Send Topic Print
Am I  Mean? (Read 286 times)
ColoS40Girl

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Am I  Mean?
12/08/12 at 16:59:08

Okay,

An occasional acquaintance asked if his wife could ride my S40 to see how if feels to ride a MC again.  She received her MC license about eighteen months to two years ago and has not been on a bike since the MC class. This means she has ridden all of three days max. They know I have a Harley. I am thinking they think I wouldn't mine if she rode the S40 as it is my second bike.  My first and quite frankly last thought is H*ll to the NO!  I just do not understand why people think it is alright to ask to ride someone else's bike. I would never asked to ride someone bike.  So, am  I mean, selfish, or right?  Be frank as I have a thick skin.   Smiley

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Am I  Mean?
Reply #1 - 12/08/12 at 17:06:12

Nope,you're not mean.What if she dumps it or just falls over for that matter?I let a few friends ride my bikes,but that's only because they ride.I don't just let anybody ride them.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 12/08/12 at 17:07:55

Your first thought was the correct one.

Might be Mean but it's also Right.

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #3 - 12/08/12 at 17:09:39

ColoS40,
I don't know you and you may be the meanest person on earth. But in this case, you were just showing very good judgement. They were out of line asking.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 12/08/12 at 17:11:48

You are not mean, just being careful.
If she wants to check out riding again then she should go back and take the class again.
That is the safe way for her and you.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 12/08/12 at 17:36:49

If you told them where to shove it,.. you're kinda' mean,...
If just said no,.. you're pretty sensible...
Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 12/08/12 at 18:10:14

ColoS40Girl wrote on 12/08/12 at 16:59:08:
... She received her MC license about eighteen months to two years ago and has not been on a bike since the MC class.
My first and quite frankly last thought is H*ll to the NO! ....

You may or not be "mean" -- but in this case you are being nice.  I do not understand why people think they are just hop up on a big motorcycle.  The S40 is a bike bike.  A middleweight would be a 250 class cruiser.  A motorcycle to ride to see if you want to ride would be a 50cc scooter.   Really.   We are going to Hawaii in 2014 and the wife will be riding a rental 50cc scooter.

I assume, from your name, you are in Colorado.  I assume they also in CO.  It is *cold*.  Vacation where it is warm -- Florida or Hawaii.  Both have scooter rentals.  Or a bigger scooter, a 150cc Vespa -- Eagleriders in LAX have at least one available since I rented it myself.  Other Eagleriders locations will have Vespas also.  RENT a scooter, or even a 838 Sportster, and ride for a day.

Then she can see if she liked the scooter and would be willing to buy a big bike for herself.

WWW   IP Logged
ColoS40Girl

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 12/08/12 at 18:34:11

Well I have owned a Vespa 150cc and it definitely does not ride like a MC. It is underpowered compared to the S40.  Also, a Sportster would be more than she could handle IMHO since she is short and an 883cc can be intimidating as she would not be flatfooted.  Yes I am in Colorado.  It is getting cold but we can still ride.  I think their thought is I would leave it with them for "awhile" as they live in a rural area where she could "practice" and see if she should purchase a bike.  Her husband has two bikes and he wants her to ride with him in the near future.  There are a lot of inexpensive bikes on Craigslist.  However, I like the recommendation that she should go back to a training class to sharpen up her skills while deciding if she wants her own bike.  

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #8 - 12/08/12 at 18:41:12

If she was considering buying a car like yours and asked to drive your car, you probably wouldn't think about it in quite the same way.   In other words, you'd probably be a little more lenient.   However, the skill set for a motorcycle vs a car are entirely different, and just because someone has driven for years (a car) doesn't mean those same skills carry over to a bike.  I think one of the misconceptions that non-riders have is that they may think a motorcycle is just another vehicle, and so it's OK to ask.   As mentioned earlier, I have friends whom I would have no reservations about riding one of my bikes, but these are folks that I know personally to have riding expertise.

An extreme example...  I used to have an airplane, but there is no way I would allow anyone to take my plane for a "spin" without the skills and credentials to do so.

I think you made the correct decision, especially considering your friend's personal safety.  Think about how you'd feel if she darted out in traffic and was killed?

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 12/08/12 at 18:48:58

How much would ya sell it for? PIck a number. Tell her to write a check for that amount & bring her riding gear. If she dumps it, you keep the check,. & she owns a bent Savage.

&, in answer to your question, What Rowboat said,

When I went to visit a guy in HOuston, he had a 1,000CC Guzzi. He told me I could ride it. I passed. Im not comfortable on big bikes. Im not good with a heavy ride, & I KNew I wouldnt be happy paying for any damage & I KNEW I would have to pay if I messed it up. Well,, I wouldnt Have to,, I could just can a friendship & hang it in his butt,, but IM not wired that way,
I think anyone who asks to ride your bike w/o offering some security in advance is irresponsible & I just dont like her,, but hey,, I wont be picking your friends today.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 12/08/12 at 19:28:21

A fairly easy out is to just tell them your insurance will not cover anyone other than family members (or yourself) driving your motorcycle. Most people will accept that reason without taking offense.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #11 - 12/08/12 at 19:29:36

You did just right ColoGirl. A bike is a personal thing and besides the above-mentioned safety and liability issues I just do out give out "joy rides" to anyone. Only one friend has ridden my scoot and he is a trusted brother and rider of many years. He was also suprised at the power of "that little thumper" It had been a while since he'd moved up from the old Brit bikes to the Harleys Grin

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #12 - 12/08/12 at 20:44:54

Sharing a bike is like swinging...  It is OK to offer, but not to ask. Wink

I agree that a 2 year lag with three days experience is scary.  But I have "hosted" beginners before and will again.  It really depends on the person.  (Both rider and owner)  I have a friend that I have known for 25 years, and we have been riding together most of that time.  He still would not let me barrow a bike.  Or his wife...  And I am fine with both of those choices. Smiley

IP Logged
cowboy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/08/12 at 21:08:48

hell no don't do it. it never ends well :'(

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 12/09/12 at 04:11:40

For insurance reasons not a good idea. If she has no bike then most likely she has no insurance of her own and yours most likely only would cover you. And then if a accident happened she could sue you for everything you own.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:26:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Am I  Mean?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.