Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Why not carry concealed even if it's illegal? (Read 386 times)
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Re: Why not carry concealed even if it's illegal?
Reply #30 - 01/04/13 at 18:48:46

I own five weapons, four of them hand guns. I also have my federal LEO credentials (retired) that entitle me to carry concealed anytime any place.

Having said that, I have never carried since I retired. I have never felt the need to. Granted I live in a very safe area, but I'm sure there are as many people who carry here as any other place (in the north) dangerous or not.

I think that for those who feel compelled to carry at all times, they are either paranoid, or relish the feeling of power they get from the gun. You know, they think "Ha, no one can see my gun, they don't know that I have the power of life or death over them." I believe the pleasure they feel in carrying and thinking about the gun they carry is giving them a psychological high that is rewarding to them.

I am not denigrating those who feel this way, I'm just offering my opinion as to perhaps one of many reasons a person feels compelled to carry.

Now if someone is required to walk or drive around in the bowels of some inner-city ghetto in the dead of night, well they may carry for obvious reasons.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #31 - 01/04/13 at 21:51:23

Starlifter wrote on 01/04/13 at 18:48:46:
I think that for those who feel compelled to carry at all times, they are either paranoid, or relish the feeling of power they get from the gun. You know, they think "Ha, no one can see my gun, they don't know that I have the power of life or death over them." I believe the pleasure they feel in carrying and thinking about the gun they carry is giving them a psychological high that is rewarding to them.

On July 7th or this year I watched a driver back over the top of the heart of my life.  He hit me too, but I never noticed as I was totally focused on her.  I thought she was going to die in my arms.  As a former paramedic, I went into medical mode, and treated her, got an ambulance in route, and properly packaged her for transport.  That said I felt totally powerless.  There are no words to say how empty I felt.

A gun would never help in that situation.  It happened too fast, with no way to prevent it.  But there are situations where a gun would help.  If I was ever in one of those, and Aida died because I did not feel like having a gun that day, I do not think I could survive it.  At least not as the person I am today.  If we could some how know in advance when we would need to have a gun, or lock the doors, or wear a seatbelt or helmet...  But we do not.  So we do those things each time, in the fervent hope that it will be totally unnecessary.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #32 - 01/04/13 at 22:05:27

Houstonbofh, What a terrable thing to happen...please tell me that Aida made a full recovery and is fine today.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #33 - 01/04/13 at 22:49:13

Houston,.. that is a tragic story...
... but,... if you give concealed carry some thought... it is such a rare instance in which it would be useful, it enters the absurd...

I do have a gun for home protection, in hopes that I will have a few seconds to get my mind around what is happening...
... and I've been in that situation a couple of times... ( never used it)...
But, I have realized,.. that in a face to face,.. I have no option...  The initiator has the jump... and I will force his hand if I attempt to draw...
This ain't the movies... and the good guys don't always win...

Hearing a noise outside,... and a glass break,... is very different than getting gunfire, out of the blue, in a public place...
It's just common sense... no matter how good you think you are,.. you can't outdraw, a drawn gun...
Face the reality,.. give up what you must... and live to fight another day...
(possibly,... in court, but not from a casket,..)...

You get right down to it,.. and I'm as conservative as you get...
I won't die for a principle... at least not for the principle of self defense...
That would be nonsensical...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 01/05/13 at 04:51:37

I think that for those who feel compelled to carry at all times, they are either paranoid, or relish the feeling of power they get from the gun. You know, they think "Ha, no one can see my gun, they don't know that I have the power of life or death over them."

Now if someone is required to walk or drive around in the bowels of some inner-city ghetto in the dead of night, well they may carry for obvious reasons.

I got my concealed carry permit as a result of an encounter with the meanest, nastiest, most hateful man I ever met.  I was doing my job as building inspector/zoning administrator/engineer for a small city I work for.  This man wanted to open a business and refused to get any  permits or to install the required EXIT or emergency lights - or to comply with the safety codes in any way.  He started doing plumbing and electrical work in a commercial building by himself.....and it was done poorly.  I found out that he had been convicted previously of carrying a weapon without a pemit, and when I went to post a STOP WORK order on the building I took the Police Chief with me.  The man and his partner at the site claimed they would have the place opened in 2 weeks - they said they have dealt with people that were tougher than us!  The next day the Police found out that this man had felony warrants for his arrest, and he spent the next 7 days in jail with a newfound hatred I imagined.

It turns out this man lived 3 miles from my house, and I honestly had no idea what he would do.  I installed a gate at the end of my driveway - which turned out to be a good thing as we had several break ins around the neighborhood and our gate probably saved us.  I also got an unlisted phone and enrolled in the Concealed Carry Class.  Eventually this fellow just disappeared and he is now gone I believe.  I usually have a gun with me whenever I leave the property - it is the only way to know for sure that you will have it when you need it.  I never have the attitude of having the power of life and death over anyone.....but I feel like I might have a chance of not becoming a victim.

How do you know when to shoot?  I have often wrestled with that thought and wondered how to make the correct decision.  If I am standing in a convenient store and the guy in front of me pulls out a gun to rob the place......is it my job to protect their money? (If he is going to actually shoot someone the the decision is easier......but how do you know in advance?)  I saw a video once of a fellow with a shotgun in a grocery store that was just walking around casually and killing people........in that case the decision would be easier to make....but I am not sure what chance I would have had against his weapone - but I might have been able to pin him down until help arrived.  I had a relative that was in law enforcement previously, and he attended a tactical training session for civilians.  He got lots of training on shooting.....and on the social and mental issues.  They said that if you shoot someone - you could very likely lose everything you own - even if you were justified and legally innocent.  Even if you have enough money to make it through the Police investigation, and trial if there is one......the family can file wrongfull death suits against you in Civil Court and the legal fees could completely use up any finances you have.  In KY the Material Fact is in your favor when you defend yourself.......so if someone points a plastic or unloaded gun and you shoot him.....odds are in your favor.  If you were standing in that convenient store line and you shot the robber and his gun is not loaded or is a plastic copy....the Material Fact is not in your favor and you could well be in trouble....both with the Police and the Civil Court if they file suit against you.  Justice is not speedy, and trials go on and on and on and your legal bills will keep sccumulating as you attempt to defend yourself and prove your innocence.  You may ultimately win....but have nothing left.        

« Last Edit: 01/05/13 at 07:27:05 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #35 - 01/05/13 at 07:31:09

I own five weapons, four of them hand guns. I also have my federal LEO credentials (retired) that entitle me to carry concealed anytime any place.

Having said that, I have never carried since I retired. I have never felt the need to. Granted I live in a very safe area, but I'm sure there are as many people who carry here as any other place (in the north) dangerous or not.

I am not denigrating those who feel this way, I'm just offering my opinion as to perhaps one of many reasons a person feels compelled to carry.

When you were carrying did you have paranoia, feel the power or get a high ?

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 01/05/13 at 07:41:04

Just yesterday. I'll bet this woman was glad she had a gun....
the guy hunted the entire house to find her. He wasn't do that to just say hello....

LOGANVILLE, Ga. —

A woman hiding in her attic with children shot an intruder multiple times before fleeing to safety Friday.

The incident happened at a home on Henderson Ridge Lane in Loganville around 1 p.m. The woman was working in an upstairs office when she spotted a strange man outside a window, according to Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman. He said she took her 9-year-old twins to a crawlspace before the man broke in using a crowbar.

But the man eventually found the family.

"The perpetrator opens that door. Of course, at that time he's staring at her, her two children and a .38 revolver," Chapman told Channel 2’s Kerry Kavanaugh.

The woman then shot him five times, but he survived, Chapman said. He said the woman ran out of bullets but threatened to shoot the intruder if he moved.

"She's standing over him, and she realizes she's fired all six rounds. And the guy's telling her to quit shooting," Chapman said.

The woman ran to a neighbor's home with her children. The intruder attempted to flee in his car but crashed into a wooded area and collapsed in a nearby driveway, Chapman said.

Deputies arrested 32-year-old Atlanta resident Paul Slater in connection with the crime. Chapman said they found him on the ground saying, "Help me. I'm close to dying." Slater was taken to Gwinnett Medical Center for treatment.  Chapman said Slater was shot in the face and neck.

In February, Slater was arrested on simple battery charges, according to the Gwinnett County Sheriff's Office. He has been arrested six other times in the county since 2008.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #37 - 01/05/13 at 07:47:21

The Luby's massacre took place on October 16, 1991, in Killeen, Texas, when George Hennard crashed his pickup truck through the front window of a Luby's cafeteria, shot 50 people (killing 23), exchanged shots with responding police, and then hid in a bathroom and fatally shot himself. It was the deadliest shooting rampage in American history up to that time.

I remember initially being pissed at my squad leader for making me miss our weekly lunch at Luby's that day.  Angry

Not quite so pissed later that day.  

IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 01/05/13 at 08:12:08

You have to ask yourself are you willing to kill other person to protect yourself or others? Then you have the situation itself to deal with, usually a fire fight is one of the most chaotic, deadly things you will ever experience. Some people can only pee themselves and shake, other react with returning fire, and calmness, each person reacts different.
There is no knowing what YOU will do until you are in the fight, and even then EACH time carrys different circumstances, different reactions.

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #39 - 01/05/13 at 10:41:28

Starlifter,
Thank you so much for your concern!  That same concern from friends, family, and the biker community in Houston really made a huge difference those first few weeks.

To answer your question, yes, Aida and I have recovered.  We still have movements that pinch, but we do not let them slow us down.  We went for our first ride since the wreck (took a while to fix both us and the bikes) on Christmas day.  Having her with me was all the Christmas present I needed!

But back to the topic...

Serowbot...  You are more likely to defend yourself with a firearm than be in a plane wreck.  Do you ware a seatbelt on a plane?  The statistics on bystander CPR survival rates are as low as 6%.  If you drop, do you want us to bother?  It does not matter if the chances are one in a million, if you are that "one."

Diamond Jim...
I actually know people that were there at Luby's.  And this video sums it up. http://www.mrctv.org/videos/dr-suzanna-gratia-hupp-talks-about-lubys-restaura...
The classic one in front of congress... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIeyn0-rdx4

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #40 - 01/05/13 at 11:42:39

Houston, I am so very glad you both fully recovered. Peace.

"When you were carrying did you have paranoia, feel the power or get a high?" Lancer

No, but I was fully trained, and of course carrying a weapon was a condition of employment. I was carrying in a official capacity and had to qualify at the range six times per year.

That statement was not ment to paint every CCW with the same broad brush, but to point out that there are too many yahoos out there who do carry for this reason.

For example in the instance of Dave's encounter with a threatening nut while doing his job in an official capacity, he was totally justified in obtaining a CCW permit.

Oh and Dave, you shoot only in the gravest extreme. To save money or property (not your own) no. When your life or someone else's life is in imminent danger, you shoot. No warning shots, no shoot em' in the leg, you shoot to kill. We were trained to put two in the chest and one in the head very quickly and very accurately.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #41 - 01/05/13 at 13:16:50

For the Texas CHL we are not trained to shoot to kill, but to shoot to stop.  This means center mass as that is most likely to both hit and stop.  The fact that the heart is there is purely coincidental.  Some of the instructors I know also say that every bullet fired in defense costs $100,000.  The legal costs can be expensive.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #42 - 01/05/13 at 16:17:16

Starlifter wrote on 01/05/13 at 11:42:39:
Houston, I am so very glad you both fully recovered. Peace.

"When you were carrying did you have paranoia, feel the power or get a high?" Lancer

No, but I was fully trained, and of course carrying a weapon was a condition of employment. I was carrying in a official capacity and had to qualify at the range six times per year.

That statement was not ment to paint every CCW with the same broad brush, but to point out that there are too many yahoos out there who do carry for this reason.

For example in the instance of Dave's encounter with a threatening nut while doing his job in an official capacity, he was totally justified in obtaining a CCW permit.

Oh and Dave, you shoot only in the gravest extreme. To save money or property (not your own) no. When your life or someone else's life is in imminent danger, you shoot. No warning shots, no shoot em' in the leg, you shoot to kill. We were trained to put two in the chest and one in the head very quickly and very accurately.

I too have been trained and spend range time every month or two to maintain proficiency, and did carry as a condition of employment but no longer of course.  I have personally not come across very many I would put into the "yahoo" catagory, but then I did not carry a badge either.  I would expect that by the very nature of the job you would have contact with many more than the rest of the general population.  If your job is to deal with bad guys then you meet more bad guys.
I agree that you do not pull a weapon unless you are prepared to take the other person down in defense of your or someone else's life.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #43 - 01/05/13 at 16:35:50

Yes, spot on Lancer. Wink

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 01/06/13 at 05:40:38

I have a permit in VA, They teach two chest one head. But I rarily carry a gun, I just dont have a fear for my life. However, I do enjoy shooting. I got my permit because there was a time in my life that I did fear for it due to some unfortunate firing situations but hopefully that has all past.

Star you are probably right there are those that carry because it makes them feel like a bada--. I hope that is far and few between.

There seem to be two overwhellming solutions,  "more guns" or "no guns". At least these are precieved by the opposite sides as the answer. These extreme answers are based on the fear that the other side may win. OK, start your negotiations high, but no one wants to be the first to give a little. Consiquently we will do  nothing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/18/24 at 18:05:50

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Why not carry concealed even if it's illegal?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.