Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
new member from south texas (Read 245 times)
ChonsChopShop
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

new member from south texas
12/14/12 at 09:18:26

first of all, let me introduce myself... the names Raul.. im 22 and from south texas... im buying a savage from a friend thats also a member here... his names chris and he bobbed it out already... he painted an orange color with gold flakes... if any of you all can find his thread, can you all post a link to it, i havent had any luck finding it to get some pics... the cam and rocker arms need replacing but i also had a hard time looking for the rocker arms so im debating whether or not to order a complete engine from ebay... im also looking into the chain conversion and might order the sprockets tomorrow... i bike is a rolling chassis right now, meaning an extended (6") hardtail dropseat is in the back of my mind... Grin

i love the look of bobbers with sportbike wheels and tires... some old school with some new school flavor  Smiley

im open to any suggestions from you all... let me know what you all think or if you all know where i might find some parts at... thanks in advance

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: new member from south texas
Reply #1 - 12/14/12 at 09:42:17

Hi CC... Welcome...
Need his site name to find him... (unless someone remembers a gold flake bike)...
Cam and rocker problem, likely came from having idle speed set too low...
When you get it running,.. don't go for a slow loping idle... it'll starve the head...

I'd recommend getting her up and running before sinking cash into mods...
Unless you're real experienced with bike work...
Hope you enjoy the bike, and the site... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ChonsChopShop
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/14/12 at 09:50:47

found him, this is the bike

IP Logged
ChonsChopShop
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/14/12 at 09:55:07

im looking into this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Boulevard-LS650-S40-Engine-Motor-GUARANTEED-LO...

do you all know if it will be a direct replacement or will i need other parts??? i have all the accesories from my engine that i plan on swapping over to this one

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #4 - 12/14/12 at 16:55:25

Welcome!  That's a pretty nice looking bike.  Are you only getting what's in the pic, or does he have a box of parts?  Looks like you're missing a carb and your left side handlebar controls.  You've got no front brake, either.  Some people desire form over function, but you may want to think twice about running with nothing more than a rear drum.  IMHO, of course.

I don't know if this is the cheapest spot, but it looks like you could get your cam, rockers, rocker shafts, o-rings, everything you'd need for less than $350.  Why do you need to replace them? Did he run it low on oil, or with a really low idle?

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/3504-suzuki-2002-savage-ls650p/ass...

Anyways, welcome and good luck! Cheesy

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
ChonsChopShop
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/14/12 at 17:05:39

he had taken it all apart to fix it but now cant finish it since hes getting married and has another car hes building and needs the funds... As for front brake, I've owned a couple of bikes and only one had the front brake, ive always liked the bare naked frond end look.. now that you've showed me that, i'm gonna look into it... Thanks

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 12/14/12 at 17:14:44

That thing is mint. I'm seriously debating putting my stock tank back on after seeing this.

IP Logged
Hotrodchriz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Edinburg,Tx
Reply #7 - 12/14/12 at 17:22:05

Yes it comes with carb, and for left side controls they are all relocated so it has function lights and horns with relocated switches. I bought the bike with the bad engine with plans to rebuild it but jumped on the aesthetics of it first. Now that I am in the process of getting married I  I have to get rid of it to help fund the wedding and trying to finish my 54 bel air. As for front brake I am with chon. I have ran several bikes with no front brakes for a long time.

IP Logged
Hotrodchriz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Edinburg,Tx
Reply #8 - 12/14/12 at 18:20:56

Cavi Mike wrote on 12/14/12 at 17:14:44:
That thing is mint. I'm seriously debating putting my stock tank back on after seeing this.

Thanks for the complements. Here is a Shot of the flake close up:

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 12/14/12 at 23:09:19

Welcome. Good lookin' bike. You might want to check The Marketplace and the Tech Section before spending money you don't have to. There are several on here who can help you with wrenching.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
ChonsChopShop
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/14/12 at 23:25:40

There just done ordering the cam and rockers... Should have it runing in several days... Also got a gsxr rear wheel setup and ordering the gs500 sprocket setup tomorrow, so we'll see if I can somehow get that wheel on...

Heres a pic

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 12/15/12 at 07:11:48

Get on any normal motorcycle, maybe even a Savage, and do a test on a deserted road.

Pick out a couple of easily definable points along the side of the road,... a large rock, a sign, bott's dot, a hydrant, whatever.  Point A should be a few hundred yards from point B.

Start at point A and take it up to 40 mph.  At point B, do a panic stop using both brakes.  

Note where you stop.  We'll call that point C.  

Put a long 4x4 (or several 4x4s) 50 feet further down the road from point C, all the way across the road, perpendicular to the road,.. we'll call it point D.

Now go back to Point A.  Take it up to 40 mph again, and like before, do a panic stop at point B,.. but this time using only the rear brake.

The end result of this second trial will be that point C is now beyond point D, and you have just dinged up your bike, and maybe your knees, elbows, etc.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
ChonsChopShop
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 12/27/12 at 02:19:44

I understand where you are coming from but all i'm going to use this for is for city driving and cruising... I'm not going to be doing 80 all the time... as long as I keep it under the speed limit, I should be fine... Already ordered the parts and now just waiting to get them in the have the bike running... Does anyone happen to know how long it should take for them to arrive???? Its been almost 2 Weeks

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 12/27/12 at 04:47:41

ChonsChopShop wrote on 12/27/12 at 02:19:44:
I understand where you are coming from but all i'm going to use this for is for city driving and cruising... I'm not going to be doing 80 all the time... as long as I keep it under the speed limit, I should be fine... Already ordered the parts and now just waiting to get them in the have the bike running... Does anyone happen to know how long it should take for them to arrive???? Its been almost 2 Weeks

City driving and cruising, eh?  These traffic conditions are where you will need the front brake the most.  

Keeping it under the speed limit, eh?  If you knew how civil engineers and/or local officials computed speed limits, you'd know safety has little to do with it.  

I predict the first time, without any warning, somone pulls out in front of you, or makes an oncoming left turn in front of you,.. you'll find some tidy-looking way to get a front brake on your bike,.. assuming you are alive to do so.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 12/27/12 at 08:09:28

Spend some time inspecting the cam /head fit. If the cam got hurt, odds are the head lost some material, too. Hate to see it go together needing a new head & cover & wreck another cam.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 04:17:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new member from south texas

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.