Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A quick question for all:  Standard VS Cruiser (Read 406 times)
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Re: A quick question for all:  Standard VS Cruiser
Reply #15 - 12/17/12 at 19:12:07

I have ridden a LOT of different bikes over the years...  First, the OP posted as standard some things I consider mild sport bikes.  The riding position is leaned forward.  To me, a standard is a 1984 Nighthawk 700SC or a 70's era CB 750K.  It is a vertical seating position, foot pegs under or a little forward of the seat, and handlebars at about nipple height.  This is good for long trips.  But...

I need to give ranges.  I have ridden 100 miles + in a setting on, an R1, a Super Hawk, the Hondas mentioned above, a few Marauders, a Boulevard M50, and a few Harleys.  Nothing eats the miles more comfortably than a Road King.  It is like driving a couch!  But my Marauder is still very nice.  As for the pegs, occasionally, I place my feet on the passenger pegs.  Highway bars also help.  Essentially just moving your feet make a difference.  I can not ride Aida's Savage for more than about 45 minutes without feeling uncomfortable.  (She, on the other hand, can ride it about an hour and a half.)

But forward position is hard.  Road an R1 in a group ride at Lone Star Rally this year (With Jax) and it almost killed me!  My back and knees can't take that anymore!  Shocked

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #16 - 12/17/12 at 19:30:47

Everyone's butt is different.  Back in '05 or so I wanted to see if I could do a fairly long ride.  Took a 350 mile ride from 9pm to 6am to putt under the full moon thru the Joshua Tree Nat.Park.  Surprise!  Was not tired, not sore, but the wind back on I-10 was brutal with a 30-40 mph headwind.  A yearish later the same, with a Street Shield, much better.  Knowing I can do longer trips I went from L.A. to OKC, 540 miles the first day, 510 miles the second.  That told me that I needed something better than the stock seat and pegs -- my feet hurt more than my butt.  350 miles a day back home on US60 was comfortable.

But that is me, not you.  You have to find a bike that fits you.

I like the position of the Savage, the feet not under you, but not the far forward position of many cruisers.  Close to a standard.  Most bikes now called "standard" are leaning forward like a full sport bike.  I was checking for a newer bike and was looking hard at the Moto Guzzi C7 -- a real old-school standard.  Check out one.

WWW   IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #17 - 12/17/12 at 20:51:27

You asked about a bike with a more universal riding position for your tail bone.  I've ridden the Versys...nice but a bit on the buzzy side at high r's(paralell twin) I've also riden the SV1000 which is the big brother to the Gladius...much more sport oriented(I loved that bike, V-twin) The pegs are a bit higher than I like.  I don't know about the Honda.  I broke 3 vertebrae in my back and sport touring is the only position I can comfortably ride...spine orientation to road/suspension for road bumps.  All of my bikes have Corbin seats which helps.  Universal and ST positions allow for a bit of movement in the saddle to relieve pressure points.  It's also a more active riding position.  I can ride my Guzzi Le Mans out of gas without pain...6.5 gal at 50mpg.  You can do the math.  I'd say, take them for a test ride...you din't want anything you can't ride.

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #18 - 12/17/12 at 21:03:41

A two hour ride would be nothing on the savage. There are lots of things you can do to the seat. Also if it is two hours of super slab. you can change your seating position. You can hook your heals on the rear pegs or if your legs are long enough you can even slide back on the seat.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #19 - 12/18/12 at 00:21:54

I too have Ridden a lot of different Bikes ... Cruiser, Sport and Standard ... a Standard (i.e. TU250X, Bonneville, CB500F, etc.) has relatively neutral ergonomics compared to Cruisers & Sports and is what I personally find the most comfortable.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #20 - 12/18/12 at 02:53:00

lacon wrote on 12/17/12 at 08:42:11:
Ever seen a dirt bike with forward foot pegs?  There's a reason.

Yeah, the reason is control - not comfort. Not exactly sure what you though it was for.

A standard riding position will get very uncomfortable if you try to ride it like a cruiser. Trying to cruise without moving your body will start to hurt your wrists and your back. Ever notice if you stand in one position your ankles start to hurt? Well the weight of your upper body leaning on your handle bars is going to do the same thing. At least with a full-on sport bike you can lean your torso on the tank but you can't really do that on a standard. Buy a standard if you like to ride really hard - butt off the seat hard.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #21 - 12/20/12 at 01:03:00

When I look up "cruiser" I find a number of definitions, all which apply (including old ironside battleships!  Cheesy) and none of which apply.

To you folks, "cruiser" means a motorcycle meant for long distance riding... right?
Wrong?
"Cruising" apparently meaning "wafting up and down the main town boulevard" as one would do on Saturday nights in a hot muscle car...

While it is true that a Harley Road King appears to be made for long distance cruising, it is just as true nobody in his right mind would ever consider riding any cruiser off a hard-surfaced road, and possibly a wide mountain road or a 4 / 6 laner at that.

On the other hand, which are the real world-class cruisers?

Look at the old school:

BMW R75/7

Moto Guzzi V7 and 750T

(incidentally, this bike was sold to the CHiP with a guaranteed cruising speed of 140Km/h = 88mph, which in those days only BMW could match)

Triumph Tiger

I am purposefully leaving out the Japanese bikes here, and to a good reason: I am only looking at bikes manufactured in the 1960s, when long range cruising meant riding 8-12 hours on a European 2-laner...
That was serious business, no time for sissy stuff like a radio or a can/cup holder or heated grips...

You will notice the handlebars are positioned low, more or less at navel height, not nipple as one suggested (which would be much too high for extended riding)
You will also notice how the footpegs are positioned more or less in a vertical line under the hipbone, or slightly forward to it, so that one may rise on his feet and "surf" over potholes and similar obstacles.

Regardless of his claims, this guy will ride only a few hours a day...

This guy, on the other hand, will go a long way.

Quite frankly, highway bars are not considered at all by European riders, they lace much too much weight on one's tailbone and even the slightest ripples will impact on it and hurt.
The same for high handlebars, they should allow the elbow to be at the same height, or possibly a little higher than the wrist.

We walk with our hand down, not up in the air... Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #22 - 12/20/12 at 02:51:31

Try to stand up on your bike in riding position. Do you fall backward and pull on your bars to brace yourself? Cruiser. Pretty much stand straight up just using your bars to keep your balance? Standard. Fall forward leaning heavily on your bars? Sport.

A standard is definitely my favorite position because it's so easy to get your weight off the bars or the saddle and move it around if you need to dodge something or go over a rough patch. Sportbike you're on the bars all the time, cruiser you're stuck on the saddle.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #23 - 12/20/12 at 08:30:40

that pretty much sums it up IMHO Cavi ... well said! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 12/20/12 at 09:23:40

Cavi Mike wrote on 12/20/12 at 02:51:31:
Try to stand up on your bike in riding position. Do you fall backward and pull on your bars to brace yourself? Cruiser. Pretty much stand straight up just using your bars to keep your balance? Standard. Fall forward leaning heavily on your bars? Sport.

A standard is definitely my favorite position because it's so easy to get your weight off the bars or the saddle and move it around if you need to dodge something or go over a rough patch. Sportbike you're on the bars all the time, cruiser you're stuck on the saddle.

You left one out.......have to ride the whole darn time standing up....Trials!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #25 - 12/20/12 at 11:21:58

mpescatori wrote on 12/20/12 at 01:03:00:
I am purposefully leaving out the Japanese bikes here, and to a good reason: I am only looking at bikes manufactured in the 1960s, when long range cruising meant riding 8-12 hours on a European 2-laner...
That was serious business, no time for sissy stuff like a radio or a can/cup holder or heated grips...

I would say the Honda CB models would fit this requirement.  The CB450 started in 65.  Eventually it's engine ended up in the Honda N360/N600 which became the Civic.  The CB750 also started in 69, so still fits, and those are still running.
mpescatori wrote on 12/20/12 at 01:03:00:
You will notice the handlebars are positioned low, more or less at navel height, not nipple as one suggested (which would be much too high for extended riding)
You will also notice how the footpegs are positioned more or less in a vertical line under the hipbone, or slightly forward to it, so that one may rise on his feet and "surf" over potholes and similar obstacles.

I said Nipple...  And Actually, you are correct, somewhat.  Somewhere between navel and nipple, with a neutral arm position.
As to the highway bars, they are not for full time riding, but to adjust position.  The key is moving around.  Floorboards are also good for that, and I notice the example cruiser had forward floorboards...

IP Logged
HoustonBussa
YaBB Newbies

If it ain't fun I
ain't doing it
-SYCKK Life

SW Houston
Reply #26 - 01/11/13 at 05:01:32

Wow.. Ready for the group upset.

I grew up on cruisers and standards.  I've done a 14 hour on a very old standard, so maybe not the best example, but so far the bike I've enjoyed the most on any long ride is my Hayabusa.  My feet directly under me did kill me, but I modded my foot pegs to took the pressure off my knees.  That added with the proper seating position, a short 8 hour ride was nothing.

All that to say, like it's been said, one, a lot will be personal preference, but a couple of things DO make a difference.  Just like cars.. A larger, smoother motor help with road fatigue as well as a heavier bike will absorb the bums better. Also make sure your forks and struts are set up for you as a rider (most shops will do this for you, with you sitting on the bike. Some even for free).. Also a wider seat. All of which why I can ride on the Hayabusa much further than I could on any other sports bike.

just my two bits.. hope it helps.

WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #27 - 01/11/13 at 12:32:38

HoustonBussa wrote on 01/11/13 at 05:01:32:
so far the bike I've enjoyed the most on any long ride is my Hayabusa.  My feet directly under me did kill me, but I modded my foot pegs to took the pressure off my knees.  That added with the proper seating position, a short 8 hour ride was nothing.

I already know why this was "nothing" to you - it's because you were resting your torso on the tank the entire time. If you were actually holding your body up with your arms like you're supposed to on a sportbike, the pain in your legs wouldn't touch the pain in your wrists, back and shoulders.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 01/11/13 at 13:49:57

I had a Guzzi 750, Basically "Standard" position, but the pegs were high up the side of the bike, legs were way too cramped up & there was tons of room to have done it better.

LIke was said earlier. If you cant stand up w/o doing a pullup on the bars, thats a cruiser position. If the seat is such that you can sit straight up & lay hands on the bars & be ready to ride, thats a standard position, BUT, thats just 1/2 of it. Yea, all fine & dandy the pegs are Under your butt & you can stand up & get your butt off the seat for a speed bump, but thats no guarantee of comfort. The Guzzi Nevada was a miserable thing to ride, at least as far as my legs were concerned,I rode it, but Ive got a Kawasaki W-650 thats WAY better..
If someone told me theyd buy me any bike I wanted, thats what Id get.
Newer, prettier, but a W-650, fer sure,,

Unless someone can show me a bike in that size/weight/power range that has a belt drive, sits like that thing does, has a center stand that I can get down, has no cam chain & delivers 60 MPG or better...then Id hafta look at that.,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HoustonBussa
YaBB Newbies

If it ain't fun I
ain't doing it
-SYCKK Life

SW Houston
Reply #29 - 01/14/13 at 19:41:05

Cavi Mike wrote on 01/11/13 at 12:32:38:
HoustonBussa wrote on 01/11/13 at 05:01:32:
so far the bike I've enjoyed the most on any long ride is my Hayabusa.  My feet directly under me did kill me, but I modded my foot pegs to took the pressure off my knees.  That added with the proper seating position, a short 8 hour ride was nothing.

I already know why this was "nothing" to you - it's because you were resting your torso on the tank the entire time. If you were actually holding your body up with your arms like you're supposed to on a sportbike, the pain in your legs wouldn't touch the pain in your wrists, back and shoulders.

Well why my knees bothered me was because I have a blown knee.. BUT if you ride with your back erect, knees hugging the tank, there should be no weight on your wrist. If you have pain in your back, shoulders and wrist while on a sports bike, more especially the Hayabusa, you're not riding correctly. And why less on the Hayabusa, it has a much less aggressive seating position than most other sports bikes.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:19:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › A quick question for all:  Standard VS Cruiser

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.