Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Wintel, the beginning of the end (Read 397 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: Wintel, the beginning of the end
Reply #15 - 12/13/12 at 09:29:09

Well.. not that its 100% right for this thread... but I just pulled the trigger on a new MB/CPU combo from newegg... yep my desktop gets new innards

AMD 8150 8 core @ 3.6 (replaces my AMD Phenom II x4 @ 3.7)
Asus 990 chipset MB
16GB RAM
includes closed loop water cooler. The 8150 is not locked and should get 4.4 on water, though I'll be happy 4.0

Cant wait to rebuild my 7yo desktop.  I still have not decided on a smartphone yet, though I know it will be andriod.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #16 - 12/13/12 at 17:31:34

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 12/13/12 at 04:03:52:

Then you'll like this next nugget -- MS is going to take all their exclusive, only can be bought at a MS store surface tablets and let Best Buy try to sell them at reduced pricing.

Cool!  At a better price, they should make nice Linux Tablets!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 12/13/12 at 21:30:08

You are gonna make the Ballmer cry and stick his tongue out at you again ....  

..... really, he's got that thing locked down tight so you CAN'T load another OS on it.

Ever.      Never.  

..... never say ever never, sez the smart savvy Linux dudes.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #18 - 12/15/12 at 19:58:07

Serowbot wrote on 12/12/12 at 17:50:30:
"Testing, one, two,... testing, testing"...
 Tap, tap!,.." is this mic on?"... Huh...

"OF,... ...ahhh,..there's nobody in this room"...
Undecided...
Serow
... Grin...

Oh I'm following along,   I may not be responding to this topic but I have been following it.   I have responded to the other 2 on the Arm processor stuff, and I have been playing around with the Hackberry boards that OF had suggested, plus I have a cubieboard that is now on the way,  confirmed shipping with a delivery date of Dec 19th now.  Might turn that one into a Home automation controller since it has all the GPIO's pulled out to header pins.

I've long been interested in the Arm Arch stuff, just been waiting for them to get powerfull enough to take over the x86 Arch and it looks like that may happen in the next few years for at least some applications at least.  There will still be a need for x86 hardware though for awhile but who knows maybe RISC might just surpass what we have now and allow Arm Arch to be able to process more then x86 hardware can.  Until then I my main development machine will have to stay as a x86 unit with as many cores as I can afford to keep in it.  As far as Winblows goes, screw them, for the most part I can get by without any Microsuck software at all, and for the few things that I need that require a Microsuck OS I'm sure they will run in Wine under Linux.  Linux is what I do most of my development in anyways.  

For the OS on the Microsuck side I'll stick with Win7 unless the version after Win8 comes back to a normal looking OS and not a Tablet or Mobile phone interface

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 12/15/12 at 20:23:20

If nothing else, Intel is getting stirred to go into a new, possibly better direction.   (they have announced 6 new lower energy use chips in the last 2 weeks, chips to become real in 2013-14)   The fact that INTEL is coming out with a home built Android based INTEL product is certainly a significant step for Intel.

Also, it is becoming noticeable that part of the old school x86 programming code base has become a root of a general slow down issue.  

It is amazing that bloated code in Win8 windows apps can choke down a powerful quad core Intel multi-core processor into being "somewhat sluggish at times", while APPLE and Linux apps can move along right smartly on a whole whole lot less processor and less than a third of the systems memory.

Some have even said this code bloat is being done on purpose, to force people into the upgrade cycle for a faster new machine, so as to feed the old school Wintel business model.

MS has issues, reality issues some would say.    They insist on making products that people don't want.

People are beginning to openly discuss Ballmer leaving and there was one fairly serious attempt to oust him already.    

MS has lots of money and lots of good talent -- why can't they apply that talent into making something that people want, instead of practising bloat and "lock down" maneuvers?

Example:  my 1core 1 gigahertz processor with 1.5 gig of systems memory is using <50% of  the processor and 426 megabytes of systems memory to type this post (w/two windows sitting open) using Linux Mint 9 and Firefox.

What is you modern multi-core I-whatzit Intel machine using your modern MS OS and IE 9+ using for resources just to post your reply back ??

Cheesy     Jest curious, you know ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #20 - 12/16/12 at 13:37:34

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 12/15/12 at 20:23:20:

What is you modern multi-core I-whatzit Intel machine using your modern MS OS and IE 9+ using for resources just to post your reply back ??

Cheesy     Jest curious, you know ....

Only machine I have that uses Spintel is this lappy,  Everything else is AMD powered.  And yes I know under Winblows it's resource hungry. The processor in this lappy is one of the 3rd gen I7 mobile units though, can't remember which one atm for some reason.  Now my workhorse development machine is one of the AMD 8 core processors running water cooling at 4.3ghz and 16gb of ram.   Reason I have so much ram is for creating a virtual ram drive for when I'm doing code and I load the whole environment up in that drive and do all the compiling in there, combine that with the 8 cores and I can spit out a full clean compile of Android ICS in about 15 mins.  Yes I do all that under Linux as well.

Also I haven't used IE in years, been FF fan for many many years.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 12/16/12 at 20:40:14

Hey, that's actually good, you using Firefox -- this lets us dial out the browser as a difference as well.    I am running an AMD processor as well, a single core AMD Athelon 64 bit 3500.  So good again, we are running the same brand of processor, similar socket, etc.

What does your system monitor reports for processor percent (take the percent usage of each processors, multiply each by the processor speed then add up the per core cycle megahertz counts to get a total ) and the system memory usage to make a simple post.  

I don't the think  the processor being AMD vs Intel is a big part of this equation (especially since we are both AMD) I think the newer OS being fat & sloppy & bloated is the main deal here.  

Difference shown will be the modern MS operating system vs Linux ....

=========

My old 1 core 1 gigahertz processor with 1.5 gig of systems memory is using right at 50% of  the processor and 426 megabytes of systems memory to type this post (w/two windows sitting open) using Linux Mint 9 and Firefox.
(note: I have Clam AV running on my Linux machine on anything that moves, so yes you can have antivirus running on a Linux machine just to make sure you don't pass anything ugly along to anyone you email or share a file with -- I practice "safe sex" computing as Linux machines can pass along nasties that cannot ever affect the Linux machine itself)

Linux is using about 500 megahertz of summed totalled processor cycles and 426 megabytes of systems memory to get the job of posting done using Linux with Clam AV running in the background.

================

Rebooting to XP shows that good ol' XP is pretty light all by itself, I am using from 46% to up to 95% of processor and 342 up to 400  megabytes of system memory (it moves around a lot) to type this line of the post.  I suspect background processes required by XP (like Avast anti-virus) are the cause of most of this random processor movement.

XP by itself is only 460 megahertz of processor cycles and 342 megabytes of system memory.   Interesting that vintage XP by itself is lighter acting than the current modern Linux versions when the anti-virus isn't running, sucking up your processor cycles as an add-on load to push the total load to be a whole lot greater.  

When the required anti-virus is scanning any activity, the usage level jumps up to 95% momentarily and the systems memory jumps up by 50 megabytes (950 megahertz of processor cycles at ~400 megbytes of systems memory) so your antivirus software takes up about as many processor cycles as your basic XP does.  

Linux uses a little bit more raw systems memory than my old stripped down XP does by itself, which is interesting to know.  

==================

Just use FF by itself with nothing else open on your desktop but your normal antivirus, etc.  If you report anything much over my Linux or XP usage levels, then it is likely Microsoft's code bloat in the more modern operating system that is making up the difference.

« Last Edit: 12/16/12 at 22:47:08 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #22 - 12/17/12 at 05:26:30

Well as I'm typing this on my Laptop, that hasn't been turned off in several days,  the processor is showing 0% use but the Ram usage is just a tad over 4gb, alot of that is because of have several things going on in the background along with all the usual resource heavy crap in the MicroSuck OS.  Not to mention FF is at a high memory use right now because I've been watching Netflix movies all night and need to close FF down and re open it to clear out it's Ram buffer as it just keeps building and building when it uses the silverlight plugin that is required for Netflix streaming.  I normally close out FF about twice a day depending on how much I stream off of Netflix because of that issue.  Also my Ram usage may be alittle higher then most because I disable swap since I use a SSD on both my Lappy and my main development machine as well since I have plenty of Ram.  8Gb on the lappy and 16Gb on the Development machine.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 12/18/12 at 02:25:39

Zero processor and 4 gigs of systems memory in use.    Wow     Shocked

Sounds like MS has found the secret of perpetual motion with that zero percent of processor used.

Cheesy

(or else MS System Monitor doesn't like to play with FF, which is the sort of thing MS likes to do as much as the law will allow, anyway)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 12/18/12 at 02:48:36

Well, there have been some new Linaro Conferences in Europe this past weekend, where most of the ARM and Linaro dudes were presenting A53 and A57 systems intergration and talking about integrating 64 bits into the Linux kernel and all the various sub systems.

Kernel 3.7.x will come out with all the stock ARM drivers for all of the ARM chipsets all the way up through 64 bit A53/57.

It will come out with all the Mali graphics drivers built in, up through Mali 678 (16 graphics cores).

Big LITTLE is totally cooked now and is already in the kernel, coming out in 3.7.x.

What was discussed in some boring detail was the secret driver boys, specifically VR graphics which are held under total non-disclosure by VR.

This sucks for consumerdom, because APPLE uses VR graphics and so do most of the other "retina display" chipsets that have been released to date.    

VR won't play with open source at all as their whole competitive advantage must be kept a total secret or they have no advantage in the marketplace at all.

Linus isn't going to accept those chips into the kernel until the providers offer "comprehensive driver packages" which will enter into the open source agreement just like everybody else does.   VR won't do this.

So, new ARM chipsets running Mali graphics will be fully supported by Linux for updates, etc. right in the kernel updates going out into the future,  chipsets where the vendor won't release his drivers won't be.

Android's upcoming merge back into the mainstream kernel was discussed, with all custom video drivers guys being very pointedly excluded.

Android vendors have been told and shown what they must do to be supported by future releases of Android and Linux.    

Issue becomes that the Chinese simply don't care -- if they can tweek up something to put on a prom that works "good enough" at time of point of sale with their "as shipped custom version of Android" they are not looking back at all (there is no post sale software support in China, period).    We got your money, dude .....

Korean companies are not quite that bad, but close to it.

So, look for a great ARM divide to develop in the future,  between the fully supported and upgradable products and the cheaper "works as shipped" products.

"Linaro Android/Linux Certified" will be come a cert to look for when buying stuff.

==========================   new stuff

A53 and A57 are coming out as a 64 bit "sea of cores" implementation.  You can mix and match ANY mixture of A53 and A57 cores in any quantity your want.  

Things given in the slide show as future examples are kinda scary, one single A53 core and count them (12) A57 cores for a heavy duty video redering workstation was shown as an "completely competitive low cost" system configuration that is supposed to cost 1/4 as much as a current video workstation.

For low energy server farms, an endlessly expandable system of A53 or A57 cores on plug in cards (each card carries the proper support systems memory and I/O chips) --  you just hot plug in whatever mixture of cards you need for your current workload configuration and if the workload shifts or grows on you over time, well you just shift your mix of processor cards accordingly.

A power user with a workstation type set up could add whatever he wanted, so the built in expandability means you could buy into a supercomputer system over time if you wanted to go play that way.   You would never become "obsolete" again.    (yeah, right)

Low end cell phone and tablet systems would be A53 driven, in dual, quad, and octa configurations.    Laptops and desktops would have a mix of a few A53 and some "increasing according to max processing load needs" A57 cores.

Android/Linux will be continuously upgraded to use all the cores using the ARM/Linaro developed core management system, so yes finally multicore computing will get USED properly by software.   This will be the case from kernel 3.7.x forward.

NOT A WORD WAS SAID ABOUT MICROSOFT -- they had no presence at the conference at all.  

Intel was there, to promise ongoing competing processors that would run Android/Linux natively and offer "superior value".   Intel intends to compete, not conform.   But they will offer over complete driver packages to the kernel group in advance of each new product offering.

This means the 6 new chips they promise for 2013 just got moved back into 2014 since once they have build them they have to get the support drivers into the kernel, which gets a major update every six months to a year.  

Or Intel can pre-release the drivers, but then they are rolling craps that the chips will work out exactly as anticipated when the wafer line rolls.

Note:   ARM does this driver pre-release thing, and has hit it on the nail head every time so far for those vendors who have bought their hard macro chip designs.  They do it by a qualification run of that exact design at TSCM on the actual production process it will run on, which is all part of their hard macro design guarantee.    

You buy into an ARM hard macro quad core A15 design with a Mali 678 graphics system, it just works upstream to the Android/Linux software and downstream to the actual TSCM production wafer line.

Problem is your two worst competitors just bought the exact same system and put their processing time order into TSCM before you did -- you lose.

Fastest one to market wins, every time .....

« Last Edit: 12/18/12 at 03:56:57 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 12/21/12 at 16:42:24

Intel’s Clover Trail tested: It beats most ARM-based chips… most of the time

http://liliputing.com/2012/12/intels-clover-trail-tested-it-beats-most-arm-ba...

Part of the fun of what is going on is the give and take between ARM and Intel -- Intel is intending to compete, not conform to any ARM standard.

In doing this, Intel is saddling itself with Microsoft instead of going with Android (as of right now, anyway).   By doing so they give up advantage to ARM/Android/Linux as this code is much lighter and quicker to execute.

Bay Trail is next year's contender against the quad core A-15 ARM chipsets.  This year it is Clover trail and it isn't doing badly against dual and quad core A-9s that it is being compared against.

Running MS legacy apps under Windows8 full edition, Clover trail is a winner  (duh).   Clover trail won't run Win8 RT apps, so the comparison is skewed a bit since Win8 RT is required on the ARM chipsets and the Microsoft RT code is brand new and sorta kludgy right now.

But in raw processor power (video rendering, databases) Clover trail is the winner.   The fact nobody is going to do this sort of work on a tablet begs the question, a win is a win after all.

ARM racks up other wins in the tablet type stuff:   "On the other hand, while tablets like the Acer Iconia Tab W510 offer decent graphics performance with support for HD video playback and hardware-accelerated 3D graphics, modern ARM-based chips generally run circles around Intel’s system-on-a-chip when it comes to graphics performance.

The iPad 2 offers faster graphics, not to mention the 3rd and 4th generation iPads. NVIDIA’s Tegra 3 chip (you know, the one that’s in the $199 Google Nexus 7 tablet) is noticeably faster."

If you read the article, note the prices on Clover trail tablets are quite high ($550-$600) vs the $199 Nexus 7 that kicks its butt and listen carefully to the note that anything the Clover trail beat the ARM tablets on was full notebook type work and you can buy a MUCH faster notebook for $350 for the video rendering and big database type things that will do that job much faster than any tablet.

And for tablet work, ARM still rules.

Late next fall when Intel's Bay trail comes out, and ARM's quad core A-57 comes out, then there will be another match up to see who rules.

In between these times, the Intel Clover trail will be matched up against the newly released quad core A-15 and quad core A-7 chipsets and losing more ground to them (until Intel gets Bay trail out into some products anyway).

Then there will be give and take leadership wise and Intel will get better and so will ARM.   Intel always does better with a competitor to keep them honest.

So now it is Intel vs all the ARMS and AMD -- so, Intel should get better even faster.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:21:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Wintel, the beginning of the end

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.