, with actual rain percentages quoted inside the last couple of weeks.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:24:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2013 Dragon Run (early summer)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.