Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Need assistance - Having trouble tuning the bike (Read 591 times)
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Need assistance - Having trouble tuning the bike
12/30/12 at 17:56:50

Howdee guys, and gals
First of all I wish y’ all had a great Christmas and whishing y’all a happy and safe New Year’s.
OK, to make a long story short: I have a 2005 S40 with 1,800 miles on it. I’ve been following your discussions and experiences dealing with your bikes. I decided to do a little mod to mine so I got  Lancer’s jetsets, got a set of brand new Dyna mufflers on eBay (and Routy’s forward controls adaptor).
I installed the Dyna muffler initially (still have the other Dyna if anybody is interested) and had some trouble trying to connect it to the exhaust pipe, tried the gasket but had too many leaks so I got the exhaust adapter from Ryca, it worked like a charm, perfect. I installed a cone air filter and proceeded to install the new jets (main & pilot). I initially did the 150 main (leaving the stock pilot), replace the spacer with the washer provided on Lancer’s jetset kit also I unplugged the pilot screw per your instructions.
First thing I notice was that the bike did not need to choke to star and I’ve read somewhere that Lancer made a comment about having to rich of a mix, I was able to fix that but it was running real rough and backfiring a lot, it had no power (acceleration) whatsoever. OK, I went up on the main to 150 and the 55 pilot. Now it runs better (the engine seems to be smoother) but still has no acceleration at all. I put the throttle down and it goes nowhere, it eventually gets to 50 or 55 but that’s it.
Ah! I have a motorcycle mechanic that suggested that the air cone may be the culprit but, I reconnected the air box, and it still socks (performance).
I will appreciate any help any of you can provide
Thanks!

« Last Edit: 12/31/12 at 00:06:30 by Qwapy »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Need assistance - Having trouble tuning the bi
Reply #1 - 12/30/12 at 18:30:06

Did ya take the carb apart or just flip it over & swap jets?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #2 - 12/30/12 at 18:55:18

I took it a part. I followed Serowbot's guidelines "two step increase in the overall jetting.... From stock,.. say, from a #145 to a #150 main,... from a #52.5 to a #55 pilot with a little more opening on the idle mix screw (1/2 to 1 turn more)... and a reduced spacer thickness on the needle" with the three washers that came on Lancer's jetset.
Serowbot mentioned that the spacer affects accelarations and that is where my problem resides. Should I put back the stock spacer? just wondering

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #3 - 12/30/12 at 19:20:28

what all has been done??
do you have the stock petcock or a raptor mod,
which cone filter did you have??

more details will help us even know where to start looking

IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #4 - 12/30/12 at 19:34:42

I have the raptor. I reconnected the airbox (not using the air cone anymore) there was no change in the performance at all (cone or airbox). In my original posting I stated what mods I did (dyna muffler, rejeted the carb). Installed a cone air filter originally when I did the dyna and the rejet but reattached the airbox back when performance did not improve.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 12/30/12 at 21:34:01

Yeah, but what brand cone filter? Cheap filters block the port on the carb and that port is responsible for pretty much the entire function of the carb.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1347609265

IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #6 - 12/30/12 at 21:38:54

Yes, I know that. I made sure the filter was not blocking anything in the carb. Anyhow, I am not using the filter, I reconnected the air box.
Below is a picture of the filter I used (Emgo stainless mesh filter ). Again, the filter is not an issue (if it ever was one) I am using the stock air box.
I reshaped the filter just like you did yours in your post before I  installed it. I've read your post about the cheapo filters and their problem blocking the intake on the carb  Wink
For now , I will be running the stock box and I will use a K&N instead (for the air box)

S40_Air_Filter.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 12/30/12 at 22:31:05

Qwapy wrote on 12/30/12 at 17:56:50:
I initially did the 150 main (leaving the stock pilot), replace the spacer with the washer provided on Lancer’s jetset kit also I unplugged the pilot screw per your instructions.
First thing I notice was that the bike did not need to choke to star and I’ve read somewhere that Lancer made a comment about having to rich of a mix, I was able to fix that but it was running real rough and backfiring a lot, it had no power (acceleration) whatsoever.

Don't need choke to start, means pilot ok, I'd put that one back in.

Quote:
OK, I went up on the main to 150 and the 55 pilot. Now it runs better (the engine seems to be smother) but still has no acceleration at all. I put the throttle down and it goes nowhere, it eventually gets to 50 or 55 but that’s it.

No accel, lean on the top end... can't get to 55.  Go up on the main

Quote:
Ah! I have a motorcycle mechanic that suggested that the air cone may be the culprit but, I reconnected the air box, and it still socks (performance).

after you get it to go 70, if it still lacks accel, do the white spacer mod.

check your pod filter, some narrows down where it sits and blocks the intake to the slide.

WWW   IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #8 - 12/30/12 at 23:56:22

Thanks guys for your replies.
Verslagen1 wrote:
Quote:
Don't need choke to start, means pilot ok, I'd put that one back in.

You mean the the one I used on the first step? the 52.5 pilot (stock)

Quote:
No accel, lean on the top end... can't get to 55.  Go up on the main

I've already went up 2 steps from 147.5 to 150, to 152.5

Quote:
after you get it to go 70, if it still lacks accel, do the white spacer mod.

How do i get to 70 ?  Grin
I've also done the white spacer mod already

As is now the mods are:
  • The Raptor

• HD Dyna muffler

• 152.5 Main, 55 Pilot

• Replaced the white spacer with the 3 washers from Lancer's kit

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 12/31/12 at 03:14:39

Being in such a hot climate I think I would have kept the original jets right from the start.

IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #10 - 12/31/12 at 05:07:53

I don't know?
I know that the stock jets did not work properly, the bike had a hard time running after I installed the muffler and the cone filter, that's why I went to the first step mod (150 main jet) and then the second step (152.5 main, 55 pilot).

I think I am going back to the first step 150 main and 52.5 pilot and put the stock spacer back and see what happends. I will also leave the air box and get a K&N that fits the air box (althought I like the looks with the cone)The spacer affects acceleration, and that is the problem I am having. I'll find out.

I am planning to get one of those 36mm Mikuni VM round slide carburetor from Lancer eventually but for now, I just want to have some fun with the bike.

« Last Edit: 01/03/13 at 19:05:08 by Qwapy »  
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 12/31/12 at 09:54:53

What were you getting in terms of performance before you swapped out the exhaust? If you killed off your performance there would be no need to ditch the stock pipe...other than dropping 20 lbs and making it look better... Wink

Dropping 20 lbs of ugly is the best reason...
My ex, once suggested I cut my head off for the same reason... -Serow... Huh...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #12 - 12/31/12 at 10:38:28

Hello Bubba,

Performance wise I was getting whatever you can get with a stock bike. Now, I am getting nothing (stock, even if it sucked was better) but with the mod I should be getting a slighty better performance. And even though it has no acceleration the engine seems (maybe wishfull thinking) to be a lot smoother than before. And it sounds way better than before

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 12/31/12 at 10:40:43

Are ya SURE your slide isnt just sticking & dragging? Ya didnt oil it, did ya?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #14 - 12/31/12 at 11:03:13

@Justin,
Nope it is not sticking. Oiling? I did not recall oiling it anywhere. I just replaced the spacer with the washers and the needle seems fine (spring moving fine, no sticking)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 02:18:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need assistance - Having trouble tuning the bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.