Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
98 Savage-Short repair/build-Wrenchin and Question (Read 460 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: 98 Savage - Short repair/build - 3-up Savage?!
Reply #15 - 01/09/13 at 13:49:12

SavageCat wrote on 01/07/13 at 08:20:38:
Literally just noticed his name is SerowBot....have read it as ScrewBot for almost a year now...reading PWNS me.

Thanks for the compliments folks!!

have read it as ScrewBot for almost a year

Seriously? Thats hilarious!

FWIW, Im not okay with the proposed name change,,
I think everyone knows that bot is short for robot..
Its just not nice,, &, if he changes it, I cant call him Rowboat any more.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 01/09/13 at 14:19:46

He can change it to Scrwbt  then you can go either way.   Grin

just tryin' to be helpful.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageCat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central VA
Reply #17 - 02/07/13 at 14:44:45

Did some more wrenching...Slavy installed = happy bike. Replaced the clutch cover gasket as well and cleaned stuff up down there.

Replacing the spark plug too...prolly ok, but hey why not...

Also, have a question. When I run a bead of gasket maker over the valve/head cover I have heard two ideas..

1) Install and torque the cover down right after you place it...waiting 15-20 minutes after each max torque reading until they're all good (basically what the DIY says).

OR

2) Set the cover down, torque the bolts down to about half torque, then wait 12-24 hours, and then torque all the way. The logic being that you let the gasket maker set for a little bit, and then when you do the final torque you are compressing the gasket instead of squishing the gasket maker out...

Thoughts?

Getting there...Next = new battery (mini AGM), fix exhaust leak at muffler to header join, wrap header with black wrap Smiley

Then on to the ToesNoes tach and speedo....that set-up is ballin!!!

« Last Edit: 08/16/16 at 09:52:30 by SavageCat »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 02/08/13 at 09:11:07

SavageCat wrote on 02/07/13 at 14:44:45:
Also, have a question. When I run a bead of gasket maker over the valve/head cover I have heard two ideas..

1) Install and torque the cover down right after you place it...waiting 15-20 minutes after each max torque reading until they're all good (basically what the DIY says).

OR

2) Set the cover down, torque the bolts down to about half torque, then wait 12-24 hours, and then torque all the way. The logic being that you let the gasket maker set for a little bit, and then when you do the final torque you are compressing the gasket instead of squishing the gasket maker out...

Generally, I wait overnite for the 1st setup at half or less torque.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageCat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central VA
Re: 98 Savage-Short repair/build-Wrenchin and Ques
Reply #19 - 02/09/13 at 10:42:52

Any advice on putting the cylinder head cover back on without smearing the gasket maker? If have done a few practice runs without any sealant and it's crazy close. Inevitably I nick something and I assume that would be bad...thoughts?

Also, do I need to put sealant on both surfaces or just one? If one, does it matter which?

And I assume that wherever it's shiny (i.e. where the cover and cylinder head match, there needs to be sealant? Sorry for so many questions, just trying to avoid doing it again because of a bad seal.

Thanks!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 02/09/13 at 10:54:54

i put it on the cover side... cause it's easier to apply.
but you're less likely to scrape it on the head side.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageCat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central VA
Reply #21 - 02/09/13 at 11:11:39

verslagen1 wrote on 02/09/13 at 10:54:54:
i put it on the cover side... cause it's easier to apply.
but you're less likely to scrape it on the head side.

But either way you just put it on one side right?

Thanks for the speedy reply!!!

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #22 - 02/09/13 at 18:10:24

SavageCat wrote on 02/07/13 at 14:44:45:
....Also, have a question. When I run a bead of gasket maker over the valve/head cover I have heard two ideas..

OR

2) Set the cover down, torque the bolts down to about half torque, then wait 12-24 hours, and then torque all the way. The logic being that you let the gasket maker set for a little bit, and then when you do the final torque you are compressing the gasket instead of squishing the gasket maker out....

I believe that the method used is sealant-dependent.  I'd read the directions for the sealant and go by that.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
SavageCat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central VA
Reply #23 - 08/16/16 at 10:10:20

Hey gang….final update on the Savage…#holyOPthreadrevival…I sold my Savage about a week ago, it was bitter sweet since she was my first bike, and I put a fair bit of sweat equity into her, but I was ready to move on to something different, and the kid I sold it to was just as excited to get it as I was when I first got it…(when it looked like this)

First, funny story, the bike had been stubborn to start for like a year...and I was too lazy to take apart the carb and mess with it...especially since once it was started it ran like a champ. Then one day I was riding and gas started pouring out of my vent tube from the valve cover...not good...so I shut off the bike and got a buddy to tow it home for me…gas in the oil…also not good…drained and refilled oil…drove around the block (started and ran just fine)…then drained and changed again. After that I decided I would actually listen to folks and actually turn my fuel off when I wasn’t riding it…low and behold the Savage’s starting problem literally disappeared!! Apparently fuel was leaking down and flooding the engine…making it hard to start…(insert forehead smash on wall)….moral of the story…shut off your fuel.

Just thought I would share with you all the final look and progress of my Savage....replaced the chain tensioner, replaced the head plug, updated turn signals, replaced petcock with the Raptor and the custom battery box are all the notables...generally cleaned up the bike as well.

More pics here: http://s278.photobucket.com/user/hlhhmc/library/1998%20Suzuki%20Savage

Good News! I stayed in the Suzi family…I picked up a SV650S for bascicaly what I sold my Savage for and have been quite happy with the new moto…I suspect that somewhere down the road I will acquire another Savage…but for now…it’s the SV for me.

I can’t say thank you enough to all of you guys for helping me…literally made having the bike that much more fun…so much good info here there that saved me thousands of dollars and tons of time….keep it up!!

Savage_Cat

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:34:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 98 Savage-Short repair/build-Wrenchin and Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.