Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Doesnt this fender only work on rigids? (Read 282 times)
Jahoo

Annapolis,MD
Doesnt this fender only work on rigids?
12/15/12 at 12:06:50

So i'm using a trailer fender to replace my existing fender to giveit a more bobber look, I'm going to be putting reinforcement straps like the fender  here http://bluecollarbobbers.com/web/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=.... Wount these reinforcemnt straps cause my back tire to rub on the fender or am i missing something? Thanks for any input.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Doesnt this fender only work on rigids?
Reply #1 - 12/15/12 at 12:48:55

Jahoo wrote on 12/15/12 at 12:06:50:
So i'm using a trailer fender to replace my existing fender to giveit a more bobber look, I'm going to be putting reinforcement straps like the fender... cause my back tire to rub on the fender or am i missing something? Thanks for any input.

Missing that the fender is mounted to the swingarm.  Like the front fender hugs the tire.

Also, adjusted your avatar, sharper, read better:

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 12/15/12 at 12:57:49

Right,.. fender moves with tire,... all fender attachment is to swingarm instead of frame...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 12/15/12 at 15:13:51

Two L brackets, 2 pieces of flat stock and some self-drilling screws. Costs about $10 to make a floating fender... well, and a bit of time to get the material bent properly. You can do the same thing with a 2up seat and a full fender, just need some bar stock welded to the frame as seat reinforcement. Think Kawasaki Drifter 1500 or HD "Rocker" swingarms and fender tabs...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Jahoo

Annapolis,MD
Reply #4 - 12/15/12 at 15:23:28

Thanks for the avatar adjustment. I'll start looking up floating fender tutorials. Thanks guys. But I guess my idea of a p-pad or sissy bar would be probably a little dicey? To much bouncing around?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 12/15/12 at 15:35:06

Use a solid rear fender hoop made out of 3/16" x 1" flat stock. Or make the fender hoop and sissy bar as a unit, plenty strong.

Look at Paughco and V-twin Manufacturing's websites. They've done all the engineering (decades ago), you just rescale the design as needed. J&P Cycles website has them as well, look in the Vintage Catalog. Also look up Jammer's Handbook...

It isn't as hard as you fear or as easy as you hope. I've been building custom bikes for 25 years and change. Take your time, eyeball it several times. If you get in a bind, there is always somebody on site to give you a hand.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Jahoo

Annapolis,MD
Reply #6 - 12/15/12 at 16:00:01

I was hoping to go the trailer fender route, I bought one that is the right size for the savage and am making this my first metal fabrication project.

IP Logged
Bubba1

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/16/12 at 14:07:16

I am about to take on same project ! Let m know how u make out  or if I get to it first I will let u know , I didn't see your bike do u have shocks or struts? Also I assume you r from Bmore me too ! darn Ravens. Stunk it up today

IP Logged
Bubba1

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 12/16/12 at 14:14:43

If you drill holes in the trailer fender where the stock bolt holes are in the frame u can just bolt it on and don't have to worry about the struts for fender at all , or u can make struts for it and bolt or weld to swing arm but u have to be sure u have clearance when u hit a pothole ! Chances are u wont if u r a big dude and want to put the lady on the back

IP Logged
Jahoo

Annapolis,MD
Reply #9 - 12/16/12 at 19:09:07

Bubba, at least the birds are in the play offs. I'm going to try and make some bolt on hardtail struts too just to see what I think about how bad it is on my kidneys. If I can't stand it I'm going to go with a floating fender, If I can deal I'm going to start work on basically turning my stock Sav into something like this. Kinda frisco almost looks like an xs650 custom.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #10 - 12/16/12 at 19:23:50

Jahoo take it from a worn out,broke down,busted up old scooter tramp from the glory days of choppers. Think back to Arlen Ness and "Bay Area Customs. Long before Orange County Choppers and Jesse James.

Rigid struts and hard-tailed frames are for the young guys. And they make a young guy old ,quick! I rode rigids way back when,but only around town and short putts. Thinking back, it seems not so bright to beat up your body just to look cool when you can ride comfortably with a good suspension.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 12/16/12 at 20:39:01

Having grown up riding springers on rigid frames... most with hard mounted seats...

I'm 40 and about 60% of the time need a cane.

Yes, rigids handle better. Yes rigids look cleaner. Yes, a rigid frame and a springer are traditional (but only with suspended seats if you want to be truly accurate). I prefer them, okay, I really loathe seeing shocks on a bike, completely destroys the lines of it. If I'm going to ride a suspension bike I'd rather have a Virago chassis, VN800/900 or Softail. They look traditional, the shocks are hidden.

Suspending your seat... Forget the cute little generic chopper seat with clothes pin or tug boat spec Detroit Diesel valve springs. The Savage frame will accept K model Harley solo seats, use the police spring package, your lumbar spine will thank you. Or better yet, get a seat and springs for a KZ900/1000P series (same ones Harley still uses on police Road Kings for a lot less money). They are big enough that your butt doesn't hang off the sides, the foam is much better quality, the vinyl cover is higher quality and the springs are designed to work.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 12/16/12 at 22:28:18

WD,.. yer' hardass, cool...   Wink...
...but, if hardtails handled better,.. I'm sure GP racers would be happy to drop the weight...

As an old dirt rider,.. the more time your tire is in contact with the ground,..  the better control you have...
Ultimately,.. you want suspension to absorb every nuance of road deviation you will encounter...
The firmer your contact to the road,.. the more control you have...
... and the faster you can go...
Suspension isn't just a comfort,.. it's performance...
It's keeping rubber to road, for maximum acceleration and braking...

If you can ride hardtail fast,.. I'm impressed...
If you can ride without a front brake fast... I'm impressed...
... but, that's like ridin' with one hand tied behind your back...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 12/16/12 at 23:11:24

I outgrew fast a long time ago. Except dirt track parallel twins... with twin leading shoe drums on both ends.

I like the way a rigid doesn't get squirmy in corners. I like the way a springer doesn't dive when you use the front brake. The combination of the two works great for where/how I like to ride. But the bikes we have at the farm aren't suitable to be set up that way. I tried hardtail struts on my Savage, didn't like it. If I want it to be a rigid, I'll order a proper weld-on conversion kit for it. And a real sprung seat.

If I'm stuck in town I'll take my Savage. If I'm stuck having to ride the super slab give me a Vulcan, a Harley, a Road Star, a Royal Star, an 1100 ACE or something else that can get out of its own way w/o squashing me up on the tank (no repli-racers).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Jahoo

Annapolis,MD
Reply #14 - 12/16/12 at 23:47:11

I think I'm going to use the hard tail struts to give it a try. When I first bought my non rubber mounted sportster everyone told me the vibration was going to drive me crazy, but it never seemed to bother me. The amount of repairs on the Harley has driven me insane though. Seeing how I am in fact pretty young and like the look of the struts I'm going to give hard tail a shot, but unless I love it I'm going to start on the floating fender and keep the suspension. I am in no need of a messed up back. This is my first metal working project, where could I get the metal to do the struts? Should be a real easy build right? Cut stock to measured dimension, drill two holes, put on bike, then shake kidneys and vertebrae out of place for a bit.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 23:26:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Doesnt this fender only work on rigids?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.