Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A quick question for all:  Standard VS Cruiser (Read 406 times)
adj_jaker
YaBB Newbies

"Another Dumb
Joke"

Lewisburg, Pa
A quick question for all:  Standard VS Cruiser
12/17/12 at 08:34:46

Don't get me wrong I love my S40, but this last summer I moved up to NY and sometimes travel back to PA on the weekends.  I would love to leave my bike up here, ride to work, but also ride it back home (2 hours) if i want, or even just go on longer trips in general.  

It doesn't help that I broke my tail bone and can't sit still for a longer time, but i was wondering if any of you have or have ridden a standard motorcycle compared to the S40 in the long run?  Would it be more comfortable or about the same?  It's about time to upgrade soon and just looking at my options.  If I was looking for a standard, I would probably be looking at the Versys, NX700, or Gladius.

Any input is appreciated.  Thanks!  Smiley

I like to keep things simple..

2009 Stock_White/Silver.
ckyjacobcky   IP Logged
lacon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Knoxville, TN
Re: A quick question for all:  Standard VS Cruiser
Reply #1 - 12/17/12 at 08:42:11

I've always found the standard the most comfortable.  If I could only have one bike, it would have to be a standard.
Ever seen a dirt bike with forward foot pegs?  There's a reason.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 12/17/12 at 08:53:35

lacon wrote on 12/17/12 at 08:42:11:
I've always found the standard the most comfortable.  If I could only have one bike, it would have to be a standard.
Ever seen a dirt bike with forward foot pegs?  There's a reason.

Ditto.  The sit-up-and-beg postion common to many cruisers may make the rider think others think he looks cool, but for grinding out the miles, a standard position (hands at moderate height and feet underneath or slightly forward of the body) is the most comfortable.  That position must be adjusted based on whether or not there is a fairing or windshield, but, in any event, ape hangars and extended legs get pretty fatiguing pretty quickly.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 12/17/12 at 09:00:33

Probably you should figure out a way to take an extended ride on a so called "standard" and decide for yourself.

To answer your question though - a bike with fairly wide flar bars and the pegs and foot controls located under my butt rather than pushed out forward like on the S40, is more comfortable for me on long rides. I think that the crusier riding position also detracts from the ability to control the bike somewhat - makes it harder to shift ones weight around.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 12/17/12 at 09:07:47

Quote:
fairly wide flar bars

I meant "flat" bars. Sorry.

By the way, I vote for the Honda.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 12/17/12 at 09:51:18

oldNslow wrote on 12/17/12 at 09:00:33:
Probably you should figure out a way to take an extended ride on a so called "standard" and decide for yourself.

To answer your question though - a bike with fairly wide flar bars and the pegs and foot controls located under my butt rather than pushed out forward like on the S40, is more comfortable for me on long rides. I think that the crusier riding position also detracts from the ability to control the bike somewhat - makes it harder to shift ones weight around.

why is a standard "so called" ??

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 12/17/12 at 09:55:10

The footpeg position of the savage certainly limits your ability to get some weight off your posterior other than for a second or two.

If there was a standard with belt drive, I'd might consider it.  Otherwise I'd need a chain brush wash oiler system as I'd be cleaning that thing far too often.

the RYCA rearsets maybe a option for you and I've thought of adding a set of mini floorboards at that same location.

WWW   IP Logged
jvdb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/17/12 at 10:21:01

oldNslow wrote on 12/17/12 at 09:00:33:
To answer your question though - a bike with fairly wide flar bars and the pegs and foot controls located under my butt rather than pushed out forward like on the S40, is more comfortable for me on long rides.

I ride a Honda 599 (standard), and I would say the opposite is true for me. I have limited seat time in the S40, other than a 3 hour ride home the day I bought it. I think the forward controls are better for long rides, in fact extending them forward a bit and a better seat would make it great.

Quote:
I think that the crusier riding position also detracts from the ability to control the bike somewhat - makes it harder to shift ones weight around.

Nail on the head here, but their is a tradeoff. Taller seat height and higher center of gravity make them more difficult to learn on. Especially in low-speed maneuvers or for people with short legs.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 12/17/12 at 10:49:10

verslagen1 wrote on 12/17/12 at 09:55:10:
The footpeg position of the savage certainly limits your ability to get some weight off your posterior other than for a second or two.

If there was a standard with belt drive, I'd might consider it.  Otherwise I'd need a chain brush wash oiler system as I'd be cleaning that thing far too often.

the RYCA rearsets maybe a option for you and I've thought of adding a set of mini floorboards at that same location.

How about this?  

http://www.rycamotors.com/bikes/CS2/about/index.html

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 12/17/12 at 10:57:31

Gyrobob asked

Quote:
why is a standard "so called" ??

To me if it's got two wheels and a motor it's just a motorcycle. Standard,Cruiser,Sportbike etc. describe certain chractreristics that make one bike different from another. That's all.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 12/17/12 at 12:10:10

Google AIRHAWK Seat and see if one of those might help

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #11 - 12/17/12 at 12:35:10

The others may be correct about the foot peg position and lifting yourself up every now and then, but I can't ride a 'standard' any more. The feet directly under to slightly rearward coupled with the angle of my body above the waist and the kinda sorta leaning on my hands really hurts my back. I will always ride a cruiser style. You need to rent one and see what you think.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 12/17/12 at 18:11:27

I like a standard position better and can ride longer with reasonable comfort.  Some of the new standards seem to have the foot pegs a little high, or maybe it is just my age and inflexible knees and hips.

I know a guy who took in a sport bike to help a friend.  He had problems with his tail bone and really liked the sport bike because as he leaned forward on it to grasp the low bars he said it took all the pressure off his tail bone.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #13 - 12/17/12 at 18:28:53

My arthritis gave me trouble with the standard S40 foot position. I installed Routy's forward controls and now I am very comfortable, at least until I go over a big bump and can't get my bum off the seat. Wink
How many of you ride horses? A similar debate occurs with riding English or western saddles.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #14 - 12/17/12 at 18:38:14

They don't call 'em cruiser for nothin'. Here's the 03 Suzuki Valusia 800. VERY comfortable.

012_001.JPG

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:29:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › A quick question for all:  Standard VS Cruiser

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!