Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: What operating system are you running to answer this poll

Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8
I OS (Apple Ipad & PC)
Linux on PC (all distros including ChromeOS)
I Phone
Android

« Created by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 01/28/13 at 12:08:27 »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
2013 New Computer Stuff (Read 475 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
2013 New Computer Stuff
01/01/13 at 07:04:48

Combined with a new, much terser format for easy reading.   Last year we talked a lot about what these changes meant, so we are done with all that discussion.   Jest the toys, boys, jest the toys ....

Here comes the year that reinvents the "computer" as you know it.  In ways you weren't necessarily looking for.   This $99 space ship isn't as nice as an Ouya and it has no game controllers or game base, so it gets low marks comparatively.  So our $99 still goes to the Ouya box if you are ARM/Android TV box buying.

Grin

http://liliputing.com/2013/01/tronsmart-prometheus-android-tv-box-with-amlogi...

The idea that you can plug a dongle into your HDMI TV and turn it into a living room computer has gone main-stream throughout the orient and is now becoming main stream in Europe and the USA.   There are dozens of them out there now and I will only mention the latest/greatest of that constantly upgrading crew from now on.

===============

The ARM chip based TV+ concept is solid now with Android 4.0+ as the base OS and $99 as the price point.  No US manufacturer can play in this low low price range, so all these TV+ units are built and shipped from the orient or, in one case, from old Ugoslavia.   The games are mostly free, with the non-free games cost $5-$10 and these "pay me" are much much better than phone based games.

The Tegra 3 Ouya Game Console is out & shipping now, and has already hinted they will announce plans to upgrade to Tegra 4 sometimes during the 2013 upcoming year.   Ouya can also play as a computer on your TV as well as play free Android games on your TV with full wireless controllers, etc.  Base Ouya cube costs $99 as well, with a $30 bump if you want the two controllers to go along with it.  

Ouya supports video streaming services like Amazon and Netflix which are handled by XBMC,  and NVIDA has recently released Ubuntu/NVIDA (their and Canonical's official Ubuntu port for the Tegra 3 chipset).  

Being an open source box, Ouya will get new stuff as it rolls along through its many to be released versions (new version to go along with each new Tegra ARM superchip that will be released on a yearly basis)

================

Samsung is working on new flex screens for the super thin cell phones that are all the rage now-a-days -- this is to address the #1 customer complaint on the super thins which is "I put it in my front pocket and the screen broke when I got into the car".  This happens due to the super thins lacking enough mechanical strength and mass to resist normal handling deflection which will always bust a glass based screen system.

« Last Edit: 01/01/13 at 10:02:06 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: 2013 New Computer Stuff
Reply #1 - 01/02/13 at 03:17:35

Kelly, I envy your mind at times dude.
I would like to have the tech "cells" up there that you do but God saw fit to do otherwise.   I can handle some in an understanding way when it is being explained by someone good at teaching but to work it my self ??? Not so much.
I have a big Mac on the table, an ipad and iphone, and my wife has an iphone and ipod.  She is much better than me with the machines.
They all exceed my techy limits.
I just do the basics to communicate, search and play with photos.
These are my last machines tech wise, if they die I would only replace them with something that does the basics.
When my phone contract is up with my iphone I'm going back to a simple "pay as you go" phone, without data access.  Just a plain phone.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 01/02/13 at 05:37:09

I got me a plain Jane phone too.  I don't need to have on-line access sitting in my pocket, I work at a university with PC access points in every building, so I got PC at work whenever I want it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #3 - 01/02/13 at 07:50:43

not bad at all but I still like my current Roku box not real big on gaming on the tv and the kids have their nabi tablets so they can play their without fighting over who's next. I guess if those boxes were more $40-50 they would strike my interest more.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 01/02/13 at 22:59:39

There are "me too" competitors coming up (like GameStick) that cost $79 right now.

If GameStick hangs in there and/or a plethora of others jump into existence you could see your $40 price point eventually.

Ouya was the first to become real, Ouya has the best processor so far ....
I am sure there will be others to beat the Ouya and when the big boys finally hop into the pond the price point will be set at $99 which is the same price point as a Roku that can't do the gaming or internet on the computer stuff YET (but they will, trust me).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 01/02/13 at 23:13:02

Why this man is worth listing to.

This man has finally done what everyone has been saying needs to be done.

He has one operating system (and it is a full OS) that is light enough and configured well enough to run on ANY computer device that has a 2013 current processor of whomever's variety.

Now, having done this he has set a benchmark that Microsoft must meet to be seriously considered.

When listening, please remember this man comes originally from South Africa, he lives in London now and he could give a flip about the USA's historical preferences in software/hardware.  

When he talks about the world this and the world that, he is really talking about all of Europe, the Far East, Russia, South America, Africa, Indochina, the whole civilized computing-based world.

And he is talking about things that are real, physically here, today.   This is not about vaporware, it is about realware.  That is what makes him worth listening through his full presentation as we don't get realware talks very often out of Microsoft or Intel.

He ALREADY HAS the backing of Linus (linux), Linaro, Dell, Lenovo, IBM, HP, Google, etc. etc.

He HAS DONE THIS already, his tweaks are already part of the 3.7 & 3.8 kernel and he is part of the reunification of Linux and Android that you keep reading about (which is just about done now, BTW).

The fact he is going to be offering a full service any device OS is noteworthy.    

He is the pioneer, the ground breaker, the visionary.

Microsoft has acknowledged him by making their Win8RT hardware & software so you can't load his stuff on their overpriced surface tablets (and by doing so laying themselves wide full open to a new round of anti-trust legislation in Europe and the USA accordingly).

He is the Steve Jobs of open source.   What makes him different from Steve Jobs is he doesn't intend to rape your wallet to give you real innovation.

(his stuff runs on an Apple too, BTW.   You can ask his phone verbal questions and it will answer you back, you can also ask it to read you an electronic book and it will do that for you too.  Verbal driving instructions, no sweat.  Anything Google can do, his phone will be able to do.   Software upgrades will happen seamlessly at a touch when new stuff comes out)

If the world of computing does indeed become unified, you likely have this guy to thank for it.

If you eventually see low cost superphones that will seamlessly automatically connect you through any nearby available open wifi system before going over to your cell tower connection and burning expensive plan minutes, you likely have this guy to thank for it.

With his easily tweeked completely free phone/tablet/computer OS and cheap open source hardware from countries where the people DON'T like to spend money, the cheap/free but good stuff that is impossible to bring about here in the USA will take place anyway.

Since I am never ever away from a free wifi connection (got it at work and at home) I will be looking eagerly for these sorts of cheap open source phones to arrive.

« Last Edit: 01/04/13 at 00:50:17 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 01/03/13 at 16:58:24

GameStick $79 Android gaming console raises $100,000 in under 2 days

http://liliputing.com/2013/01/gamestick-79-android-gaming-console-raises-1000...

Well, what can you say?   Ouya raises 10 million in a few weeks and GameStick is headed the same way, gonna bust a half million by tomorrow.

I would guess there is a market for Android games on TV.  The new stick PCs are still rolling out weekly and I don't bother telling you about them unless they are unusually good for some reason.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 01/03/13 at 17:13:35

Linus finally gets Nvida's attention about their secrecy over their drivers.

Shortly after this Nvida very quickly and very publicly sent their drivers in for Tegra 2, for Tegra 3 and surprise of a lifetime the drivers for Tegra 4 were sent in as well (the new superchip they won't even formally announce until CES next week).  

They missed the cut-off deadline for 3.8 kernel (indeed 3.8 was released last week) so you will wait 6 months to see the improvements in the Tegra Android/Linux experience in kernel 3.9 or there about.

Part of this change of heart was begun in LinaroCon from last month, in which it was decided to simply totally ignore all vendor's chipsets that will not send in complete drivers sets (assuming they also refuse to honor the new video standards that already exist or were just created).

This means no Android support for your stuff and no Linux support for your stuff.   And customers are getting smarter about buying stuff with no long term support (the Chinese cheapie guys just got called on this as well).

This leaves just 1-2 major sore spots that quite frankly no one will miss when they quietly go bankrupt for lack of sales.  As Linus said, you done been told, but you still got your head up your butt, so FY.

VR Graphics for example is currently betting that Apple and Microsoft will keep them afloat all by themselves.   Maybe VR Graphics should give Nokia a call and see how that sort of thought pattern is working out long term for Nokia ....

« Last Edit: 01/04/13 at 00:35:29 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 01/03/13 at 19:27:11

That little Android game stick is pretty slick. Just goes to show that it doesn't matter how much graphics and however many options you throw at a game, people will still pay to play Angry Birds on a big screen. If my computer wasn't already hooked up to my TV, I'd prolly get one of these things. Nothing like Fantastic Contraption on a big screen or Random Defense blasting through the stereo.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 01/04/13 at 00:16:12

http://liliputing.com/2013/01/archos-tv-connect-turns-any-tv-into-an-android-...

Oh, making TVs into computers is gonna be really really BIG this year.  

Archos, a fairly large, old name in tablets has come out with a $130 unified TV box that does camera in the monitor box video calls with grandma while you thumb yourself a text or play you a game while you talk to her in the little window on the TV screen.  

You see, you gots you a ShadowGun running in the main part of the big screen and you are setting the guys up for a big Boss battle .... simo-texting Tommy to go over to the building and get up on the third floor so he can snipe down on their asses .... "Yeah Grandma, I really liked the sweater you sent me" .... <get your grenades ready guys -- counting down to throw in 5-4-3-2-1>

Mind you, Archos knows that the kids have Android in their genes now-a-days, just like all the orientals do.  They don't have any concept of Android being a cut down anything -- to them it is "just how you do it, man".   They, like all the adult orientals, grew up using Android from the get go.  

Meanwhile, in high schools and colleges they now have to give required courses in how to use MS Office and Accel and PowerPoint for business uses.  The kids then cheat, crank up a shared common homework file using Google Docs and save the results as .exe files with slightly changed row heights and fonts to turn in as their MS Office homework.   Kids ain't dumb, you know.

BTW, Microsoft is not giving the keynote speech at this year's CES.   That's a first for the American computer industry, not even considering Microsoft as being "the leader of the new stuff" any more.  Because they aren't.   The level of innovation in the computer industry is SIMPLY AMAZING right now and it isn't big company driven at all.  Worldwide, open source is showing to be the innovation cutting edge -- and it is moving faster and faster as folks like Archos are picking up chip fabrication abilities of their very own.

Yup, they can't get all the chips they need when they need them from the existing suppliers, so some of the big regular seasonal seller guys like Amazon and the larger sized tablet people like Archos are picking up ARM incenses and are buying into new 20nm or below global chip foundaries that are being built in China and elsewhere.  

As co-owners, they expect to get what they need when they need it ....  and the investment will pay them dividends in the long run too as a simple good investment.

« Last Edit: 01/05/13 at 13:45:16 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 01/06/13 at 06:35:18

This one is $90 for a box, keyboard and mouse.  It uses a "dual core Allwinner A10"
(likely soon to get correctly called an Allwinner A20 once the guy gets his nomenclature all squared away).  

http://www.deviceonchip.com/cloud-client.html

He's selling it as a cloud client box and he has posted 5 videos on Youtube of the machine doing all the things you normally do with your tablet.  Notice it is completely cased and actually has the full set of 4 USB ports made actual and real, it has an on/off button and headphone and mike connections, with built-in Wifi.  

Both HDMI and VGA outputs are there with the req'd speaker output jack, so finally somebody is shooting squarely at the low end PC replacement market in public schools, etc.  The instructor would have to prepare an SD card with the course materials on it and insert it in the machines as needed (or load the stuff on a lan drive and give the kids an icon to point to it).

Please understand, in other countries they are not all that tied up in their nickers about having to have MS products.   Android or Linux are considered to be perfectly acceptable OS systems in a lot of the newly industrialized countries of the world.  Europe accepts Linux and Android readily as well.

This box is a "silk screen in your name" generic, so expect to see it sold under several names through several channels and expect it to quickly drop to $60 like the rest of the stick PCs have done.   It will also likely get new stronger processors over time as they become available.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #11 - 01/06/13 at 07:17:38

Dang, Oldfeller, that last one hits a sweet spot for me.  Mainly because its horsepower blows away my comuter, and it still does VGA (my monitor has no HDMI input).  Hooking it to the TV around here would require some sort of converter from RF cable or rabbit ears.   Smiley

I am going to look into that one, and similar devices, if any.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 01/06/13 at 07:41:48

Hold off, no Linux support yet for the A20 chipset.  

Actually, I think the guy has his head up his butt and this board uses an old A10 chipset with a dual core Mali 400 GPU (which is where he is getting his dual core nonsense).

And this is like the third board I have seen that has a VGA output jack as all the Allwinner chipsets all support VGA, just that in the orient nobody has a legacy PC monitor and they all seem to have HDMI TVs so the oriental makers tend to leave off the VGA jack completely.

Question for me -- I plan to buy a 1080p or better new computing device and then I plan to hook it up to an old ageing 800 by 600 VGA monitor ??   That's sorta sad that my expectations are set so low.

=============

The new Ubuntu phones will all do the desktop dock and energized screen/keyboard/mouse trick, so I am looking to see the monitor specs for that particular trick.  I doubt it will be doing just plain jane 800 by 600 VGA monitor output, I think it will likely be fairly high res HDMI like 1080p or better.

I will say that LED monitors last a long long time compared to the old huge CRT tube things we used to use.   This old monitor will likely outlive me ......

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #13 - 01/06/13 at 08:06:20

But the link at http://www.deviceonchip.com/cloud-client.html says it  "..supports Android, Debian, Ubuntu and other ARM based Linux distributions."  So I could just switch to Debian or something?  Or do you mean there's no community support yet.. as in, it will run, but you're totally on your own as far as troubleshooting.

I am also running an old LCD monitor, and see no reason to change.  Except that VGA plugs will go away sooner or later, and the computers' compatibility will dry up..  Everyone just INSISTS on HDMI at some astronomical resolution, and with the aspect ratio stretched out super-landscape.. yup, this old 4:3 LCD's days are numbered.  Not that it will ever break, it just won't hook up to a decent computer anymore.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #14 - 01/06/13 at 09:07:39

VGA is low res and HDMI is high res?  My monitor right now is 1600x1200 and has VGA and DVI ports only.  Good thing as HDMI  only goes as high as 1080p.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 15:17:34

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2013 New Computer Stuff

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.