Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: What operating system are you running to answer this poll

Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8
I OS (Apple Ipad & PC)
Linux on PC (all distros including ChromeOS)
I Phone
Android

« Created by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 01/28/13 at 12:08:27 »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
2013 New Computer Stuff (Read 475 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 2013 New Computer Stuff
Reply #30 - 01/27/13 at 09:02:02

The Motley Fool (financial and investing) has started running this ad about PCs

"The Death of the PC

The days of paying for costly software upgrades are numbered. The PC will soon be obsolete. And BusinessWeek reports 70% of Americans are already using the technology that will replace it. Merrill Lynch calls it "a $160 billion tsunami." Computing giants including IBM, Yahoo!, and Amazon are racing to be the first to cash in on this PC-killing revolution. Yet, a small group of little-known companies have a huge head start. Get the full details on these companies, and the technology that is destroying the PC, in a free video from The Motley Fool. Enter your email address below to view this stunning video.

Now, here is the real skinny -- the old PCs still work and people are still lazy and like what they are used to.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #31 - 01/27/13 at 10:27:27

That's ok for the private sector and maybe 50% of business, but until they port 3 cad and 3 analysis packages to them, I'm stuck.

WWW   IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #32 - 01/27/13 at 19:35:45

If I had a nickel for every technology that was "dead within a year" and still with us...  The other one I love is "this will change everything..."  Really?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 01/28/13 at 11:36:51

I agree with both of you, I was waiting for "double up" and it is here now and I still seem to have zero motivation to buy the new hardware.

I could wait until later in the year when 3x and 4x up processors get there, but I have the same issue -- no felt motivation to go ahead and spend the money.

And its not the money, I just blew $400 on a trailer and a hitch set up and spent $80 on some bullets.   The trailer was a weak need and the bullets were linked to the trailer/trip scenario.

"Need" drives first, then the "wants" comes later, and then never just new for the heck of it -- this is the way folks think during depressions they tell me.

=================================

I didn't expect this little nugget -- apparently Chrome OS is taking off some in the business and education worlds.    For Chromebooks to make up 10% of Acer's total laptop sales and for Chromebooks to consistently stay in Amazon's top ten laptops for so many months running indicates the Chrome OS is getting something useful done for the folks who are using it.

http://liliputing.com/2013/01/up-to-10-percent-of-acers-laptop-shipments-are-...

Ballmer has something else new to worry about now (ditto for Intel).   Companies with strong intranets and their own web-based apps on that intranet really don't need anything more than a Chromebook to function just fine.  

And there are some newer companies that use the Google Apps (or Google Play, the current term it goes under) for collaborative working on spreadsheets, etc. so they don't need anything stronger than a Chromebook either.

This fits into the new BYOD corporate workspace too.  It is all on the intraweb here at XYZ Corporation, so any device you like is fine.

(that's "bring your own device" to the older folks on the list)

Chromebooks in public schools make sense too, just grab one off the stack and go sit down and start the computer based exercise for today.

So much of the education materials is going web based .... even in classroom based colleges.   SMART boards are going up in every classroom which allow kids to see the board from a distance and walk up and write on the board when called on.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 01/28/13 at 12:08:27

So, here is a nonsense poll just to see where we all sit right now.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #35 - 01/29/13 at 02:03:46

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/27/13 at 09:02:02:
Now, here is the real skinny -- the old PCs still work and people are still lazy and like what they are used to.

I have a few terabytes of TV shows and movies spread across 7 HDD's right now and my collection is only growing. By the time a computer exists that's small enough to fit in the palm of my hand that can hold that much information - we'll be into the next generation of HD content (4KUHD and 8KUHD) and the files will be even larger which means I'm still gonna be forced to have a full-sized computer.

The "death of the PC" or even the "death as we know it" is nothing but sensationalist garbage. It really is tiresome listening to you post that same sentence over and over. Full size PC's aren't going anywhere. Maybe the moms and grandmoms who only use their computer for email and solitaire will no longer have a real PC but that's about it. People who actually use their computer for what they're made for are still gonna own them and continue to buy them.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #36 - 01/29/13 at 05:13:31

If you only define "the computer" as the white box sitting at your desk, your point of view is valid.  

Your old computer won't change, you'll always have one because the hardware doesn't evaporate on you even if the OS does go away on you (like many will starting in 2014 when XP support ends and Ballmer's boys quietly "encourage" you to upgrade your old box by letting it get munched by a virus).  

Even then you can always load another OS on your old hardware, or you can take the hint and go buy a new small box.

However, what is changing is the "tool" itself -- a lot of other people are choosing to do their computing on alternate instruments instead of the traditional white box, especially to do their casual or entertainment computing.

Xbox, Nintendo, Wii, Roku, tablets, phones -- all of these things do computing tasks as well.   And they are getting used more and more because they ride in your pocketbook or your pants or are hooked up to your big screen TV.   Many consider these "entertainment" devices in their thinking, but they are really little computers.

So, back to your main point -- death of the computer as you know it.

What will kill off "the PC as you know it" will be the form factor shrink the new technology provides, plus the drastic increase in the horsepower of those little portable devices.

Even Intel thinks the Next Unit of Computing comes in a 4" by 6" by 2" little box (which will get even smaller as time goes on).   Go ask Dell how big a computer is (not much bigger, really).  HP still makes a few larger boxes, but they are mostly empty air inside at this point.

Wink

So, do what I do with the news, jest don't watch it very often.  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #37 - 01/29/13 at 09:10:47

I'll take one of those, sub-$100, fanless, low power consumption, 'puters... but, I want to run XP, and I want enough space in the box to have a couple of full size hard drives...  I also want the power supply in the box...
What I hate, is a bunch of little add-on boxes to make anything useful...
???... Huh...

I tried Linux, (puppy, Macpup, Mint 11,.. for 1 1/2 years... It sucked...
I'm back to Xp,.. and it works...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #38 - 01/29/13 at 12:10:00

USB 3.0 currently enables power transmission through the USB cables from device to hub to device (including the little PC box).

You need a powered hub because some of your devices need the power feed.  Your little box PC is just one of these devices.

I also like the new USB 3.0 monitors, because they can supply power to other devices through the hub (if you buy the correct hub that is).

What are you going to hook up anyway?  A keyboard, a mouse, a little PC box, a speaker equipped HDMI monitor, a small format portable hard drive and a printer?   Your printer and your monitor are candidates for powering the rest of the stuff as they hook into 120 volts now.

This is less wiring than you have around your desk right now with your old main box type PC.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #39 - 02/06/13 at 08:49:26

Hey, everybody that bought a Win 8 Surface Table, was grievously disappointed, complained and then got told, "Oh, you wanted to use real Windows programs?  That's the Win 8 Pro model and it will be along next year sometimes .... and no, you can't have your money back as you are past the 14 day early return period."

It's here now.   Everyone is lining up not to buy it.

http://liliputing.com/2013/02/microsoft-surface-pro-review-roundup-is-a-windo...

It costs $1,000 (more than a laptop)

Battery life sucks (2-4 hours max)

It is large, thick, heavy and awkward to use

Most real windows programs don't support touch very well

But don't take my word on it -- here are the rest of the reviews trying hard to find something good to say about it.

While it’s impressive that you can now buy a slate that looks a lot like an iPad but can do much of what a laptop does, it’d be even more impressive if the Surface Pro offered the best of both worlds. Instead, it seems like a jack-of-all-trades master-of-none type device. And even though the hardware’s probably more than worth the $1000 asking price, it’s kind of hard to justify dropping that kind of money on a device that does a lot of things… but doesn’t necessarily do them very well.

Here are some of the first reviews of the Microsoft Surface Pro:

ABC News
   All Things D
   AnandTech
   Ars Technica
   BGR
   Business Insider
   Chicago Times
   CNET
   Engadget
   Gizmodo
   Los Angeles Times
   Mashable
   TechCrunch
   Time
   VentureBeat
   The Verge
   ZDNet

The Surface Pro is good enough that most reviewers agree that if you really want a Surface tablet, this is the one to get… not the cheaper Surface RT. But they seem to be searching for reasons you might want to buy it at all.

NEWS FLASH !!!!

Microsoft has heard your plea for better battery life !!!!

For only $199.99 as an optional accessory you can buy the super special custom lid cover that includes a state of the art mylar thin film battery that adds an whole extra hour of run time to your Win 8 Surface PRO tablet.

Wowsers, Batman !!!  

Roll Eyes

================

Launch day news !!!!    Special Launch event in New York City is CANCELLED by Microsoft (bad weather, might get snowed upon you know).

Microsoft knocks $100 off the item before it even gets launched (something about bad press for "ludicrous pricing")

« Last Edit: 02/08/13 at 15:42:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 15:09:51

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2013 New Computer Stuff

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.