Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20
Send Topic Print
2013 Dragon Run (early summer) (Read 3578 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 2013 Dragon Run (early summer)
Reply #120 - 03/28/13 at 08:54:53

Here is where we stand right now -- if you are planning on coming and don't see yourself please do speak up.    

We got us some second hand info about some folks plans, so this is really a meatball guess right now as some folks have not roll called lately.  

============

THE TRIP:   Wednesday, June 12th arrival day at Blue Ridge Motorcycle Cabins/Campground.  Leaving Sunday AM (Father's day)

OK, We got 5 people good for a Wednesday, June 12th afternoon arrival.  We got two coming "as they are able to come".   We have confirmed rental of one cabin and one tent at this time.   We have one cabin full "floating in the wind" as the cabin is not reserved yet.

Heated Cabin #1
Dave                             staying Weds-Friday/Saturday block,  prepaid
Oldfeller                        staying Weds-Friday/Saturday block,  prepaid

Heated Cabin #2
Diamond Jim                  staying Weds-Friday/Saturday block
Zar                                   staying Weds-Friday
New River Junkie             possibly/mebbe staying Saturday night, prefers cabin

2 man Tent #1
MMRanch                   staying Weds-Friday
Serenity                         staying one night, variable date

Folks we need to hear directly from about their current plans are Diamond Jim, New River Junkie and Serenity.

« Last Edit: 03/29/13 at 05:25:42 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #121 - 03/29/13 at 03:40:37

Sorry for the delay in my response guys.  Things have been hectic in the Junkie household with the birth of our second.  OF as of right now I am a possible because of my new job situation I do not think I will be able to make it and that truly bums me out.  If I do make it I'll strap a tent to the bike in case there is no ca mebin space for me.

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f*%# with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #122 - 04/04/13 at 04:35:23

Well, Zar and I have both tried to get up with Diamond Jim over the last 2 months and we both have failed to do so.

MM, you want to team up with Zar and take the cabin?   He's interested.

That way when the one day guys show up we can put them on an air mattress or we can toss them a rolled up tent to put up for that night.   The cost to them is pretty much the same either way and we can't plan for folks who don't have any plans to share with us.

And that is why we picked this place, they tend to have open cabins during the week and they have a TON of tent space nearby the cabins.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #123 - 04/04/13 at 18:40:17

Calling MMRanch....Calling Diamond Jim.....Time to speak up for space in the bunkhouse! And if any of the members are or can be in contact with these guys,let them know we're looking for them.

If we don't here from these guys in another week or so I'll be looking for some one to split a cabin with for Wed and Thurs nights.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #124 - 04/04/13 at 22:25:01

ZAR......

I'm staying wensday, thursday, friday  nights and will need a place.   I'll bring a tent for back-up. but a cabin is OK too !

Weather its a tent or cabin doin't mater much to me.   So if someone who needs a bunk comes along they can have the other half of your's ...  but .... if its unspoken for  at the time I'll split rent with ya !  Smiley      And if all the cabins are gone I'll still have a two man tent with doors on both ends , our Boy Scout troop has a bunch of really nice matching tents and I'm ScoutMaster . Cheesy      one is all I want to tote

There was a time before I retired that I needed a cot , I know how living with a back-acke   Sad  can be.    sometime its plenty serious !!!

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #125 - 04/05/13 at 08:50:58

We are less than 2 months out and are refining our plans to the real level -- if you are planning on coming and don't see yourself please do speak up right away.    

============

THE TRIP:   Wednesday, June 12th arrival day at Blue Ridge Motorcycle Cabins/Campground.  Leaving Sunday AM (Father's day)

OK, We got 4 people good for a Wednesday, June 12th afternoon arrival.  We got two coming "as they are able to come".   We have confirmed rental of one cabin and one tent at this time.   We have a second cabin in the works but the cabin is not actually reserved yet.

Heated Cabin #1
Dave                          staying Weds-Friday/Saturday block,  prepaid
Oldfeller                        staying Weds-Friday/Saturday block,  prepaid

Heated Cabin #2
Zar                               staying Weds-Friday
MMRanch                   staying Weds-Friday

2 man Tent #1
New River Junkie             possibly/mebbe staying Saturday night
Serenity                         staying one night, variable date

Folks we need a current update from (whenever their plans solidify)  Diamond Jim, New River Junkie and Serenity.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #126 - 04/08/13 at 05:26:00

I am still in for the trip......

I have been working long hours on the Cafe' conversion and hope to be able to bring it to ride.  If I absolutlyl can't get it done in time, I will rent a bike and come ride with ya'll.  It amazes me how long some of this stuff takes.....I spent all day Saturday and Sunday building and installing a battery box and doing some wiring - and they were both 12-14 hour days!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #127 - 04/08/13 at 22:14:18

You'll get it done, we are still two solid months away from trip time.

Here is a way to make sure it is ridable -- when you are three weeks out, stop changing things and concentrate just on finishing up what you have in motion at that time.  Call it Beta Test version 1.0 in your mind, the proof of concept model, the one that is not expected to be totally complete in all aspects.  Cosmetics be dammed, will it ride OK?

You may not have everything diced the way you finally want it, but let me tell you a secret -- it will NEVER be totally the way you want it because what you want will change on you periodically.

Now, a question .....  if this is a cafe you are building, how did you go about making it comfortable enough to ride hard for 4 hours at a lick?  

Bring it on the trip, definitely, because you need to learn something that the trip will be able to teach you -- before you finish building it all the way to "painted beautiful".  

You see, you gots to build in some ride-ability and some comfort or else you are building another "looks good" garage toy that can only run up to the bar and back before it starts killing your butt/back/wrists/shoulders etc.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #128 - 04/09/13 at 07:30:23

OF......I am concentrating on making it rideable at this point.  The important stuff like brakes, lights, controls, seats, license plate,muffler,  etc.  I am not going to worry about paint, body panels, etc.  I want time to ride it around and ge the jetting right, as I have just put on a carb I got from Lancer, the new air filter, and a new exhaust I have yet to build.

For comfort.....I have a few options.  The handlebars can be moved from under the top tripple clamp to above it...if they prove to be too low.  The seat may have to modified to have more padding than the stock RYCA seat.   Time will tell how long I can ride this thing at a stretch.......No idea at this point.

One of the problems I have in knowing if I can get it done.....is I have a lot of evening meetings and I can't work on it every night.  And the grass is starting to grow around here and that will soon take 4-5 hours of my spare time every week.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #129 - 04/09/13 at 09:39:36

Decide which elements aren't going to make the deadline and jest screw them temporarily .... that way you can incorporate more of what you learn on the trip with less wasted redo.

Exhaust will likely be a item that gets missed for this trip, so screw it.   Try to get your padding increase and your raised bars if you can.

Beta units aren't supposed to look pretty ...  we all know that.

You are trial running the crouch riding position, that is enough for this trip.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #130 - 04/09/13 at 12:07:41

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/09/13 at 09:39:36:
Exhaust will likely be a item that gets missed for this trip, so screw it.   Try to get your padding increase and your raised bars if you can.

At this point....I got nothin'.  I sold the SuperTrapp and Dyna muffler I had, as I didn't think they would clear the rear sets or rear brake rod that is now much lower.  I have a nice megaphone that I need to build "guts" for.....maybe that will be done this week. In a pinch I could just weld on a small glass pack!

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #131 - 04/14/13 at 09:28:43

Hey guys, I'm sorry that I dropped off the face of the earth for the past several weeks.  I got really sick and then I got really into a new line of custom intakes being that me and a buddy of mine are starting to get to market.  

It looks like i won't be able to make the Dragon run.  My apologies to all if this change effects you.  I would love to but I'm just not up for it.  Two things have made me aware of this.  First was a friend coming over and together we tuned his power commander.  In doing so we spent some time hitting a lot of curvy roads in my area.  I normally ride pretty conservative and all around town.  It showed me that the strokes from 2009 have really taken the edge off my ability to ride even semi-aggressively  through curvey roads.  The other was this past weekend.  I drove up to a friends house in Chattanooga (about 3.5 hours away).  That whipped me.  I don't think i could have made it another half hour.  Hopefully in time I can build my endurance and abilities back up to normal.  

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #132 - 04/14/13 at 13:24:00

Jim,  far better to figure it out before you actually went -- our trip sections each run 2-4 hours long and I have been known to stretch out on a overlook wall at the end of one.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #133 - 04/14/13 at 16:50:50

Yeah, it's kind of hard to accept it though.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #134 - 04/14/13 at 17:19:48

No, it isn't easy to accept -- this getting old stuff.  

I just got told I've got heart valve issues that are building now to the point they will require annual monitoring.  I simply can't do what I used to be able to do, that is becoming unavoidably clear, so I will do what I can do while I still can.

You are simply a mile or two further down the road than I am.   I'll certainly raise a beer for you in remembrance of all the folks who wanted to be here, but could not go due to circumstances.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:28:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2013 Dragon Run (early summer)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.