Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Am I  Mean?
Reply #15 - 12/09/12 at 05:02:37

You did good.  I would never let an unexperienced rider loose on one of my bikes.  I will let competent people on my bikes for a ride around the block......not for an afternoon ride.

If you friend had a bike she was riding regularly and she is practiced and competent.....it is a different situation.  But I still would limit it to a quick test ride.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #16 - 12/09/12 at 05:03:47

Regarding the insurance:  my Progressive policy for the state of SC states that coverage applies to me and any relative living in my household, and any person I, or relative in my household, may give permission to ride my bikes.
Of course policies vary considerably based on what you choose to buy, or by insurance company, and between different states.  
The only way to know for sure is to read your policy VERY carefully.
But even if the other person is covered if you give permission for them to ride, I don't think it's a good idea to do so unless I/you know they have the skills to handle it and have confidence in their GOOD riding judgement.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #17 - 12/09/12 at 10:06:39

You mentioned that her husband has two bikes and I'm sure they are full sized bikes that she would not be comfortable riding, with that said if he owns two bikes why would he think it's ok to ask to borrow your bike for her?  Huh  Bikes are very personal possessions to most people, besides all the liabiliaty issues and potential for them damaging the bike itself.

No you are not mean, and I wouldn't be happy being put in such a possition by a friend.  Figuring out how to tell them no is the most difficult decission in my opinion, not the answer itself  Shocked

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #18 - 12/09/12 at 13:40:20

ToesNose wrote on 12/09/12 at 10:06:39:
You mentioned that her husband has two bikes and I'm sure they are full sized bikes that she would not be comfortable riding, with that said if he owns two bikes why would he think it's ok to ask to borrow your bike for her?

That is actually a big deal.  If a person is not "comfortable" on a bike, they should not ride it.  It is risky enough, and being stressed does not help.  I have loaned out bikes before for "sizing purposes" and had no problems.  Some to brand new riders.  (In a parking lot, with me right beside them coaching.)  But I have said no to several as well.

IP Logged
ColoS40Girl

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 12/09/12 at 18:32:36

ToesNose wrote on 12/09/12 at 10:06:39:
You mentioned that her husband has two bikes and I'm sure they are full sized bikes that she would not be comfortable riding, with that said if he owns two bikes why would he think it's ok to ask to borrow your bike for her?  Huh  Bikes are very personal possessions to most people, besides all the liabiliaty issues and potential for them damaging the bike itself.

No you are not mean, and I wouldn't be happy being put in such a possition by a friend.  Figuring out how to tell them no is the most difficult decission in my opinion, not the answer itself  Shocked

His bikes are larger so it would not be wise for her to try and ride his. And you are exactly correct, I am is a bad position.  I plan to telling her my insurance covers only people in my household -"ME".  People have offered for me to ride their bikes. I respectfully decline and will not even sit on their bikes.  I understand it is an object that can be replaced but why would I want to fix something that I did not break. Also, the liability issue that was brought up is a big deal as well.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #20 - 12/09/12 at 20:47:48

First off I DID NOT read any replies. There was a great funny article in one of the cycle magazines this month. The title was "May I Borrow Your Personality?" Long story short, the answer is no. I would let Versy, Serow, Justin, Preacher, Baby Hog, KChris, and a few others ride my bike but they know better than to ask. A swap ride would probably come up or maybe a straight out loan, but it wouldn't be asked...just kinda happens. Exactly three people have ridden my bike besides me since I bought it. A Harley friend who hangs with a drag racing crowd, a friend who rides KLR 650s now after earning a wall full of trophies on KTMs, and my brother, who after 20 years off bikes didn't figure on first gear being so high and ran through his wife's flower bed. Just say no.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #21 - 12/09/12 at 23:08:14

Common sense dictates that you have used common sense by declining the reqest.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #22 - 12/10/12 at 00:15:01

Give them directions to the nearest Suzuki dealer to ask them about a test ride.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #23 - 12/10/12 at 04:59:27

prsavage wrote on 12/10/12 at 00:15:01:
Give them directions to the nearest Suzuki dealer to ask them about a test ride.

+1!   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #24 - 12/10/12 at 08:06:36

PR, most stateside metric dealers don't offer test rides.

I've let friends who've ridden for years borrow my Savage. But ONLY when it was in "back up bike who gives a s**t" status. And at that, if they weren't current or former club members they were told NO.

AND I always required some kind of security against the bike, usually the titles for at least 2 bikes, since mine is heavily modified from stock. Once a fellow ex-club member borrowed it with his girlfriend as insurance... Roll Eyes She's a lot cuter than the Savage...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #25 - 12/10/12 at 11:55:52

I was going to go to a demo day to test ride a c50 and a buddy I ride with said "Just take mine for a ride"  I said thanks for I would feel more comfortable on the dealer bike. Doesn't matter how long you been riding, It happens. I could never risk wrecking someone baby.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #26 - 12/11/12 at 00:50:15

Hi ColoS40, this is Maurizio from waaay across the Ocean.

One thing nobody has mentioned.

Detail.

Even among two bikes of the same model... no two bikes are the same.

Throttle response, accellerator cable lag, clutch lag, rear brake setting...

I've listed only four issues which will be typical of my bike, vs. your bike vs. anybody else's Savage/S40.

The bike your friend used for MSF Class was not only a different model with different performance characteristics; it had different throttle response, braking response, seat height, foot peg position etc...

So... what if all goes well, she rides around the neighborhood and locks the front wheel on gravel as she proudly comes to a stop in your driveway?
Who sues whom for damages?  Roll Eyes
Tongue
Are you sure you want to lose a friend? I'd rather look selfish for a few days than lose a friend forever  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 12/11/12 at 09:16:08

cowboy wrote on 12/08/12 at 21:08:48:
hell no don't do it. it never ends well :'(

When I was in high school I moved to CT. I had my bike shipped from FL to CT. When I got it I rode it everywhere. I was hanging out with three friends; all of whom were interested in riding it.
One wasn't in any hurry and bragged about having ridden dirt bikes on trails behind his house. The other two were green.
First kid took a go at it and slowly idled at about 5 mph into a headstone in a parking lot, stopped, and fell sideways.
He said he couldn't turn the bike.
The second kid rode without incident.
The third, the dirt biker, dropped it before shifting into first.

I now have less friends and a nicer bike.

I don't even like walking too close to other people's bikes. I do like that swinging reference. It's ok to offer but never to ask.

--Steve

IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 12/11/12 at 17:17:53

If this blithering idiot has a motorcycle endorsement, direct her to the local motorcycle dealership and have her ride one of their demo's.  If she drops it, she can work out the financial issues with them, not you.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:34:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › Am I  Mean?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.