Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
what other tank are people running? (Read 539 times)
strang

london
what other tank are people running?
12/13/12 at 13:40:16

I've decided I don't like my tank and am gonna swap it.
What have people done before with success? I seen the rycas.
any other options? I was thinking a Honda CB tank might look cool?

I know it will be hassle. In my head I have to:
- match up mounting tab on rear of tank with savage frame, maybe bolting on a fabbed brakect and then having it welded (don't trust myself with this job ie. explosion)
- grinding off savage tank rubber holders on frame  and fab something for the CB tank cups to sit on.
any other headaches I've forgotten?  Cheesy

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: what other tank are people running?
Reply #1 - 12/13/12 at 13:44:37

If it's more fuel.Guys have used Harley dresser tanks.I usually use Sportster tanks.I go bobber look though.They are usually pretty easy to adapt because of the weird frames.I think it looks ok with a fairly stock bike too.I used a Mustang tank on my '86.But that requires frame mods.

Here is the first '87 I did.Kinda pre-bobber.It was fairly easy to mount.I welded on a connector nut(a nut about 2" long) to the backbone of the frame and a bolt goes through the front tank mounts into the nut.The rear mount I cut the stock tank rear mount off and welded it to the Sporty tank.The downfall is you have to move your petcock or lose some fuel usage.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 12/13/12 at 13:53:09

A cb tank might fit ok, been meaning to try mine.

A latter tank with a single nipple if you can find them.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 12/13/12 at 13:54:21

Honda ATC (3 wheeler) is almost a drop on, but metal tanks are getting hard to find.Small GS, CB, XS (750/850 nearly drops on), and KZ tanks. SOME Sportster tanks almost fit, some are way too long. Ditto Big Twin tanks, 3.5 gallon EL/FL are pretty close, but you'll need a frame backbone conversion kit (V-twin Manufacturing).

The hard part is the square backbone tubing. If the bike had normal (round) old school traditional tubing it would be a lot easier.

Paughco makes a killer Indian chopper tank, but it won't work on our frames w/o a conversion to round tubing and at least a 6" backbone stretch. Ditto their 4.5 gallon Mustang tank for FXR frames.  Angry

I've tried way too many tanks on mine. I run an unknown make dirt track steel tank. Takes a 250 Rebel petcock.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #4 - 12/13/12 at 13:55:00

This one I actually moved the petcock.Which required ALOT of welding.

This is the latest one I did.Another Sportster tank.This one is rubber mounted.It has 2 flat pieces of steel(need welded on) with rubber bushings and bolts on underneath the tank.

And this is the Mustang tank that needs frame mods.I think anyways to make it look right.Even that I think it sits too high in the back.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 12/13/12 at 14:00:42

Not sure what look you are after....or if it is more fuel.

The Suzuki GT380/550 and some GS tanks can work - but the width of the frame loops at the back and the decompression solenoid challenge the width of the tunnel on most tanks.

I have a Suzukii GT550 tank and the tunnel width seems like it will work with the solenoid.  I also have a Honda CB360 tank that has potential - but will not work with the solenoid.  Both tanks will require new mounts to be made.

Welding a motorcycle tank is not a big explosion risk if it has aired out for a while.......most tanks that you buy have been laying around without fuel in them long enough that they are safe.....if you can't smell fuel in them there is probably nothing to explode.  If you are in doubt rinse it out with some acetone and remove the petcock and cap and set it in the sun for a couple of days and let it air out. You can also run an aquarium pump hose in and air the thing out for a few days.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 12/13/12 at 14:03:34

Here's a halfway decent shot of mine. 15" apes, custom exhaust pipe, HD Shovelhead FL rear fender, VS800 Intruder rear shocks, real metal 7" headlight instead of the stock piece of junk plastic 5.25", long since fell apart fork boots...

It looks a bit different now. Orange and cream, 2 up seat, and THIS sissy bar is going on it when the repaint is finished...

It's a good thing Savages have ZERO collectability or resale value... Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #7 - 12/13/12 at 14:14:53

I'm looking at more of a rounded rather than triangle (stock) tank and also trying to make the lines of the bike more straight across. Kind of cafe lite if you know what I mean.
Think I need to look at my savage a bit more as even when I took my tank off last month to swap out the petcock, I didn't even notice any of this square frame/decompression malarkey. My excuse: it was cold and I was in a hurry  Wink

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 12/13/12 at 14:19:12

Head on my bike looks like it doesn't even HAVE a gas tank...  Cool

The flat black behind the used as a baseball HD headlight is the tank that is orange in the other photos. It really is no wider than the front end.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #9 - 12/13/12 at 14:44:17

What's on there at moment WD?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 12/13/12 at 15:08:58

All 3 photos have the current tank. The one from the front is in flat black, the other 2 when it was still wearing Duplicolor Metal Specks Burnt Orange (really garbage paint by the way, it sheds metal dust even if clear coated).

Just an old scrap tank I found in the junk pile at the last bike shop I worked for. I've also got a 4.75 gallon Paughco Mustang (too long by several inches), a 1963 CL72 scrambler tank (have not tried it yet), a 1971 CL100 tank (puny that I haven't tried)...

My bike changes its look fairly frequently.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #11 - 12/13/12 at 21:42:05

I've got a couple extra tanks from my current CB500 project, and I've thought more than once to see how the savage would look with one.  The fit would probably be fairly close with minimal modification, and it'd be nice to have a larger tank.  Stock honda petcocks have 2 nipples, but that's an easy fix with a vacuum plug and a clamp.

Next time I have things apart, I can mock one up and take some pics if you're interested.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #12 - 12/14/12 at 04:02:32

HondaLavis wrote on 12/13/12 at 21:42:05:
Next time I have things apart, I can mock one up and take some pics if you're interested.

That would be great and save me buying and selling a tank
been there with another bike -
"it's gonna look so cool"
"doh" (it don't fit)
back on ebay....   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #13 - 12/14/12 at 11:17:32

Had another look at the bike today and yep I noticed the backbone is square  Roll Eyes  - why is that, what's the thinking?
Anyway I'm gonna try an xs750 tank and and maybe a CB350.
Do the larger CC tanks generally have larger tunnels than the smaller ones? ie. would CB650 be a better bet than CB250?
Also can I just bash out the tunnel on a tank to make it fit or am I kidding myself?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 12/14/12 at 12:13:44

The bikes with a single backbone generally result in a tight fit on the Savage.  The Savage is a single backbone until about the last 1/3rd, then it becomes very wide.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 06:21:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › what other tank are people running?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.