Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Suzuki Savage - A better single than the old ones (Read 260 times)
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Suzuki Savage - A better single than the old ones
12/20/12 at 17:26:58

After riding my bike for almost 4000 miles this summer and then tearing my bike down for a rebuild I have a few observations. I have owned several single cylinder bikes in the past (Triumph Trophy 250, BSA Goldstar 500, & Yamaha SR500 to name a few) and I have to say this Suzuki LS650 of mine is easier than an any of them start by far. The fact that it is the ONLY one of them that has electric start MIGHT have something to do with this. It vibrates less than any of them. It was the easiest of them to work on as well (NO Lucas electrics). It gets better fuel economy by displacement than any of them too...my BSA 500 & SR500 only got in the mid 40's for fuel economy. As far as handling...it doesn't come close to the SR500 or even the BSA 500 but for a cruiser it handles surprisingly well...more than I expected. Overall I am happy with it and will keep it. It's shortcomings can be rectified without too much trouble and less expense than a multiple cylinder bike.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Suzuki Savage - A better single than the old o
Reply #1 - 12/20/12 at 17:50:13

Oh yeah!...  Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #2 - 12/20/12 at 18:35:43

You've pretty much nailed it ST! I started out on a Harley SS350 Sprint and rode that thing across several states. Moved on to many other scoots,including Triumph and Norton 500 singles and a 1969 BSA 441 Star.  I never rode the SR500 But came close to buying one a couple of years ago(until I remembered the kick-start only feature!).

Granted the Savage does not handle or perform like the BSA or Norton but it suits my almost 60 year old body much better. The fuel economy is better but after you hit the 45mpg mark who's counting? Dependability is much better with the Savage. Thankfully those "Lucifer" electrics have been banished to Hades where they belong Grin.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 12/21/12 at 03:06:29

I had a '78 SR500 and it had kick and electric start.
Bought it brandy new in Pensacola Fl when in Naval flight school
I fully enjoyed the SR, DBD 500 Goldie and the LS now.
For sheer power the Goldie was way out front, but it was built for the 1 mile flat track so you have to expect much less civility.  CRANK THE THROTTLE AND TRY TO HANG ON.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 12/21/12 at 05:18:10

My big single was a 450cc bevel gear drive Ducati scrambler.  I have a reoccurring nightmare in which I have to get over to campus to take a test and the durned thing won't start on a cold morning.    

I like the Savage just fine the way it is .....  best wee bagger in the world it is.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 12/21/12 at 17:50:02

Had a buddy back in the late 60's that had a 500 BSA single. It wasn't mine so I didn't have to deal with the maintainace issues, but I used to borrow it now and then. I couldn't ride it more that 15 or twenty miles without my hands and butt going completly to sleep. Compared to that thing my Suzuki feels like its got an electric motor.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 12/22/12 at 02:49:21

There is something to be said for the counterweighted engine design, it does make life on the road more comfortable.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 12/22/12 at 10:55:48

You'd expect a single cylinder with what amounts to a lightweight small block Chevy piston to shake itself apart. Instead, the engine is almost TOO smooth. But it is good about letting you know when something is amiss internally, if it starts shaking or making noise, you're going to notice.

I did see one for sale the other day down here with a snapped connecting rod. Blew the top end apart when that monster piston hit the head. But the owner kept it upright and got it to the shoulder.

My Gold Star was in my possession for all of 5 minutes... 2nd kick through the kicker shaft snapped in half. And I don't mean the arm, it was fine.  Huh

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 12/23/12 at 03:17:02

Quote:

My Gold Star was in my possession for all of 5 minutes... 2nd kick through the kicker shaft snapped in half. And I don't mean the arm, it was fine.  Huh

UH OH !!    Huh

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 12/23/12 at 14:07:41

Parts junker at that point, got $2K for it as it sat.  Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 06:30:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suzuki Savage - A better single than the old ones

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.