Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Am I missing something? (Read 531 times)
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Am I missing something?
12/20/12 at 08:24:39

I did a search and looked for it in the tech section but can't seem to find a thread on this issue anywhere.  I filled up my bike this morning and when I got to work the tank was leaking from the bottom by the seat.  It is a 2002 with 225xx on the clock...modified but nothing done to the tank.  It was -40 degrees this morning and I'm wondering if I'm just missing some kind of overflow or if I'm not going to have any gas when I get back to the shop.  Am I just blind or??? Huh

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f*%# with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
  IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Re: Am I missing something?
Reply #1 - 12/20/12 at 08:25:42

Let me fix that...it was under 40 degrees...not 40 below...sorry.

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f*%# with me, I'll kill you all.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 12/20/12 at 08:28:59

There are only two factory issued openings in the tank - the filler neck where the cap is and the opening at the bottom where the petcock is attached.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #3 - 12/20/12 at 08:31:26

Dang I was hoping you wouldn't say that and I was just missing an overflow... Angry

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 12/20/12 at 08:32:41

If the leak isn't from the gasket between the petcock and the tank, or from the hose between the petcock and the carb, I'm thinkin' you've got a hole in your tank. Or the gas cap isn't on tight.

IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #5 - 12/20/12 at 08:58:21

There was definitely not any gas on the top of the tank...I'll check the hose at the carb...didn't even think of that.  If it was leaking there it would cause it to blow up onto the bottom of the tank right?  I noticed it when I got off the bike but didn't have a whole lot of time to check it out to thoroughly...just enough to see that it was dripping off the bottom of the tank.  Sometimes jobs suck  Wink but we got to have them to live so...I'll give it a look when I get back to the shop this afternoon and let y'all know what I find.  Hopefully it's nothing to serious.

IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #6 - 12/20/12 at 21:13:27

Ok...got home and have just now stopped working on the bike...hopefully I got it fixed.  Ended up taking the tank off and found that the whole mount at the rear of the tank had started to crack and was actually pulling holes in the tank where the spot welds were.  So I threw some JB weld on it to hold it in place (and thought I covered the hole).  Let that set then checked to make sure I got rid of the leak...which I hadn't.  So I covered it some more with JB weld and let that set.  Still leaking so I had to put some perma-seal liquid gasket (I was out of JB weld at this point) on it and I'm going to try to get some sleep and check it again in the morning.  I was kicking around the idea of putting a different tank on the bike anyways so I guess here's my answer.  The guy I bought my bars from has a 883 Sportster tank that I'm trying to see if he'll sell me on the cheap...then I guess I get to tackle fabing up some mounts for that this weekend.  Then will have to find an auxiliary speedo also, might run without one for awhile since they're not required here in SC.  Guess it wouldn't be a bike if there wasn't always something new that "has" to be changed or "has" to be worked on...at least that's what I tell the wife.   Wink Tongue

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 12/20/12 at 21:37:51

So, that's why, they rubber mount the tank... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 12/20/12 at 22:52:07

NAPA used to sell a two part Play-Doh type epoxy for car gas tanks that went on the outside after thorough kneading to mix them. The main thing is getting the surface clean...without making sparks, of course. Be sure your rubber grommets are all there and installed correctly. Flexing is not good for sealing.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/21/12 at 06:15:13

Gas will eventually dissolve JB weld.
At least it did on a fuel rail for a car I had once. Vibration might've played a factor.

--Steve

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 12/21/12 at 06:17:14

I don't think JB Weld or any other stick on stuff is going to work for very long even if you get it sealed for now. My suggestion is to drain the tank , flush it with water and then take it to a radiator repair shop and let them fix the crack. Those guys are pretty good a sealing cracks in stuff like this. I've had auto gas tanks repaired by radiator shops a few times.

Then make sure when you reinstall the tank on your bike you have all the rubber cushions that Suzuki put on there when it was new.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #11 - 12/21/12 at 07:32:07

Those rad shop guys can do wonders. My Land Cruiser developed a pin hole leak on the side of the tank. Without taking the tank off or draining it, they soldered a penny over the hole.
They charged me $10.01. Grin

$10.01...  Grin Grin Grin... - Serow...

« Last Edit: 12/21/12 at 10:25:11 by Serowbot »  

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 12/21/12 at 08:22:09

I really don't think your tank is worth fussing with too much - unless it has some special paint job you are trying to keep.  Replacement tanks are pretty cheap on eBay.

The hard part about trying to fix this tank is that the cracks and leaks could be located behind the welded on mount - and you can't access those areas without first cutting the mount off so you can get behind it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 12/21/12 at 09:27:39

Any good old fashioned full service radiator shop can fix it. Had a tank repaired in 99, they soldered any cracks and pinholes and then lined the tank with a bake in alcohol proof liner. All I had to do was repaint the tank. Cost was around $35 then. Well worth it for that antique bike tank, but if the costs are comparable just pick up a tank from the internet and swap it out.

Sportster tanks came in 4 lengths, some can be made to work, some can't. King Sportster tanks are way too long. Demin should be able to tell you what era is the easiest to adapt if you want to go with that kind of tank. He's done a few of them.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #14 - 12/22/12 at 18:39:27

Thanks for all the advice guys!  That's why I joined the site.  On a side note (kind of).  I was talking to a buddy of mine who I occasionally ride with, he has a '74 Honda CB 750 (sweet looking ride, all original).  I was telling him about my problems with my tank and mentioned the idea of putting a Sportster tank on in replacement.  He got all offensive and said he'd rather put pedals on my bike than put a Sportster tank on it, amongst other things.  It got me wondering...why the disdain between HD riders and non-HD riders?  We all ride for the same reasons right?  So why on this green earth does putting a Sportster tank on my bike make it such a bad bike???  Just a wee bit confused.  I mean he went to the point of saying he wouldn't ride with me anymore...it's all water under the bridge for me because I'll ride everyday whether he wants to ride with me or not I'm just boggled right now...a bike is a bike.  Huh

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:21:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Am I missing something?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.