Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Diamond Jim is back! (Read 240 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Diamond Jim is back!
01/01/13 at 09:47:30

Howdy y'all. How's the thumper world doing?  

A little background for those who joined recently as well as for those legendary old timers on this forum who may not remember- I had a pair of strokes almost 4 years ago that screwed up my vision, balance, coordination, strength and swallowing. And i wasnt even 40!  Had to sell the bikes and doubted I would ever ride again. I seemed to have fallen off the face of the planet. At least my world seemed that way.

Well, after tons of physical therapy and treatment I'm on two wheels again!

I hope everyone is doing well and finds their new year happy.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Diamond Jim is back!
Reply #1 - 01/01/13 at 10:00:52

Smiley... nice to have you back,.. and on 2 wheels... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #2 - 01/01/13 at 10:04:20

Thanks. You still keeping everyone in line?

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 01/01/13 at 10:15:59

Mercy, what a major pothole to scoot around.....
DJ, if its not too personal, can you lend us some facts about this awful episode in your life that might have contributed to it. I ask not out of titillation, but I turn 60 in two weeks and Lord knows I'm still dragging some awful habits around that could contribute to the detriment of this spry hunk of burning love I still sport....yes, lying and exaggeration are two of them   Shocked

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/01/13 at 10:31:33

WOW!,, Sorry for the bummer times but glad ya made it back./.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 01/01/13 at 10:39:56

What a wonderful b'day present to me!

DJ so glad to see you here!

Shocked Shocked Shocked... Happy B'Day, Versy!... Huh... -Serow

It was yesterday  Sad -V1

Grin

WWW   IP Logged
gone fishing

Reply #6 - 01/01/13 at 10:44:51

gone fishing

« Last Edit: 02/26/13 at 16:45:52 by gone fishing »  

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 01/01/13 at 11:05:11

Raydawg: Quick background first- a year after Desert Storm I left the Army at age 22. Went to college and majored in Polysomnography, the technical aspect of diagnosing and treating sleep disorders, as well as neurology and computer science. I spent my career building and running sleep disorders centers, building and running neurodiagnostic labs and most recently building and running collegiate programs in both fields. I was kind of a pioneer through each and every stage. Ironically, I was diagnosed with some sleep disorders myself including sleep apnea. I've been a faithful CPAP user since 1999. Faithful cause I had repeatedly seen the effects of untreated sleep apnea both acute emergencies as well as chronic problems. Faithful except for one night back in 2009 when I fell asleep in the recliner instead of in bed with my CPAP. Woke up at 5am. Woke up and, because of my training, knew exactly what happened. Managed to crawl upstairs somehow, woke my wife up and said, "Call 911. I've had a stroke". Lips Sealed

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #8 - 01/01/13 at 11:18:56

My head was throbbing 10x worse than the worst headache I've ever had. I couldn't stand. When I managed to my body went sideways until I hit a wall. I felt like those weather reporters who do live broadcasts as the eye wall of a hurricane is making landfall. Bright light was painful. It was a single event but I stroked in two different, unrelated areas of my brain. Docs still can't explain that one. I was 38 years old. ER docs didn't want to believe it was stroke because of my age and that fact that I was able to converse with them in accurate, effective medical lingo. Duh! I had been trained to do so!  We're it an identical presentation but my age was 60 or older the ER docs would have immediately diagnosed stroke with complete and total confidence.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #9 - 01/01/13 at 11:22:30

In the hospital my regular doc came to see me. We were also friends outside of the workplace. I was drugged up for the headache but he instantly recognized all the stuff that was wrong with me and got the ball rolling on the diagnostic imaging and subsequent treatment.  But by that time I was no longer a candidate for TPA (what most lay people know as the clot-busting drug that has to be given within a narrow period of time known as the "golden window" after stroke onset). However, later discussions with my neurologist revealed that I wouldn't have been a candidate for TPA regardless.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #10 - 01/01/13 at 11:44:31

BTW, I apologize for posting all this in the RSD section but I wanted to answer Raydawg's question and it's kinda the way the thread evolved.

Don't whip me  I'll do better next time. Wink

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #11 - 01/01/13 at 11:45:40

WOW....one wise and smart hombre. Thanks for the insight, I love my catnap in my recliner but I have awaken many times with grasping or snoring myself awake....no more, I'm going horizonal or not at all!

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 01/01/13 at 11:47:54

diamond jim wrote on 01/01/13 at 11:44:31:
BTW, I apologize for posting all this in the RSD section but I wanted to answer Raydawg's question and it's kinda the way the thread evolved.

Don't whip me  I'll do better next time. Wink

No problem, it can be fixed.

WWW   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #13 - 01/01/13 at 12:49:32

Welcome back Jim. What are you riding now? did you get another savage or sumpin else?

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #14 - 01/01/13 at 13:09:34

Congratulations on getting your riding years back!  You'd gotten robbed of that at such a young age.  I am glad to hear you are well enough to ride again.  Also curious as to what you picked for a new ride.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:11:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › Diamond Jim is back!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.