Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Keeping hands warm in cold weather? (Read 507 times)
Grayowl

Always learn from
yesterday

North Texas
Re: Keeping hands warm in cold weather?
Reply #15 - 12/25/12 at 09:27:23

I guess something on the site will not allow thingy's in a message.  I have had it correct in both posts and then it comes up thing's in the actual posts.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #16 - 12/25/12 at 09:30:37

WD wrote on 12/25/12 at 06:23:40:
Go to BMW, Triumph or your local snowmobile shop. Buy riding MITTENS, gloves are a waste of time below 40*F. I've ridden at zero with an old pair of fur lined leather BMW riding mittens (old as in 1930s old) and my hands stayed functionally, comfortably warm. If none of the local shops carry leather riding mittens, a local shoe repair shop can  make them.

I have a pair of heavy leather mittens. Seemed like I'd lose some flexibility using them, but they are worth a try. Also applied some mink oil to my gloves to make them less breathable, and will try inserting some thin gloves inside them. Lots of good ideas here. Thanks!

- David
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 12/25/12 at 11:01:52

JUst a pair of the brown cotton gloves to hold the leather off the hand & hold a pocket of warm air is good, if ya cant land a pair of those super thin liners to go inside the brown ones. Its okay to buy a size larger leather glove to maintain flexibility & avoid compressing the brown cotton so much ya lose the insulating effect.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 12/25/12 at 23:29:26

I posted this a couple of years ago and what I do is bought a small rubber hot water bottle from the dollar store and fill it with hot water and stick it up under the front of my jacket. It keeps my chest warm and when I pull over I use it for a hand warmer and fill my cup with hot water so I can have hot chocolate. When I have to come to a stop I just slide my hands up the front of my coat for a bit and warm my fingers back up. Everything else I try as far as gloves go hamper my grip on the handlebars.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #19 - 12/26/12 at 10:16:03

I have several different pairs of gloves, none of which keep my hands warm for long. My leather gauntlet gloves, treated with mink oil, don't even do the job.

I got some "Scooter Mitts" on Amazon for less than $13. They needed a little modifying to fit but they work great. They're not pretty but they do the job.

There are several other brands, some of which would probably fit better, but for the $$$ they work. Bought a second pair for my friend Ken who rides to work every day no matter how cold it gets. He gives them 2 warm thumbs up also. Cool

On a recent round trip ride  of over 150 miles in the 40s, my hands stayed warm with only my summer gloves. Can't beat that!

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #20 - 12/26/12 at 19:03:48

My wife has these and she has not had the chance to get them out for some real cold yet. http://www.taichimoto.com/rs-taichi-heat-generator-inner-gloves/

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #21 - 12/27/12 at 11:44:45

My brother mentioned handlebar gauntlets as an option. I see several types in eBay. Most seem intended for ATV use, but some look like they also work with motorcycles. Anyone try these and find a brand that works well on a bike?

- David
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #22 - 12/27/12 at 12:17:32

I just came back from a short ride (15 miles). I put a pair of the exam type gloves under my GatorSkin liners and Firstgear Thinsulate lined gloves. It was 30*F. Problem solved. At least for that ride.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Joe F

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 12/28/12 at 19:49:25

Gerbing heated gloves.  Run the wires down your coat sleeves and down the back of the jacket.  Run a wire from the battery so that it hangs out from under the seat.  You have to plug in when you sit down but your hands are never cold.  I commute into the high 20s (F) without any problems.  They are sometimes too warn.

They also make a pair of battery powered gloves but I've never tried them.

IP Logged
perajani
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #24 - 12/29/12 at 02:36:49

As this is regular topic here where we have currently 60cm snow, just look the gear on this KTM. Heated grips + fixed handle gloves.
http://www.matkaendurot.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8309&start=90

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #25 - 12/29/12 at 10:17:21

Grayowl wrote on 12/25/12 at 09:27:23:
I guess something on the site will not allow thingy's in a message.  I have had it correct in both posts and then it comes up thing's in the actual posts.

A few years back when I started on here, I was confused by all the threads and questions about "pet thingy's' ....
testing. testing ... ' petcock "  

- edit: looks like they fixed that problem  Grin

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #26 - 01/01/13 at 19:57:13

I live in Colorado Springs and ride throughout the winter as I don't own a cage.

I use a knock-off version of Hippo-Hands during the cold season:

Bought 'em at a garage sale a while back for about two bucks....I think they are made for ATVs.  Works fine on my bike (buckhorn handlebars).

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Jahoo

Annapolis,MD
Reply #27 - 01/04/13 at 15:45:24

Did anyone say gloves yet?

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #28 - 01/10/13 at 18:46:48

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 12/26/12 at 10:16:03:
I have several different pairs of gloves, none of which keep my hands warm for long. My leather gauntlet gloves, treated with mink oil, don't even do the job.

I got some "Scooter Mitts" on Amazon for less than $13. They needed a little modifying to fit but they work great. They're not pretty but they do the job.

There are several other brands, some of which would probably fit better, but for the $$$ they work. Bought a second pair for my friend Ken who rides to work every day no matter how cold it gets. He gives them 2 warm thumbs up also. Cool

On a recent round trip ride  of over 150 miles in the 40s, my hands stayed warm with only my summer gloves. Can't beat that!

Ordered the same Scooter Mitts from Amazon. What did you have to do to them to get them to fit the S40?

- David
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #29 - 01/10/13 at 20:33:23

DavidOfMA wrote on 01/10/13 at 18:46:48:
Ordered the same Scooter Mitts from Amazon. What did you have to do to them to get them to fit the S40?

I don't use those particular items, but I will say that it is desirable to adjust them such that you can remove a hand from one and then be able to easily reinsert said hand at speed (i.e. you want the mitt to stream about straight back in the wind if your hand is removed from same).

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:15:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Keeping hands warm in cold weather?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.