Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
different rear tire size (Read 1259 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: different rear tire size
Reply #45 - 03/11/16 at 12:40:04

Dave wrote on 03/11/16 at 09:52:00:
cheapnewb24 wrote on 03/11/16 at 07:14:07:
To modify or correct the ideas I mentioned, the chart also seems to suggest that higher profile tires don't fit very wide rims as well compared to low profile tires. It seems that low profile tires like large rims and high profile tires like smaller ones.

You are looking at the chart without considering what it represents.  The wide rims are a new fangled idea, and one that came along as tire and suspension technology (and fads) changed.  New bikes have wide rims and low profile tires....some for good handling and some for macho looks - and the improved suspension systems have allowed low profile tires to be used on modern motorcycles. (Roads have also improved - and narrow rims and balloon tires helped to protect the rims from damage on early roads).

Older bikes had limited suspension travel - and the taller tire profiles functioned as a part of the suspension, and the narrow rims were necessary to allow the tires to have curved sidewalls that could compress and rebound.

The tire chart just reflects the fact that the newer bikes have wide rims and low profile tires - while the older bikes have narrow rims and high profile tires.  The chart doesn't reflect that the different aspect ratios are "generally" made for bikes that have entirely different functions....low profile for sport bikes, medium profile for sport touring and touring, high profile for vintage bikes or modern cruisers.  (All rules and common sense are thrown out for those foot wide tires used on show bikes).

Isn't the chart there to tell what works, regardless of what is popular? I'm not thinking design-- what it's "made for." When mods are done, they are often things which were not really meant for that bike in the first place. The chart should be for which combinations work well within a reasonable margin, not for typical installations.  It's all about what works, not all these complications and special applications. Any rebuttals?

Maybe for some reason high profile tires are not recommended for very wide rims. Maybe the bead seating is not as secure?  I wonder. Undecided Any ideas?

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #46 - 03/11/16 at 12:53:55

Rule of thumb, not hard science:
You want the wheel width to be at least 70% of the tire bead width. That puts a 140 tire on a 3.86" wide wheel. A 3.50" wide wheel is close enough. If there were a 3.75" option, that would be better.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #47 - 03/11/16 at 13:04:39

High profile tires are not recommended for wide rims......because they are not designed or made to work on wide rims.  The high profile tires are made to work on the narrow rims, and the tread profile will be the proper shape.

Low profile tires are not recommended for narrow rims.....because they are not designed or made to work on narrow rims.  The low profile tires are made specifically to work on wide rims, and the tread profile will be the proper shape.

If you mount a tire on wider or narrower rim than it was designed to fit.........the handling and performance and tire life (and possibly safety) will be affected.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #48 - 03/11/16 at 15:13:32

Dave wrote on 03/11/16 at 05:44:12:
Demin wrote on 03/11/16 at 05:30:03:
Just throwing this in.Here is a 140/80 beside a 150/90

YIKES! Shocked

Does that thing fit under a stock fender?

With s little modification it did.Had to slot the holes in the fender and run button head bolts.

demin.jpg

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #49 - 03/11/16 at 15:14:44

Rear view

bikepics-1018369-800_2.jpg

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #50 - 04/09/16 at 09:58:35

I recently installed a pair of the Shinko 230 tires on my S40 and now have about 330 miles on them.

I had to make an emergency/panic stop on an older asphalt road with a slightly more coarse surface than what I would call smooth. I was able to get to a completely dead stop even quicker than I expected. The bike stopped in a perfectly straight line and there was no sign of the rear wheel trying to "kick out'.

I am satisfied with the Shinkos and I am hopeful that they will be satisfactory in the rain.

I got 5000 miles from the stock IRC tires and I anticipate getting a few more miles than that out of the Shinkos.

Kenny G

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #51 - 04/09/16 at 10:46:49

Kenny, What size 230's did you put on? Stock or changed rim? What does the back tire measure for width & roll out?
We should start a list of these measurements for reference.
My 150/90-15 Shinko 230 on a 3.5'' rim is 6.25'' wide with a 78'' roll out.
With both Kaw pulleys it slows the engine down to just under 3400 rpm at 60mph in 5th a drop of about 700 rpm. Puts 4th real close to a stock 5th. Also throws the speedo off by about 20-22%, so I go by a gps app on a phone mounted on the handlebar clamps now.
On state roads I cruse in the low to mid 50's at 3 grand to 3200. Engine & me are very happy. With my first windshield  I would get 60 - 63 mpg, I built a bigger one & now I get 58 -60. (I'm in south Fla. = no hills)
Tripping to Columbia, SC next weekend for a roller derby tournament, hope to average just under 60 mpg for the whole trip.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #52 - 04/09/16 at 12:24:24

Wolf,

I stayed close to the factory size tires.

130/90-15 rear tire and 100/90-19 front tire.

I haven't taken any measurements on the tires and I probably should have found a better place to post my experience with the Shinkos.

The Shinkos feel good on the corners and in my opinion the tires are going to be superior to the the IRCs.

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #53 - 04/09/16 at 14:10:28

in my opinion the tires are going to be superior to the the IRCs...

I don't know of one that isn't. My OEM tires held air for five thousand miles, but the front was cupping at three and the rear always felt like it was Just about to slide out from under me.
I rode it, knowing that I was learning how to ride. It's treacherous nature made me a better rider and Forced me to Not thunder through a turn.
Ahhh, but the replacement got some work.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:22:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › different rear tire size

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.