Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Pine's Christmas ride
12/26/12 at 07:48:57

First Merry Christmas Yall!

So the yearly trek to the in-laws was upon us. Saturday, and as fine and sunny a day for riding as you could ask for, though a bit chilly. My in-laws live right at 150 miles away to the south of us near TylerTown MS. The way we go is to hit 1-20 to I-55 for about 10 miles, down I-55 to the Crystal Springs exit for another 15 miiles or so then this sleepy little highway 27 all the way down. Other than the Natchez Trace, probably the best motocycle road in all the state. I just had to do it, and I did. Next day I did it in reverse. So 300 miles in 2 days. Thats easy the longest single ride I have ever made on the bike, and easy the most miles i put on the bike in two days time.

Things I learned:

I dont like riding my Savage on the interstate at 70 with no wind screen. The bike dont like it either. I was scared that if I turned my head the helmet would catch enough wind to twist on the head, and if I lifted my hand off the handle-bars I would blow off.

I tend to lean/prop on my left arm when riding. I suspected this. My left arm, specifically my left elbow and wrist hurt when I ride. In fact now its 3 days later and my elbow still hurts. If I can force myself to stop then all the weight/pressure is put on my back. My back does get tired and even sore, but it recovers a heck of alot better than the elbow.  Also - by leaning on the left arm, I have much less control of the bike, conversly NOT leaning on my arm, the bike nearly steers its-self. I forced myself to not put any pressure on my left arm, and though my back didnt like it, the ride was more pleasant. Not sure how to deal with the very bad habit/situation.

The motocycle gods love me, and that really pissed off mother nature! It was a 10% chance of rain Sunday when I came back. Well it was 10% till 11, 20% till 2, and 30% there-after.  I left at 3:30, in a slight drizzle. By 40 miles in the road was dry and even my shins were drying out.  i got home about 5pm and it was near dark with rain clouds. I hopped off the bike in the carport and went to unlock the door. I had to fumble for my car keys in my pocket as the house is not on the motorcyle key ring... and the bottom dropped out. Yep seems, the gig was up and mother-nature saw I have been hidden in my trek, but was now revealed. By the time I traded boots and unloaded the jacket and went back out, mother nature was back to a drizzle.  Of course she spent the next two days making a total fuss over the deal with storms, tornados and straight-lines winds that we are still sorting out today. That pregnant dog is crazy.

I cant be certain, but something might not be so right with the bike. She use to do 80 easy, but on the back, on the interstate I opened her up ( WOT) while I was at 70, but going slightly up hill... after 30 or so seconds she seemed to top out at a mere 75.  The use-to-be hard thumps, are more gentle now (which I like) but I suspect, something may not be all well in the internals. Lower compression maybe? I blame the 70MPH needed to keep up with traffic on the interstate, my bike just is not built for that.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Pine's Christmas ride
Reply #1 - 12/26/12 at 09:11:56

me thinks you should try a different set of bars.

WWW   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 12/26/12 at 09:47:32

verslagen1 wrote on 12/26/12 at 09:11:56:
me thinks you should try a different set of bars.

It might not take a complete set of new bars... just bars that sit much higher up. My body type is short legged and long waisted. Thus i need the short seat height of the savage, but I need the bars up higher.

To be honest though...I figurea large part of it is poor habits. I work at a desk all day at a computer. I cant rest on my right arm as I use it to move the mouse (like you need it for the throttle on the bike). But unless I am typing I am free to lean on my left arm all I want... and I do. Of course at a desk there is no jarring from the road, nor am I using my arm/weight to steady/steer the bike.  This is also why my wrist hurts (I suspect) as all that weight is then transfered to the wrist.

Another thinkg I forgot... I use my legs to hug the bike body/tank. My thighs got very tired both ways, but that wore off pretty quick, so its not an issue, just something I never felt in my normal 20 minute rides to work.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 12/26/12 at 10:11:12

For me it the other way around, I've adopted the riding position at the desk.  Which is a big improvement over pouring myself into a seat and depending on it to hold me up.

The correct position will give you all day comfort, at the desk or on the bike.  Now the seat on the other hand...

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 12/26/12 at 16:23:02

Bring it up here and we'll get it set up to fit you correctly. I've got a full blacksmith shop, we can mod pretty much anything made of steel, aluminum, copper, brass...

And a friend down the road a couple miles has a tire machine, I've still got that rear Dunlop if you need it.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 12/27/12 at 06:07:04

WD wrote on 12/26/12 at 16:23:02:
Bring it up here and we'll get it set up to fit you correctly. I've got a full blacksmith shop, we can mod pretty much anything made of steel, aluminum, copper, brass...

And a friend down the road a couple miles has a tire machine, I've still got that rear Dunlop if you need it.

This is gonna happen... though not till it warms up! I wont be taking I-55 all the way up though.. to hard on me and the bike.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 12/27/12 at 06:59:47

It is warm, the snow is melting... Wink

You likely need some higher, wider bars. If you're up this way on a Saturday try Memphis Choppers, decent selection of used parts at pretty reasonable prices. I'm down to 7/8 bars in my stash right now, good for my antique Hondas and beach cruiser bicycles, but not for anything else.

I'd have you test sit my bike, but, you say you are inseam challenged and mine runs a nice thick Vulcan seat and 800 Intruder rear shocks... it's high up. Had to mod it for my spine damage after I got it back from my stepson (who wrecked the bike bad enough that he popped the fuel tank).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:17:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › Pine's Christmas ride

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.