Send Topic Print
C25 chroming bolt (Read 111 times)
svenofthejungle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

C25 chroming bolt
12/19/12 at 18:36:56

Okay, so I've been nursing my sick Savage back to health, and in the process of tightening and Loctite-ing the cylinder head bolts, I wound up snapping off the last few millimeters of the C25 chroming bolt (and bending the rest of it to the point of uselessness). D'oh!

After much cursing, I consulted my parts list to order a replacement, but wouldn't you know --- I couldn't find a parts number for the cussed thing! I figure this isn't something I can just run down to Home Depot and find a replacement for, hence my question: does anyone have a parts number for this bolt?

I'm referring to the head pattern diagram (http://suzukisavage.com/images/uploaded/HeadPattern01web.jpg), bolt C25 (right side rear, second in from L130).

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: C25 chroming bolt
Reply #1 - 12/21/12 at 05:33:53

The number on the diagram you are talking about http://suzukisavage.com/images/uploaded/HeadPattern01web.jpg is the length of the bolt.  You can buy them at those longer lengths from most internet bolt suppliers a lot cheaper than from Suzuki.  

We generally replace them with the much stronger stainless allen headed bolt kits (see Ebay for availability).   The stock Japanese head cap bolts are soft crap, not to be reused if you can avoid it as the head cap comes on and off several times over the life of the bike as you deal with head plug and cam chain issues.

Next - your torque requirement for those locations is 100-120 inch pounds (8-10 foot pounds).    You are exceeding this by a good margin for you to twist those bolts off.   A small inch pound torque wrench is needed to properly install the bolts in the proper criss-cross pattern.

Who told you to put loctite on those head cap bolts?
 You just bought a world of trouble as when they break off down inside the head on next removal they will be a bloody mess to get out.  

The long skinny bolts simply are not strong enough to support the force required to break the Locktite free on the next removal, especially if you overtorqued them to 85% of the breaking point on the install and put Locktite on them on top of that.

Neversieze I could understand (eases the next removal and keeps corrosion lock up at bay) but Loctite on the head cap bolts, never.    They are not vibration loosening up type items in our past list experience, but they do have a long history of breaking off down deep in the holes and being a pain in the butt to drill out of the head.  

Machine shops get them some work from those long skinny soft bolts, they do

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
svenofthejungle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: C25 chroming bolt
Reply #2 - 12/21/12 at 07:46:42

Aww shucks, so that's what I was doing wrong! I know better now not to Loctite those suckers. Won't make that mistake twice. Luckily I only managed to Loctite one other bolt before I had my mishap with C25, so my penance will be an hour's work in removing the head cover and a lot of praying that I didn't screw up the threads.

Thank you, Oldfeller!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 06:27:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › C25 chroming bolt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.