Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What's the best brand of replacement tires. (Read 510 times)
REVickers
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What's the best brand of replacement tires.
01/01/13 at 13:15:23

I bought my 2001 Savage a few months ago with 1650 miles. The tires don't look bad, but I am too afraid of tire rot to take the chance. Most of my riding will be around the Blue Ridge Parkway and back roads. What brand of tire do you recommend. Thanks much, Reggie

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: What's the best brand of replacement tires.
Reply #1 - 01/01/13 at 15:11:03

Some people say that the slightly larger 140/90 15 rear makes the speedo more accurate, others are very critical about the stock IRC's both in terms of durability and performance. Tyre brands/ values are like oil wars, everyone has an opinion. I have a Continental Blitz on the rear and a Michlien on the front. There is a thread on tyre wear and value somewhere in RSD

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/01/13 at 15:59:42

Stokes pretty much nailed it I spose.. "Best" tire is different for folks. If a guy rides 30,000 miles a year, paying the $$$ for long life is a good plan. If a guy rides 3,000 a year, that Good ( read Expensive) tire will be unsafe to ride on when it still has loads of tread left. Some guys ride easy & dont want a particularly grippy tire, but one that lasts a little longer b/c its a harder compound, others want a cheap, grippy tire they can use up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #3 - 01/01/13 at 17:31:00

JOG is correct. As usual. Smiley  My IRCs handled rain and hard corners better than the Dunlops I have on there now.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #4 - 01/01/13 at 17:33:03

I bought my bike new in 2009. The standard IRCs went 5500  on the rear and 6600 on the front The bike handled poorly following every groove in the pavement it could fine. My Kawasaki Vulcan 900  with it's Dunlop tires was much more stable.  I replaced the factory IRCs with a set of Pirelli MT66s they made all the differance in the world now my S40 is much more stable on grooved pavement than the Kawi. The Pirellis now have about 6500 miles on them and look almost new. when the current set of Dunlops on my Kawi wear out I'll put a set of Pirellis on it to.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #5 - 01/01/13 at 19:45:02

You really need to go with the ME880's. They are great wet or dry, and they will give you a lot more miles then the originals.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #6 - 01/02/13 at 07:17:05

I have had the best experience using Metzler tires on all of my bikes. I have had everything from the S40 to Suzuki Burgman 650 to a V Star 1100. The Metzler 880 will probably  dry rot before I wear it out on the S40.
The only time I did NOT get better life was with the Burgman scooter, Metzler only makes a sports bike type tire for the maxi scooters.

My riding style is both aggressive (riding solo) and just cruising (with passenger) no matter which bike I'm on. I average between 10,000-12,000 per bike, per year.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #7 - 01/02/13 at 10:21:56

I disagree with those who state that 'such and such' a tire will wear long and be sticky. It can't happen. There is a compromise somewhere. I will admit my Dunlop up front FELT more stable at 70mph, but that could have been all the dryrot the tire had.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #8 - 01/02/13 at 10:47:00

The compromise is that Metzler actually puts more rubber on the tires.  More tread depth means more wear...  Love the Metzlers.  But Aida's bike has Pirelli MT66s.  She does not do the miles I do, and so I figured her's would age out before wearing out.  And it was a good time to compare.

IP Logged
zubking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/04/13 at 16:59:08

Metzler 880, best bang for the buck!!!!!

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #10 - 01/05/13 at 19:53:53

Dj12midnit wrote on 01/01/13 at 19:45:02:
You really need to go with the ME880's. They are great wet or dry, and they will give you a lot more miles then the originals.

+1

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 01/07/13 at 20:59:08

Re, I see this is your first post. Welcome. I run Metzelers 880s, because I used to run Metz in dirt 40 yrs ago. Turns out, they're still great. But you could pay $250+ with mounting. Serowbot runs Shinko and likes them, and he is not an amateur. I really like Dunlop K555s and have run them with good results. If I get poorer (Which is a distinct possibility) I would go with Shinko on Serowbot's recommendation, but expect to get less mileage. One of the old heads on here really likes Pirellis MTs and they are in mid to upper range on price. My bike shop guy really likes the Pirellis overall, and he is a good, honest, guy. Anyway, welcome. Sometimes our biggest fault is all having too much info on oil, tires, gas, etc. And they all work good for each rider.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #12 - 01/07/13 at 22:19:19

Asking the question "What is the best brand of tires" on a forum board is akin to going into gathering of people at a car show that is not manufacturer specific and posing the question "What car manufacturer produces the best car?"  You will get pretty much as many different answers as there are different people there.

Now myself I have the Pirelli Route 66 MT tires on mine and I love them.  Are they the best tire? Well I guess that depends on your definition of "best tire"  For some people I'm sure they are,  for others I'm sure they are the worst tires to buy, while yet for others they are somewhere in-between.

Alot of factors come into play when choosing tires, just like other parts or even vehicles to say what is the best, because what is best for one may and most times is not necessarily the best for the next person.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 01/08/13 at 01:11:37

I don't want to create a new thread and I don't want to completely hijack this one.

So I'll provide my reply to the original quesiton first, and a sk a question at the end.

When I bought my Savage (September '05) she was shod with Avon Venoms front&rear, very grippy "supersports" rubber.

That rubber had been fitted in the Spring, I bought the bike end September, and the tires were still good and grippy in the Spring 2012... (6 years old!)
BUT
they were beginning to show some "glazing" at the sides - i.e. the silicone in the rubber was ageing and hardening beyond safety standards.

Today I have Pirelli MT66 "Route" in 100/90x19 (front) and 140/90x15 (rear) sizes.

YES the rear is a bit taller, NO it does not create a problem.

My BMW R1200, on the other hand, was initially shod with the OEM Bridgestone Battlax

Sehe is now shod with Metzeler Rennsports

which are supersports very grippy dry weather tires; in the rain I ride with more caution but have never dropped the bike, and after almost 6000 miles the front is still as new while the rear does have a 1" wide "wear alley".
I bought these because of a special "half price" sale, else I was quite happy with the Bridgestones.

If you do much riding in wet/damp conditions, may I suggest Michelin Pilot Road 3, which are specifically engineered for wet roads.

Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #14 - 01/08/13 at 02:40:04

OK, now the question:

I am looking for "dual sports" tires for the Savage (?) [Yes, I know it sounds odd...]

100/90x19 I can find easily, but there's nought to be found in the original 140/80x15 size.

Actually, it seems virtually nothing is made in 15" rim size.

Sooo... chain drive mod looking compulsory...
...what 16" or 17" rim size might be equivalent to our 140/80x15 ?

Best I could find was the Dunlop Trailmax, 100/90x19 front and 130/80x17 rear

Is there anything anyone could suggest for the correct tire overall diameter ? The above matches my current 140/90x15...
(remember, the speedo is driven by the gearbox...)

In two years' time I will be MADE to retire  Angry and have something in mind...
A Rome - Cairo - Capetown !  Cool    I will need something like this ... ... ... ... ... which may actually come to look like this

BUT I want to avoid...

Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:20:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What's the best brand of replacement tires.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.