Send Topic Print
Puttin it together (Read 200 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Puttin it together
12/31/12 at 13:56:38

Finally got the parts together for the Grizzly 660. Yamaha sent 2 sets of rings that didnt measure to spec. A guy at the shop called the head office. They said " Ohhh,, we run them like that all the time. We dont have any problems with them.".. The gap on the compression ring was well outside the Max Allowable, which was almost double the high end of what the book called for in the "Normal,desirable" gap range. SO
Owner of the shop told one of the parts guys to get me whatever I needed to finish this job. The found an aftermarket piston .5 mm over stock, still 9/1 compression, wrist pin, rings, all that stuff & got it in for me in 2 days.

So, yesterday I started in on it Got the crank at TDC & tied the pull starter "crown" on the crank to pull starter cover bolts so it couldnt turn, tied the rod up & put the piston on it, lubed it all up good & worked the jug down & torqued it. Harder to put one together in the frame than get it apart, Ill Tell YEW!
Got the head on it last nite, some of those bolts are about impossible to get on w/ a torque wrench,, used a ratchet to get close with, then finished off with the torque wrench,.
My heart is still in my throat..I dont like this kinda work, at ALL.

Put the cam in today. Itskinda tricky. Its got some kinda decomp gizmo built in, springs & weights & kinda tricky..
Had all the dots lined up, mark on the crank & case agreed,, just one cam gear bolt in,, thot,, "Lets turn this thing around & see how it acts when it gets back to TDC.. ",, WoooHOoo! I am SO glad I did that.

ONE tooth off, the cam was lagging by one tooth, so, I re-did it.

Got it all back together, both bolts in, spun it again, using my finger as the cam chain tightener & it lines up Everywhere now..
There is exactly no way to get a torque wrench on those bolts. Says 20#, so, I stuck a socket in a vise & felt of 20# on the torque wrench. Built up a socket/ratchet & cheater bar & tried to replicate it as near as possible, cleaned the threads up in & out & used a drop O Blue Locktite.

Heart/Throat

I do not Like this kind of work,,,

Ohh, wait, I already mentioned that, didnt I?

I think Ill put the head cover on before I do the cam chain tensioner,,

Of course, Ill inspect the cam again before I do anything.
I came in to calm down, let my pulse settle back to normal. So, I thot Id just tell about whats been getting my pulse UP.. & I mean that literally. I am( well,, I was) actually shaking. I dont like doing things that have serious repercussions is its not right. Its not MINE & I cant Afford to pay someone to fix it if I mess it up.. & Its just scary to me.. I wish I was an arrogant, self centered, "I am never wrong" kinda guy some days.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Puttin it together
Reply #1 - 12/31/12 at 14:20:06

JOG, if you were an alway right, never wrong type of guy you would of never found that the cam was one tooth off. You're doing good by being so nervious. Look at Custer, he never thought he was wrong and ended up getting scalped because of it. Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #2 - 01/02/13 at 17:49:38

wow, impressive

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #3 - 01/02/13 at 18:38:23

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/31/12 at 13:56:38:
My heart is still in my throat..I dont like this kinda work, at ALL.

It sounds like you've done your due diligence, and any further stressing out about it is not going to help your ATV.  You very thoroughly looked both ways, it is safe to cross the street.. so trust yourself.

I know what you mean though, I felt exactly the same way when I had to reset the cam on that Husky. What a relief when it fired up normally!  I am sure yours will turn out great too.  Smiley

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 01/02/13 at 18:43:11

Gosh JOG, I'm still fretting over cracking open the Savage to check the cam chain Embarrassed . You da MAN!!!!!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 - 01/03/13 at 07:18:26

Keep us posted, and once the ATV is brought back to life we expect pics of you having fun!!!   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 01/03/13 at 10:59:25

Its not My Fo Wheeler. Its a Grizzly 660 a 78 Y/O man bought at a garage sale after some young fella rode the snot out of it for 350 hours. Air filter was disintegrated, motor had ingested dirt, valves had never been adjusted, I know that because of the marks on the adjusters, all of them had one line with dots at each end. I wont be riding it, Ill be sending it home. Poor dude thot he was buying a shiny new dime at a discount,,,& he was actually buying a total.,It was worth the cost of repair if he had taken it to the shop & had them resurrect it. But he paid about $2600.00 for it, THEN he ( well, I) discovered what was wrong with it,.

Ive got $928.00 spent on it just in parts & machine shop labor. He has paid $900.00, so, Im in it for 28,
Shop mgr at Yamaha told me that what Ive done so far would have cost about $2,500.00, maybe a bit more.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 01/03/13 at 23:33:01

Today, go the header in.. blasted gaskets kept falling out,, hadda glue them in w/ contact cement. Thatll stank a bit while it cooks out. TRied to lube the U joints,,must be some kinda super skinny grease gun tip to go in there,,,took the zerks out to swap them,, OOOPS,, hadda build a tool to put the one in the gun wouldnt grease..Got the exhaust all mounted, external oil line on the jug, carb mounted, geeeeze,, izzat ALL?? OHH,, fixed a coupla things around here,had a friend over & spent an hour on the phone to another friend,,AND I got up late,, & Ima do that again Tomorrow!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 01/04/13 at 03:48:41

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/03/13 at 23:33:01:
Today, go the header in.. blasted gaskets kept falling out,, hadda glue them in w/ contact cement. Thatll stank a bit while it cooks out. TRied to lube the U joints,,must be some kinda super skinny grease gun tip to go in there,,,took the zerks out to swap them,, OOOPS,, hadda build a tool to put the one in the gun wouldnt grease..Got the exhaust all mounted, external oil line on the jug, carb mounted, geeeeze,, izzat ALL?? OHH,, fixed a coupla things around here,had a friend over & spent an hour on the phone to another friend,,AND I got up late,, & Ima do that again Tomorrow!

WOW, you're having some fun now !!   Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 01/04/13 at 08:00:54

Why Yes I Yam! &, If you show up Ill hook you up with a fresh cup O Joe & you can play, too. YOu have no idea how big a giggle it is to try to stab a header that has 2 ends that poke into the head & 1 that goes into the exhaust pipe end while supporting & aligning the exhaust & ATTEMpting to get & hold the 2 ends level & moving up & back & into the cavities in the head while not knocking those those gaskets loose. The angle doesnt exactly help them stay in. I was careful to not put glue on the surfaces that seal, but just a very small line around the edge on the back..

IDK what Im gonna do about gettin some grease in the U joint..I know IM not takin that zerk out again,,I hadda cross drill & slot a piece of brass tubing & stuff it in that & use the tubing to get it started. The spring that drives the ball up to close the zerk? It pokes OUT the back & ya hafta Push in & twist & the gap isnt wide enough to use a socket & it still be lined up so threads will start.Fun,Fun,Fun,, Yep, enough fun to share! Anyone interested in a Good Time, just stop by. Loads of thrills to be had. If ya dont wanna play with this one, theres the big wooden swingset/fort or the toilet installation job. I would let anyone clear the garden, & the ground is good & wet. Stuff otta pull real easy about now.

NOwhere on the planet can ya have so much fun for so little $$$.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #10 - 01/04/13 at 08:17:39

Hey, where's that no-good nephew/son-in-law/young'n who is supposed to be helping you hold stuff in alignment?  His fingers broke or something?  Well at least you have some way of getting out of the weather.. no way am I getting out in this blustery muck to work on a bike.  Carport and tarps = no thank you.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 01/04/13 at 08:56:29

The time of day I was doin the exhaust meant there was no one to help still awake, BUt, as a general rule, I dont go ask even if everyone is up & around. It doesnt even cross my mind. IM so used to solving my own problems alone that Im usually better off doing it that way. By the time I explain things to a helper & then worry about whether or not they "got it" Im happier just doin it,, besides, I kinda get a kick outta doin stuff by myself,

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/05/13 at 15:25:43

So, JOG, I need someone to go thru another motor I got.....Interested Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 01/06/13 at 12:58:55

Lemmee think about it..

NO!~

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 01/06/13 at 17:58:07

Welp,,, got her together enough to fire it up. Runs good at high RPM but requires some air inlet restriction to idle, so, I guess I gotta pull the air box & tank & get the carb on the bench & see whats in the way of fuel in the pilot circuit,, Blass TIT!
On the bright side, it RUNS!
Scared the poo outta me at first,, book calls for 2.1 quarts for an oil change, so, I did that, went a hair over & got it fired up, it coffed & sputtered a while & died. I checked the oil & it was a good bit low,, well, considering how long it ran, anyway..I thot it was ingesting oil somehow, but it wasnt smoking out the pipe like a mosquito fogger,,
Filled it up, ran it again, a bit low again,, so, added a smidge, ran it & let it sit a bit & Violas,, its all good. Sure didnt like the stuff I fo9und in the pan when I went thru the oil,, it had dirt in it & bits of metal the size of a fat grain O sand,., I wish I had the skill/knowledge/ability to have cracked the case & cleaned it out,but thats way past me,, They told me thats just an included step when they do a top end job at the shop, crack it open & clean it out & inspect stuff,,which makes sense, in that deep, sure would suck if in 200 hours some bearings "down in there" give up from the abuse that led to the need for the work Ive done,

Anyway, it Will idle, IF I gently lay my hand over the air intake & let the air fight its way between my loose fingers.,really its a very light restriction thats needed,,
Once I got to there I sealed off the intake & the big tube that feeds air into the belt & pulleys that make the transmission & fired up the pressure washer. Used the wimpiest nozzle & low engine speed & cleaned the mud out of the radiator core, went down a nozzle size & hosed the machine & belly pan parts & all the stuff thats off of it, cleaned out the mud from in the storage area, wiped it down, looks a Lot better than when it got here. REplaced a valve core on the rear. Cut a hunk of fishing line out that was wound around a rear axle.. just stuff that a decent, somewhat caring owner would do.. the kid that beat thing thing in the ground needs some teachin & his daddy needs a whoopin..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:15:37

General CategoryThe Cafe › Puttin it together

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.