Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Suzuki Savage Air Filter (Read 2757 times)
Rj
YaBB Newbies

Keep the blue side
up!

BG, Ohio
Re: Suzuki Savage Air Filter
Reply #15 - 12/16/12 at 16:41:40

I would love something like that!! Let me know when it's ready and i can be your test trial

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #16 - 12/17/12 at 06:57:10

Long ago, as a result of air filter testing we did in school (B.S. Aero Engrg and for A&P certificate) I always favored stock (or at least pleated paper) airfilters changed regularly.  Bought on sale when possible, but still pleated paper,... not oiled foam (Uni) or oiled gauze (K&N).

Here are some more recent tests.  They are in agreement with the tests we did in the engine labs so long ago.  A few basic points:
-- Quality pleated paper filters usually flow about as good as you can get.  In the tests below, when the K&N did flow better it was only a tiny bit better,... very tiny,... so tiny it was within the marging of testing error.
-- Quality pleated filters trapped more particles.  Dust, dirt, etc.  Quality pleated filters send cleaner air to the engine.
-- Occasionally the oil used on foam or gauze filters can contaminate sensors inside the intake or exhaust systems.  Not much of a factor for a Savage, though, eh?

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

http://www.jackphelps.com/frontier/dynoknfilter.htm

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/Air_filter.htm

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #17 - 12/17/12 at 07:32:30

Thanks for the info...it is always good to get a second (or third) opinion so we can make informed decisions. For me I also want to have that old school  look of a visible air filter not to mention of losing the weight and clutter of the factory airbox.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #18 - 12/17/12 at 08:32:35

Super Thumper wrote on 12/17/12 at 07:32:30:
Thanks for the info...it is always good to get a second (or third) opinion so we can make informed decisions. For me I also want to have that old school  look of a visible air filter not to mention of losing the weight and clutter of the factory airbox.

Valid reasons.  One thing I got out of all those research projects was that while there were differences, the differences were never very much in flow or filtration.

For the same reasons as yours, there are guys that put a velocity stack on the carb and use a simple convex screen over the mouth of the opening.  Keeps the bugs out, eh?

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #19 - 12/17/12 at 15:17:07

Not to mention small birds!  Thanks for the info and pics! Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #20 - 12/18/12 at 03:13:28

Quote:
It is amazing how many people believe that better airflow = more power!

Ummmm maybe because it does? Is this guy serious? The more air you can get into the engine, the more power you can extract from it. This is basic knowledge. And clearly this guy has never noticed just how much air an engine can suck in while he rants in his ALL CAPS like a bloody teenager. This test sure looks like it means something but he's only showing us figures for an engine drawing 350CFM. What good is that? A naturally aspirated 350sbc draws over 500CFM at 5,000 rpm. Add a supercharger or turbo to that and those figures double or triple. No paper filter is ever going to allow enough air in and I know this from personal experience. My old turbo-charged Eclipse gained over 1sec at the drag strip from simply removing the stock air-box and putting a large K&N cone filter on.

But as I've said before in another post - the very small particulates that a good gauze filter may pass are still far too small to be harmful to your engine.

Let this guy play with his paper filters because he clearly doesn't care about performance - he cares about making sure his stupid O2 sensor doesn't get clogged. Boo hoo.

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #21 - 12/18/12 at 08:12:28

We all know that an internal combustion engine is nothing more than an air pump. Two things make power, the speed at which air is moved through the pump and the total volume of air moved. When you study the
improvements  over the years you will see that virtually ALL of them were to the more efficient movement of air through the engine, the improvements to the more efficient vaporization of fuel not withstanding. This why turbos and superchargers make more power...more air in = more power out  Grin

WWW   IP Logged
tomw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 12/19/12 at 12:17:13

I,am running a K&N RC-2340 this is the only K&N air filter I've  found that would clear ever thing from stock air box with snorkel removed, to a lowered seat pan and tank & seat mounts bracket  clearance  without cutting or grinding  anything only thing is your going to have to rejet.
I've got a 2006 thats bobbed out  335 pounds  and get alot of looks with the air box removed  because  the openness  of the frame now gives it custom frame look plus makes the engine look hugh witch it is large single 650

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #23 - 12/20/12 at 06:57:37

This what I am after also...the open frame look so people can see the engine more clearly. Nice to hear someone else thinks this the way to go. When I have mine done I will post pics for all to see.

WWW   IP Logged
tomw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 12/22/12 at 19:32:25

super thumper is this the look ??? check it out keep's up with my buds  shovel head for a while. market place 2006 s40 bobber saline mi. if i can help you out pm me not to good on computer but will try to help you out .I   grew up in the late 60.s and rember old twins and singels BSA wamted to put BSA tank badges on could be done with after market plastic and a little bit of heat . If you take the chrome head cover off lookes like a 500 bsa gold star when I go to bike week i summer the old timers say nice gold star then they say nice try shifter on the wroung side  have a lot fun with this bike and got a 883 out the hole purrty good ha ha 100 + lbs lighter good luck with your procheck

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #25 - 12/23/12 at 19:27:00

YES...I am going for the old school look...my head covers are off like you said. When I am done this winter most of the mods will be to the engine and drive systems. next winter will be the frame, swingarm and rear fender/tire, progressive rear shocks, mods to complete the look. These are the mods already done before winter set in...tachometer, Solo Seat from a Suzuki C50 Boulevard. (800cc V-twin), widened gas tank (4.0 gal) & a replacement muffler. This winter these mods will be complete...Big Bore Kit, Stage II Cam, Head Porting, Mikuni VM36 Carb with a U.F.O., Intelliget & Torque Wing, Barnet Heavy Duty Clutch, Larger Exhaust  Head Pipe, Chain drive Conversion, Drilled Front Brake Rotor, Electronic speedometer wth a tripmeter  Tongue

WWW   IP Logged
perajani
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #26 - 12/28/12 at 03:13:35

Some topics in here hint that attaching cone directly to carb is not the best solution, due the airflows turbulance or whatever  Tongue
But still many of us seem to have this method... I am not looking for the ultimate powerhouse, so is there any issues why not to go for directly one of these K&N models RC 1250, 2880 or 2340. All these are out there, but what is the difference?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #27 - 12/28/12 at 04:50:55

perajani wrote on 12/28/12 at 03:13:35:
Some topics in here hint that attaching cone directly to carb is not the best solution, due the airflows turbulance or whatever  Tongue
But still many of us seem to have this method... I am not looking for the ultimate powerhouse, so is there any issues why not to go for directly one of these K&N models RC 1250, 2880 or 2340. All these are out there, but what is the difference?

Generally, better flow is obtained if there is more of a closed and larger volume upstream of the carb.  The length and diameter of that volume has a tuning effect that can resonate at a given rpm to increase power.  Putting a small round filter directly on the carb negates any of that.

This is similar to having a stubby pipe on the exhaust side of the engine vs a pipe of a certain length and diameter to help scavenge the exhaust in a certain rpm range.

One factor is the room available for these things.  On a motorcycle there is usually lots of room for an exhaust pipe, but not much for an intake pipe.

On high performance bikes, the manufacturers put huge amounts of research and engineering into the flow properties on the intake side with ducts, runners, airbox shape and volume, variable intake valving, etc.

The way my RYCA CS-1 is set up with the kit-supplied K&N filter, I am pretty sure I am losing some hp there.  It does look tidy, though, eh?

See reply 138 in the Double RYCA build for more pics.

IP Logged
perajani
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #28 - 12/28/12 at 05:43:35

It looks like KN RC-2880. Atleast it has 57mm diameter in intake (2.25 in). I like the way the vapor hose is connected to this small place.

How tight are the cones? I found interesting Simota filter, but they only have 55mm diameter max. Could it fit to 57mm?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #29 - 12/28/12 at 07:50:23

MShipley wrote on 12/28/12 at 07:49:26:
[img][/img]

I just ripped out the old air box assembly and added a cone filter.

You might have lost a hp or two doing that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:23:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suzuki Savage Air Filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.