Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Maybe We Should Focus More on Pills, Less On Guns (Read 255 times)
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Maybe We Should Focus More on Pills, Less On G
Reply #15 - 12/25/12 at 06:04:12

Putting the bullet business in the hands of the people who need to make them from chemicals and metal, automatically makes them want to not spend 3-400 of those in a few sec.

McVeigh was a well funded motivated terrorist. Not a loner nut.

Now 3-400 bullets are a few bucks, and take seconds to buy. we will just make it take 30-40 hours. That would put a lot of the fringe nuts out of it.

In India too we make those firecrackers and possibly even higher power explosives pretty easily, and you know how ? We have a few regions where the soil is combustible. Like in an area called "sivakasi" you stick you hand in the sand and it will come out silver in color. Loaded with some magnesium based compound. Whatever is the components of gun powder, we put it under the same controlled substances. Just make it harder and harder.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #16 - 12/25/12 at 20:29:14

srinath wrote on 12/25/12 at 06:04:12:

... Just make it harder and harder.

Cool.
Srinath.

Yeah, make it harder and harder for the folks that obey laws.  Those are the folks that would most likely not do anything wrong in the first place.  These folks are 99.99% of the folks that like guns.

The folks that don't obey laws just sneer at any more gun laws.  Well,... they either sneer or giggle.  They sneer at the stupidity, but they giggle at how more gun laws just make it harder and harder for law-abiders to do what they want, and/or to defend themselves.  The end result, as always, of more gun laws is simply that with each additional law, the bad guys have more of an advantage.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 12/26/12 at 07:27:56

Once again, you're talking gun laws, I am talking bullet laws.
And this solution attempt is free.
There is plenty of bullets out there. However in a few years they will work themselves out. Even a criminal has to buy bullets. He already has a gun, and a gun is indestructible. You wont be able to get bullets for under 100 bucks a pop. Or make them yourself ... you just need to be a machinist. And a chemist and have access to controlled substances and be able to hide form the law ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 12/26/12 at 07:38:23

You are all still thinking very short term. It took 150 years of gun lobby having its way to get to the point where a depressed guy took his mom's guns, killed her and drove to a school and killed 27 people.

You cant "ban assault weapons" and 2 days later when some other madman going on a rampage say that the "ban" didn't work.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #19 - 12/26/12 at 08:34:22

There's going to be times evil is going to prevail and no law or laws will stop it. Wasnt there a killing or killings with a bow and arrow on a college campus? I briefly heard something about it. We would have better results if we concentrated on phychiatric drugs and mental illness.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #20 - 12/26/12 at 09:16:56

Midnightrider wrote on 12/26/12 at 08:34:22:
There's going to be times evil is going to prevail and no law or laws will stop it. Wasnt there a killing or killings with a bow and arrow on a college campus? I briefly heard something about it. We would have better results if we concentrated on phychiatric drugs and mental illness.

The worst child massacre in this country's history occurred at a school in Michigan in 1927.  Not one gun was used.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #21 - 12/26/12 at 09:29:41

srinath wrote on 12/26/12 at 07:27:56:
Once again, you're talking gun laws, I am talking bullet laws.
And this solution attempt is free.
There is plenty of bullets out there. However in a few years they will work themselves out. Even a criminal has to buy bullets. He already has a gun, and a gun is indestructible. You wont be able to get bullets for under 100 bucks a pop. Or make them yourself ... you just need to be a machinist. And a chemist and have access to controlled substances and be able to hide form the law ...

Cool.
Srinath.

Another idiotic idea.  You proposed taking bullets away from everyone when about one billionth of the bullets made ever do anything illegal.  That's correct,.. one billionth.  One out of 1,000,000,000.  

There is a similar situation with guns.  You want to have guns be made ineffective for everyone, when less than one percent of one percent of one percent of the guns in this country are used illegally.  In this country, a gun is used successfully for self defense about once every 13 seconds.  That would be a lousy trade-off.

Put all this in context.  The loss of life from misuse of guns is not very important compared to other causes for loss of life.  This country loses over a hundred people EVERY DAY in auto accidents,. and nearly double that from diabetes.  If we could get the government to stop the propaganda about 'healthy whole grains" and eventually get people to stop eating wheat and other grains, that diabetes number would be reduced 90%.

Taking bullets away from the overwhelming (meaning nearly absolute) majority of law-abiders who need them or simply want them is the wrong way to go, for many reasons ranging from the Second Amendment to the simple need for freedom to do what we want without bothering anyone else.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #22 - 12/26/12 at 10:16:10

Banning chemicals that might be able to be turned into propellants or explosives would affect every facet of your life. Fuel, oil, fertilizers, medications, packaging materials, clothing. Wiring, plumbing, rubber goods. Grilling out on the back deck (charcoal is the primary ingredient in black powder).

Sulphur (a black powder ingredient) is used in various forms in medications, fertilizers, food preservation.

Nitrates (the other black powder component) are used in foods, so goodbye any pre-fab lunch meats, hams, bacon and sausages, wine, packaged lettuce or other greens. Nitrites also work in gun powder and are found in the same foods as nitrates.

So you say you only have modern weaponry? Smokeless powders contain compounds used in the same industries as black powder ingredients.

Collateral damages would be more wide spread than the issues why a gun/ammo/components ban would be enacted.

Nice try though.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #23 - 12/26/12 at 12:23:19

"Put all this in context.  The loss of life from misuse of guns is not very important compared to other causes for loss of life.  This country loses over a hundred people EVERY DAY in auto accidents." Gyro

GREAT arguement! This guy drove his volvo into an elementary school and killed 20 kids and 6 adults before driving over himself...

Yes, stick with your arguement..You must have been an ace in debate.

Our sh!tty infrastructure relies on cars....Guns? Not so much.

People don't buy cars for the express purpose of  killing other people with them. That whole analogy is ridiculous.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 12/26/12 at 16:29:17

I never purchased a gun with the intent of shooting it at another human being.
Why should I be penalized?

I posted the statistics before...
Tobacco is the number one. People still have no problem buying, selling, and using tobacco. It not only kills you through first and second hand but do you remember when people were falling asleep while smoking and setting their homes on fire?

I bet no one ever bought a pack of smokes with the intention of burning their house down. But yea, no, keep selling 'em.

--Steve

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #25 - 12/26/12 at 17:18:44

Starlifter wrote on 12/26/12 at 12:23:19:
"Put all this in context.  The loss of life from misuse of guns is not very important compared to other causes for loss of life.  This country loses over a hundred people EVERY DAY in auto accidents, and nearly double that from diabetes." Gyro

Starry says, "People don't buy cars for the express purpose of  killing other people with them. That whole analogy is ridiculous."  Sorry Starry, your point is the ridiculous one because 99.999999% of the folks buying guns don't intend to kill anyone either.  You make my point for me.

Lately there have been over 100,000 background checks done per day.  Those background checks are done by gun stores that have to do them for every gun purchase.  This doesn't even count the individual gun sales which might be even double that.  You think most of those folks are buying guns to kill people?  Methinks not.  I will admit, though, with tens of millions of guns being sold every year, there are going to be a few wackos that will do nasty things with them.  Additional gun laws that make it harder on folks like you are me will have no effect on those wackos, or on criminals who sneer and giggle at gun laws.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #26 - 12/26/12 at 18:05:58

None of the individual sales are background checked.
And over 40% of nationwide gun sales are outside of the background checks.
The Idiots I know are felons and own guns ... as is the moron who shot the fire fighters when he burned his house down. Get this, that fool was in jail for killing his grandmother.

The sandy hook Idiot killed his momma for her guns. It needs to have a fingerprint trigger lock, and the bullets need to cost 1000's cos we cant get all the guns back and fit them with fingerprint trigger locks. You should be allowed to trade in your open guns for fingerprint ID guns.

Seriously ... the arguments are hollow ... with every case of these shootings it is getting hollower and hollower.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 12/26/12 at 20:35:53

I find this hilarious that people who have a medical mary jane card cannot hold a concealed carry license! They can't buy a gun... Yet severly mentally ill, on mind altering chemicals can buy anything...

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #28 - 12/27/12 at 04:59:48

srinath wrote on 12/26/12 at 18:05:58:
Seriously ... the arguments are hollow ... with every case of these shootings it is getting hollower and hollower.

Cool.
Srinath.

Exactly.  Each and every one of these cases shows how futile any kind of restrictions on law-abiders is.  The only effect they ever have is to give more advantage to the wackos, idiots, and criminals.

Futile is not the right word.  Maybe harmful would be better.  Every single time we put restrictions on law-abiders, the violence increases.  Every time.  No exceptions.  The converse is true as well.  Every time the law-abiders are allowed to be better armed, the violence goes down.  This is simply the way things work here.

The perfect illustration for this is what happened in Morton Grove , IL, and Kennesaw, GA.  
-- Against the wishes of its citizens, Morton Grove enacted a gun ban.
-- Shortly thereafter, Kennesaw enacted laws that required everyone to own a gun for self-defense.  
-- A year after that many more people than normal died violently in Morton Grove, while Kennesaw's violent crime rate decreased significantly.

It is hard to understand why allegedly intelligent people want to disarm the law-abiders.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #29 - 12/27/12 at 06:05:21

Gyrobob wrote on 12/27/12 at 04:59:48:
srinath wrote on 12/26/12 at 18:05:58:

Cool.
Srinath.

Exactly.  Each and every one of these cases shows how futile any kind of restrictions on law-abiders is.  The only effect they ever have is to give more advantage to the wackos, idiots, and criminals.

Futile is not the right word.  Maybe harmful would be better.  Every single time we put restrictions on law-abiders, the violence increases.  Every time.  No exceptions.  The converse is true as well.  Every time the law-abiders are allowed to be better armed, the violence goes down.  This is simply the way things work here.

The perfect illustration for this is what happened in Morton Grove , IL, and Kennesaw, GA.  
-- Against the wishes of its citizens, Morton Grove enacted a gun ban.
-- Shortly thereafter, Kennesaw enacted laws that required everyone to own a gun for self-defense.  
-- A year after that many more people than normal died violently in Morton Grove, while Kennesaw's violent crime rate decreased significantly.

It is hard to understand why allegedly intelligent people want to disarm the law-abiders.

You are talking very very short term.
And not talking about cutting off bullet supply ...
And not talking about some ID based trigger lock ...

Your scenario is this. Yesterday we banned guns.
Today 20 people got shot. You then claim gun ban didn't work.

Turns out, there was a month lead up to the ban date, the whacko's stockpiled and went on a rampage. You imply that it was the ban that affected it.

And the local city level crap does not work. Its like "to get rid of our trash problem we will pay 10c per bottle, can, and sheet of paper" Instantly, people with trucks full of crap from 100 miles away will show up and dump in your town.
Also crime is a bit different. Criminals prefer to commit crime in an area they are familiar with, but dont live in. So kennesaw crime, usually committed by people living outside kennesaw. So kennesaw's crime will not go down when kennesaw bans guns, it will go down when the towns around kennesaw do.

I also am assuming everyone is reading all my posts made prior to the current post.
I mentioned gun calibers that are not currently in production are to be made equipped with ID trigger locks. Those guns you can get bullets for upon producing ID and background check.
The guns out in the country now, you can turn in for that type of gun.
The guns that are there you cant get ammo for.
You need to make the ammo, from materials you cant buy cheap or easy.
Better yet, the ID tag trigger bullets should be pretty hard to open and get powder out of. Law abiding gun owners should have no problem wiht that. They get their guns and bullets as it is right now, and that gun will only fire in their hand.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 07:00:41

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Maybe We Should Focus More on Pills, Less On Guns

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.