Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What voltage do I use in my equation for accessori (Read 91 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
What voltage do I use in my equation for accessori
12/13/12 at 19:39:16

I was taught P=IxE. I am looking at a set of heated overgrips that have a 1.6 amp draw. Later in the description it mentions 22 watts. Plugging these numbers in to my equation, I get a 13.75 volts for the missing variable. That sounds high. I read in the tech section that we can add approximately 20 watts max to the Savage. 20 amps divided by 12 volts equals 1.67 amps. If I use the 13.5 figure for volts, I end up with 1.48 amps. So, what voltage figure should I use in my calculations?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: What voltage do I use in my equation for acces
Reply #1 - 12/13/12 at 20:07:02

12 volts is a raw basic number

13 to 14 is the charge voltage of the savage... any mc really.

this is what's available while running the bike.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 12/13/12 at 20:16:07

Systems with 12 volt batteries run at about 14volts.  If you use too many accessories, and the voltage drops below 14 volts, you have maxed out the alternator, and your battery may start running down if the voltage actually gets close to 12.  On a Savage, if you run an electric vest and grips, you are probably going to come close to maxing out the alternator.

Use 14 volts.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 12/13/12 at 21:03:07

Greg, I see you are not a newb, but you may have missed the fact that most of us who ride with accessories have our wives following close behind with battery cables hooked up from car to Savage. (Note to self: Need 16' cables instead of 10'.)  Grin

I'm sure there are others on here who can recommend accessories by brand and even part or model number. We love our Savages, but they don't put out much juice. Good luck.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 12/13/12 at 21:50:57

The Savage ain't designed as accessory driver... So, it's charge system is minimal...
That said,.. there must be a little leeway...
Now,.. it depends on how you ride....  
If you tend to do 2 to 5 mile errands,.. that may not even be able to charge yer' battery...
If you tend to do 25 mile plus rides, regularly,.. even a little spare wattage will keep your battery up...

Heated grips don't pull much,.. (jackets and pants are another matter)...
So,.. you're probably okay...
If it were me,... to be on the safe side, I'd disconnect the front running lights in the front turn signals...

(I don't understand the logic of those things anyway,.. you've already got a headlight up there giving 50+ watts of light)... (the rear, on the other hand, has only one measly 1157 running light giving less than 10 watts. trapped inside a red shell)...
A more expensive option,.. is to substitute led's in the running light/signal positions... (you'll need a $10 dollar electric flash module to make them blink right)...

Bottom line... grips don't pull too much,... you can always try them... and if your battery can't maintain a charge,.. reduce consumption with killing front running lights, or swapping to led's...
If you're a short errand rider,.. swap now...

2 cents...  take it, or leave it... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #5 - 12/14/12 at 05:16:10

Thanks all. Bot, I never thought of disconnecting the front running lights. Is there a convenient spot where the 3rd wire plugs in? I know I could go look, but I am supposed to be working.  Wink I doubt I will switch to LED as all of the ones I've seen aren't as bright. I would only use the grips for longer rides. My hands don't get cold until I've been riding a while. I have no plans for heated jacket or pants either. My only issue so far is cold fingers.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 12/14/12 at 05:34:11

Greg wrote on 12/14/12 at 05:16:10:
Thanks all. Bot, I never thought of disconnecting the front running lights. Is there a convenient spot where the 3rd wire plugs in? I know I could go look, but I am supposed to be working.  Wink I doubt I will switch to LED as all of the ones I've seen aren't as bright. I would only use the grips for longer rides. My hands don't get cold until I've been riding a while. I have no plans for heated jacket or pants either. My only issue so far is cold fingers.

Another idea that I am going to use, since I use a Gerbing jacket on the rides around here this time of year (it's 33 degrees outside at the moment), is to not use the headlight during the day, and use LED running lights.  
-- I will eventually have amber running lights facing forward, with some really small but astonishingly bright white LEDs bonded to the reflector inside the headlight.  
-- This makes it look like the headlight is on (sorta) during the day, plus the amber LEDs have the running light visibility.  
-- The whole show uses up only about 3 watts.  (1/4 of an amp)

I don't ride at night unless I really do have to get somewhere on this bike.  My eventual solution for that is to use a reduced wattage H4 bulb (about 30 watts) but installed in a train light,.. the huge bucket from a GS1150.  The bulb is dimmer, true, but glowing in that monstrous reflector, more than makes up for the lower wattage.

So,... the end result is that I will be brighter day AND night, and use less wattage,.. leaving more output from our poor little alternator for the heated jacket, and grips or gloves.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 12/14/12 at 07:40:47

heres some lamp wattages:
head lamp 55/60
brake /tail 21/5
turn 21
running 5
speedo 3
ts indicator 3
high beam ind 1.7
neut  ind 3
license 8

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #8 - 12/14/12 at 08:43:36

thumperclone wrote on 12/14/12 at 07:40:47:
heres some lamp wattages:
head lamp 55/60
brake /tail 21/5
turn 21
running 5
speedo 3
ts indicator 3
high beam ind 1.7
neut  ind 3
license 8

This is good information. Since the overgrips use 22 watts and I have approx 20 watts I can add, removing the running lights frees up enough for me to accomplish the task.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 12/14/12 at 08:48:09

All the front signal connections are inside the headlight ...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #10 - 12/14/12 at 08:54:34

Serowbot wrote on 12/14/12 at 08:48:09:
All the front signal connections are inside the headlight ...

Thanks!

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #11 - 12/14/12 at 10:32:51

can free up another 7 or more by changing the  license bulb to led

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 00:49:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What voltage do I use in my equation for accessori

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.