Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spark Plug Relacement (Read 171 times)
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Spark Plug Relacement
12/19/12 at 22:46:02

Is there a link with pictures and directions on how to change the spark plug?  I've been trying to find it with no success.  I'm not good with this forum surfing stuff.

If I could get some advice as how to find these topics, that would be of great help too.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Re: Spark Plug Relacement
Reply #1 - 12/20/12 at 00:13:33

Can you reach the plug? No? What's in the way? Remove it. Still can't reach it? What else is in the way? Remove that also. Something still in the way? Well I think you know what I'm going to say next.

If you need to get outside of your house and the door is in your way, do you get on the internet and ask how to get out of your house or do you just go open the door? It's really that simple.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 12/20/12 at 05:10:26

You need to buy a Clymers Manual.  It has pictures and step by step directions.  If you don't have basic skills and tools - we are not going to be able to help you much on this forum.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 12/20/12 at 06:37:51

Quickest way... Pull plug wire off the spark plug, pull the rear bolt out of the left side (as you sit on the bike) chrome trim on the top of the engine. Gently lift up that corner of the cover and swing it outwards. Some bikes it will move, some it won't without loosening the front cover bolt. If it will swing, use the spark plug socket and correct wrench that came with the bike to remove the old plug. If it doesn't swing, loosen the front bolt, 10mm socket on short 1/4" driver on the bolt head, needle nose pliers to hold the lower nut.

Install new plug and reverse the above steps.

Factory method? Remove seat and gas tank. Pull wire off spark plug and change the plug. What they don't tell you is some bikes need to have the fuel drained and the petcock (gas valve) removed before the tank will come off... Angry

If you haven't done this before have a couple band-aids handy... The backside of the chrome cover can be razor edged.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 01/01/13 at 19:13:51

A different short cut:

You can pull the seat (very easy to do, just remove 2 bolts), then remove the two bolts from the fuel tank's rear bracket.  Remove the line(s) from the petcock, then move tank rearward a bit then up a bit.

From there, prop the rear of the fuel tank up with a short section of 4" x 4" (laid on its side).  You should have enough access now to remove the port chrome cover from the top of the engine and then get to the plug.

Using this method, you don't have to disconnect the speedometer cable or the electrical cable from the fuel tank.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 01/02/13 at 04:38:33

When you finally loosen the plug,.. turn it about three turns, then blast the area down there around the newly bared threads with compressed air.  A compressed-gas can (Walmart computer/electronics area has them, $4 maybe) with a skinny plastic straw used for household or computer air-blasting will do if you don't have a compressor.

The idea is to get any chunks of dirt or sand or dust or paint other crap out of the area so it does not fall through the spark plug hole.

What is your feeling about using anti-seize on the threads before reinstalling the plug?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #6 - 01/02/13 at 09:02:14

Gyrobob wrote on 01/02/13 at 04:38:33:

What is your feeling about using anti-seize on the threads before reinstalling the plug?

I've been doing this for 30 some years on everything I own, just be sparing

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 01/02/13 at 18:45:38

v-pilot wrote on 01/02/13 at 09:02:14:
Gyrobob wrote on 01/02/13 at 04:38:33:

I've been doing this for 30 some years on everything I own, just be sparing

I agree....and I know what happens if you put too much on....

The plug can short.....DAMHIK (on a lonely road near Big Bend in 110 degree F temperatures)!   Embarrassed

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 09:22:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spark Plug Relacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.