Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ryca Build - Day 2 - Rear Wheel, Carb and Question (Read 129 times)
Holly
YaBB Newbies

'03 SV650, '08
S40/RYCA

Seattle, WA
Ryca Build - Day 2 - Rear Wheel, Carb and Question
12/23/12 at 15:17:55

The second full day (5 or so hours) went well. Swingarm is back on, rear wheel, shocks, etc. Love the chrome and black shocks! Also re-jetted the carb with some help from a friend.

Made the frame cuts (except for the seat) using a 3" cutting wheel which made quick work of the cuts and a spectacular spark show. Sanded the cuts and replaced 2 of the 3 motor mount bolts. Struggling though with the 3rd - the one that will support the the kickstand. That sucker WILL NOT budge. Tried WD40, heat, impact, swearing at it ...  Embarrassed  Those (well the first three) were the most common methods when I googled for ideas. Other suggestions?

P1000501.JPG
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Ryca Build - Day 2 - Rear Wheel, Carb and Ques
Reply #1 - 12/23/12 at 15:30:54

When you heated it did you heat the bolt or the kick stand bracket?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
jvdb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/23/12 at 16:04:18

really long breaker bar

IP Logged
Holly
YaBB Newbies

'03 SV650, '08
S40/RYCA

Seattle, WA
Reply #3 - 12/23/12 at 16:16:20

Threw some really bright light on the situation and discovered paint. Grrr. Worked that specific issue and finally broke the bolt loose. Wow, that was much harder than it needed to be! Progress though. We don't have a vice (or workbench for that matter) so the kickstand will visit my parents on Xmas to deal with the pin that needs removed. Getting the kickstand on will help reduce the jockeying of jack stands that are currently holding the bike in a manageable position.

So far, so good.

Happy Holidays everyone!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 12/23/12 at 16:21:48

I see you have a motorcycle jack.  I used mine to get the bike about a foot off the floor,... with the bike firmly cargo-strapped to the jack.  For most of the work necessary, it puts the bike in a reasonably comfortable place.  If I do anymore of these, I want to get a bike table that'll get the thing off the floor a few feet.  

« Last Edit: 12/23/12 at 22:07:38 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
jvdb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/23/12 at 16:28:17

you could get that pin out easily with vice grips.

IP Logged
Holly
YaBB Newbies

'03 SV650, '08
S40/RYCA

Seattle, WA
Reply #6 - 12/25/12 at 10:06:02

I've used the lift on and off, but the bike high-centers on the engine instead of resting on the frame. My husband is sure it'll fall on my head. The jack stands work great and are very secure as long as I have equal points to perch on them.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 12/25/12 at 10:10:15

Holly wrote on 12/25/12 at 10:06:02:
I've used the lift on and off, but the bike high-centers on the engine instead of resting on the frame. My husband is sure it'll fall on my head. The jack stands work great and are very secure as long as I have equal points to perch on them.

Yes, the motorcycle jack by itself won't hack it.  I have to use a couple of small wood blocks to the the jack to locate on the frame, rather than the engine.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
cafecarl

I love old
motorcycles

Maine
Reply #8 - 12/27/12 at 08:28:46

I built one of these out of two sheets of 3/4" plywood. My knees aren't up to too much crawling around on the floor. www.bbcracing.com/old/box
They have it set up so it can be broken down easily and they don't fasten the top. I put some extra strips on the base and put a few drywall screws in to hold the top. It has found a spot in my workspace and I find it usefull for lots of other projects (I had the rototiller up there to fix it last year).
I know there are better/different options out there but this has worked great for me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 02:13:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ryca Build - Day 2 - Rear Wheel, Carb and Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.