Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
WAR -- Belt vs. Chain (facts & sources) (Read 466 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Opinions on Belt vs. Chain
Reply #15 - 12/15/12 at 14:39:08

Charon, please don't use big words that somebody has to look up.  Really makes them feel inadequate small.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #16 - 12/15/12 at 15:28:14

Belt is cleaner, lighter, less labor intensive and ugly.

Chain is labor intensive if you want it to really last. And ugly.

Shaft drive is heavy, has high parasitic losses courtesy of the differential, and is ugly.

It's a toss up. If the cost is pretty much the same, go with the belt. I don't like the basically static gear ratio but, it is livable. As infrequently as Savage belts break, I can deal with the look. And if it does break, it isn't hard to swap out, drop a shock, pull a wheel and a couple of cheesy covers. It isn't like you have to tear the primary drive out and the inner primary off (Harley Davidson and modern Indian).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave-Aus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 12/15/12 at 15:53:54

Thank you for posting the link to the chain conversion thread

When I was clicking it from the table of contents it was saying "you are not allowed to access this" - does that with a couple of the links. (?)

The one you posted worked for me - strange Smiley

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #18 - 12/15/12 at 16:42:29

I'd say belt - I bought a Savage partly for this exact part of the bike. No headaches and I personally think it looks cool in chunky mad max retro future kind of way  Wink
Each to their own but chain is definitely more hassle.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: WAR -- Belt vs. Chain (facts & sources)
Reply #19 - 12/15/12 at 19:19:01

Quote:
I'd say belt - I bought a Savage partly for this exact part of the bike. No headaches

Too bad we don't have a cam belt instead of a chain Wink

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #20 - 12/15/12 at 19:31:39

Mine is chain,running 15/41. Works good for me. bear in mind too I run a 170/70/16.
I dont like having a dinner plate on the rear wheel.

018_002.jpg
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #21 - 12/15/12 at 20:20:53

Of all the things I like about my Savage, the belt is in the top three....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #22 - 12/15/12 at 20:39:22

Digger wrote on 12/15/12 at 20:20:53:
Of all the things I like about my Savage, the belt is in the top three....

Same here! Clean,low maintenance,long life. I guess if you are one of those that is constantly tweaking for the most speed/fuel mileage/rpm range,etc. the chain is better. Me.....I just want to ride a scoot without constant wrenching.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #23 - 12/15/12 at 23:05:31

to my regret I did not fully read all your posts , guys, but the theme I was very interested...
I also have the experience of the operation of a savage with a chain in the drive and belt in the drive . so here is my very personal feelings...
at first, when I only bought his savage 400 he had the drive chain, however, she was already very badly sprained, terribly roared and crackled . during the long Russian winter I purchased a set of the chain and the sprokets . and with the coming of spring, installed them and drove season . mileage amounted to about 2-2,5 thousand miles away. a new set of course not noisy as the old... but considering what we have quite dusty road I often have to clean and lubricate the chain-about every week... it's a little annoyed . Sad
then I chanced set of belt and drive pulley with a small meleage . I purchased and installed(although the traction sheave I got from Kawasaki EN 450 and now I can play with the transfer ratio) Smiley .
the cost of money is about the same...chain kit cost me about $ 170 and 150$ for belt/pulley kit.
with the belt I like to ride no need to frequently wash and lubricated(my hands were clean Smiley) other benefits you guys described above the size of the chain(if all the same you Dave want to install only the chain) in the effluent was established chain of 520 size. and I think there is no need to put the larger .Savage is not powerful sportbike ...and excess weight(520 kit easier 525, that I have set, approximately on 2-3 kg.) savage not needed. well, something like that...
cheers

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 12/16/12 at 04:27:06

wambr wrote on 12/15/12 at 23:05:31:
to my regret I did not fully read all your posts , guys, but the theme I was very interested...
I also have the experience of the operation of a savage with a chain in the drive and belt in the drive . so here is my very personal feelings...
at first, when I only bought his savage 400 he had the drive chain, however, she was already very badly sprained, terribly roared and crackled . during the long Russian winter I purchased a set of the chain and the sprokets . and with the coming of spring, installed them and drove season . mileage amounted to about 2-2,5 thousand miles away. a new set of course not noisy as the old... but considering what we have quite dusty road I often have to clean and lubricate the chain-about every week... it's a little annoyed . Sad
then I chanced set of belt and drive pulley with a small meleage . I purchased and installed(although the traction sheave I got from Kawasaki EN 450 and now I can play with the transfer ratio) Smiley .
the cost of money is about the same...chain kit cost me about $ 170 and 150$ for belt/pulley kit.
with the belt I like to ride no need to frequently wash and lubricated(my hands were clean Smiley) other benefits you guys described above the size of the chain(if all the same you Dave want to install only the chain) in the effluent was established chain of 520 size. and I think there is no need to put the larger .Savage is not powerful sportbike ...and excess weight(520 kit easier 525, that I have set, approximately on 2-3 kg.) savage not needed. well, something like that...
cheers

I have 2 bikes with the stock belt and on with the chain conversion.
The one with the chain currently has a 17/45 sprocket set with a 530 chain.  I am considering going to a 16/45 ratio which is still a bit above the stock ratio but my give me the compromise I want with easier cruise and still have quick response for acceleration.
By the way, I was just looking at Samara on google.  It looks like a good sized city there was something said about it having the largest square in Europe.  Looks like there is a lot of farm land outside the city as well.  That would make for some good riding.  I saw an ad for Hotel Ozerki, said to be about 30 minutes of the city.  It seems to be in a quiet relaxed area.  I wish I could fly over for a visit and ride the country roads.

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #25 - 12/16/12 at 04:52:04

Lancer, if I've understood you correctly, then you have the desire to visit Samara and ride? well, welcome!will glad you found.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #26 - 12/16/12 at 06:56:52

I must say this is the first time I have been scolded for using the correct word - hysteresis - on a forum. Mark Twain is reported to have said "The difference between the right word and the wrong word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug." I suppose some prefer the lightning bug.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #27 - 12/16/12 at 08:22:34

Belt all the way for me ... I am trying to swap the GS500 chain into belt ... if suzuki had put 30 sec of thought into it, it woiuld have had belt to start with.
They put a belt on the buells ... I love that about em ... gates polychain freaking cool, our savage one isn't that great, but its good enough for a low hp bike.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #28 - 12/16/12 at 09:44:41

oldNslow wrote on 12/15/12 at 19:19:01:
Too bad we don't have a cam belt instead of a chain Wink

Yeh c'mon Ryca people - the cafes are great but where's the teflon cam belt?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #29 - 12/16/12 at 11:16:44

The belt has less unsprung weight as well.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 09:32:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › WAR -- Belt vs. Chain (facts & sources)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.