Send Topic Print
swingarm problem (Read 54 times)
jvdb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

swingarm problem
01/01/13 at 20:21:12

I had my frame and swing arm powder coated. Now after installing new bearings and torquing the swing arm, it's very stiff (not moving freely). I think the problem is that the flange the dust seal sits on is now a larger diameter (seems like the dust seal is supposed to rotate with the swing arm).

Do you think it is necessary to sand off the powder coating on that flange, or do you think it will just wear in after some use?

Pictures attached, I hope my description is clear.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: swingarm problem
Reply #1 - 01/01/13 at 22:16:20

Remove the powder coating, surfaces where bearings seat or engine/trans bolts in are generally left in the raw when refinishing. Powder finishes out thicker than paint, can cause fitting issues. The powder would eventually disappear on its own over time, causing some slop where the parts seat. A light coat of petroleum jelly to protect the raw metal doesn't hurt anything.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
jvdb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: swingarm problem
Reply #2 - 01/02/13 at 09:44:47

WD wrote on 01/01/13 at 22:16:20:
Remove the powder coating, surfaces where bearings seat or engine/trans bolts in are generally left in the raw when refinishing.

Yes, all the bolt threads and bearing journal/seats were not coated, it's just the outside of this flange causing the dust seal to fit tightly. I used a lot of grease, but I may just sand the coating off, or maybe sand the dust seal. I'm worried about the friction heat during use might completely destroy the dust seal.

Thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 01:19:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › swingarm problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.