Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Am I missing something? (Read 531 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Am I missing something?
Reply #15 - 12/22/12 at 21:25:05

Hold over from the outlaw clubs of the 1960s, much of the membership rolls were WW2 veterans. You rode an Allied built bike or you didn't ride, and you never contaminated your American or English bike with Oriental parts. When the Japanese Big 4 became the world standard in the 70s and 80s, the same held true in reverse. Don't put HD parts on your metric, keep it pure. Still a serious blood feud between many in the SAE/Whitworth camp against the "rice riders" and vice versa. Your friend is also a victim of the "Sportsters suck" train of though (I've had several, most were beyond suck, but, a running ride is better than no ride, even if it is a "chick" bike). Or he lipped off to an old time rider and was shown "the error of his ways" (got his a$$ handed to him on a platter).

Ignore him. If he's that stuck on it, that's his problem. My Savage has an English style 7" side mount headlight, full FL rear fender, 50s HD style dirt track fuel tank (with first generation Rebel 250 mechanical petcock), 15" apehanger bars... and a Kawasaki VN800A  2 up seat (with studded out Mustang seat cover to match the saddle bags)... and Intruder 800 rear shocks (off my wife's bike, which uses Savage shocks and a Mustang Royal Duke mini king and queen seat). Your bud would probably have a stroke... Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #16 - 12/23/12 at 11:49:24

WD I would love to see some pics of your ride.

Like I said his comments are water under the bridge for me...I'm gonna put whatever tank on that I want to.  I made the comment that I've got HD handle bars (10" mini-apes) on the bike already and he said that was different because handle bars are handle bars no matter what name was on them  Shocked Huh  Anyways...I just have to decide what tank I want on there...thinking about going down to the local salvage shop this Saturday after I get back in town and looking at some after market tanks to see what I like the best.

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f*%# with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 12/23/12 at 14:02:56

Seat and paint are different now. And it has floorboards now. Haven't finished the repaint so no current pics. Bike is in a bunch of pieces in the barn, home office, storage trailer, storage shed, down at my blacksmith shop...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #18 - 12/23/12 at 14:11:17

Sweet lookin ride WD!  I'll try to figure out how to get pictures off my phone uploaded.  I was gonna wait till my ride was done to post pics.  So far I've got those mini-apes, no front fender, a bobbed rear fender (bobbed to the side bracket) and some custom bags made out of two 5.56 ammo cans that I welded to the side brackets.  I was waiting to have a second car so I could put the bike on a stand and do some work to it, mainly paint it.  But now I guess I got to figure out what tank I'm gonna put on it to before I can paint it.  I'll get pictures soon...at least that's what I keep telling myself.

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f*%# with me, I'll kill you all.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #19 - 12/24/12 at 01:36:33

I've also got a twin leading shoe drum front wheel I may put back on (disc looks goofy and doesn't work right). Have to decide if my rims will be gloss black, cream or orange (I hate chrome). Bars will be blacked out unless I run the chick stick, then both will stay chromed to go with the seat and bags spots. Switch boxes have been removed, just need to wire in a couple 2 way toggle switches (both 20a fused) for headlight and turn signals (if I run them). Engine will be repainted Chrysler Hemi orange since the Chevy red-orange is getting old (flaking, chipping, boring). Exhaust will be completely blacked out (bbg/woodstove paint). Battery box will be blacked out (or relocated, and then blacked out). Black edging on the fenders and tank when the paint job is finished, HD rear fender tip trim will be blacked out. Red color seperation tape, maybe red pinstripes (English style) on the rims. More nude or otherwise risque pin up decals...

And a set of SS runes under the tombstone tail light that will be replacing the worn out, too low beehive light on it now...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #20 - 01/01/13 at 21:13:42

She lived!!!  Grin Grin Grin  Got an OLD Sportster tank from my buddy for $20...plus about $15 in supplies and I was off to the races today.  Took me 8 hrs cause I kept screwin the dang mount points up (and my welder quit on me).  But I got her done and took her for a run down the street.  Ended up stealing the speedo and speedo housing off my buddies VS700 and ran that off one of the bolts on top of the chrome head cover on the right side.  Best part is the odometers were only a couple hundred miles off from each other.  I've got to get a new cap for the tank cause the one that's on it rattles pretty bad and I'm pretty sure if I listen to it to much the voices in my head will start telling me to do stupid things.  Thinking probably one that the center pushes down and rides flush when you don't have it out of the tank.  I'll try to get some pics tomorrow when it's day light out and get them up here.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #21 - 01/01/13 at 22:11:04

New thick gas cap gasket from the HD parts counter should run you $5 or so out the door... Then you have a rider tank while you set up a flush mount tank. They have the gasket back to the K-models (early 50s flat head pre Sportster). All they need is the year of the tank. NAPA has new caps that will fit it, look in the print catalog, the computer is next to useless for bike parts.

If it's a later model cap with plastic screws instead of a twist lock, new caps are $10 and up...

Any idea what year the tank came off of?

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 01/02/13 at 02:41:17

Hey, some folks just get all emotional and irrational about their bikes and/or women, but wha'cha gonna do ? ?  

IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #23 - 01/02/13 at 03:51:52

No I don't know what year it is WD.  I'll try to snap a pic tonight and post it to see if you (or anyone else for that matter) has an idea.  It's pretty deep...I put right at 3 gal in it when I filled it.  I'll get you pics though.

Lancer...yeah good thing it's my bike and not his right?  Huh Roll Eyes

IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #24 - 01/02/13 at 18:34:22

Here's a pic of the tank.  If anyone has any idea of what year it might have come off of I would appreciate it.

image_029.jpg

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #25 - 01/03/13 at 05:29:33

Aftermarket or XLCR900/XL1000 Ironhead era. Size is the same as the last 900 I worked with, which was going in a rigid frame. So late 1960s to about 1974.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #26 - 01/03/13 at 15:38:29

WD you know your motorcycles!  Hit the nail right on the head.  From the pictures it came off a '74 or prior XL1000.  So now it's just a matter of getting the money and finding the cap i want.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #27 - 01/03/13 at 19:50:34

I've had over 100 bikes and worked in a lot of shops since 1987... and I'm a died in the wool SAE guy at heart. Harley, Indian, Henderson, Excelsior... I've even messed with a couple old (really old Pierces).

I like my Savage, but it definitely reminds me why I gave up on British bikes years ago. How Suzuki could make a worse electrical system than Lucas is still beyond me...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #28 - 01/03/13 at 20:19:12

WD wrote on 01/03/13 at 19:50:34:
I've had over 100 bikes and worked in a lot of shops since 1987... and I'm a died in the wool SAE guy at heart. Harley, Indian, Henderson, Excelsior... I've even messed with a couple old (really old Pierces).

I like my Savage, but it definitely reminds me why I gave up on British bikes years ago. How Suzuki could make a worse electrical system than Lucas is still beyond me...

WD I used to mess with Beezers,Trunpets and Nortons and maybe old age is starting to show but I don't think the Savage electrics are anywhere near as bad as those dang Lucifer wiring on the Brits!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #29 - 01/03/13 at 22:04:08

Mine is haunted, has been since day one. Sometimes both headlight circuits work, sometimes one or neither. Tail light quits working for no reason. Switch box guts fell apart. Battery is under or over charging at random. De-comp relay got full of water and shorted out... Both fuses will pop at random, no warning, no smoke, just pop...

And just like my last two "Viles" (T120 Bonnevilles), you're going along fine and the clutch cable breaks, without being touched... Huh

I've given it away twice and it has found its way home, so...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:38:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Am I missing something?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.