Shifting (Read 181 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Shifting
12/07/12 at 20:20:01

The thank you from rquarantilla brings to mind a common issue - hopefully some of the more eloquent members can describe proper shifting and downshifting ofr a big single.  It seems a lot of new to single riders get off the throttle long before shifting.  That and setting idle too low seem to be the basis of many a post.  Perhaps a good audio of shifting up thru and then down thru the 4/5 gears would help (if anyone has the equipment).  And could an audio file help people without a tach set a reasnable guess of a correct idle speed.   Just thinking outloud. Huh

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Shifting
Reply #1 - 12/07/12 at 20:29:36

Trippah,

We have audio and video files of our bikes running (use search to find them) and lots of YouTube video footage of people shifting through the gears on their Savages.   For example, we have audio files of correct idle speed in Tech, along with recommended cell phone apps.
 Stuff like that is out there already.

Trippah, if you wanted to put together a newbie tech thread, you could pull this together in a thread along with some videos from you tube.  Tech Section exists for such beloved projects, and we even keep an Index so newbies can find the stuff easily.    Go to it, have fun.

However, due to the list being a screen & keyboard based information system, we really can't function as a riding school for folks who can't figure out how to roll on their gas at the same time they let their clutch out.  That is something that can be shown to some one, but not effectively talked about.

(plus it is right hard for us to reach through the screen and help them pick the bike back up off their leg again and again and again)

What we can do is what was offered by several folks in the same town -- PM me and we'll arrange to drop by and show you.  

Folks who can't/won't do that, well, we really can't help them.

But, you must agree that we are going the extra mile by offering to meet with them in their own town and show them one-on-one.  

No other bike site does that.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #2 - 12/07/12 at 20:38:16

Oldfellow -  good points.  haven't been to your Fayetteville since my apartment in Briarwood Circle back in the early 70's.  Oddly enought, I'm in a town next to Fayetteville NY.  Good old laFayette musta really got around. Wink  I'll peruse the audio files soon, now that Winter approaches.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 12/07/12 at 20:42:00

I just have a very hard time imagining anyone needing to be taught to downshift. Or upshift, Its just so natural.

At 50 MPH in 4th, the engine is turning faster than in 5th.
If I wanna DS, I goose it between gears to synch the tranny with the engine & rear wheel.  If more needs said, thats the problem,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 12/07/12 at 20:52:07

Justin,  I have a hard time imagining anyone professing to be as completely clueless as some of our recent newbie have claimed to be.

I also have a problem with folks claiming to have replaced their clutch eccentrics multiple times and fixed jammed rods with a magnet and this and that, but then claim reluctance to take off their silly side cover.

Huh        duh?  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/08/12 at 10:34:57

JOG, what about people who are new to motorcycling and have spent all their driving time in automatic transmission vehicles. The majority probably dont learn on manual transmission anymore. They could buy one of the new "tiptronic"type Hondas.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 12/08/12 at 12:00:43

Okay,.. for noobs,.. shifting should go like this...

Brrrrrrrp,.. brrrrrrrrrrp,.. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrp,.. brrrrrrrrrrrrp,.. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... Huh...

Yer' welcome... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Grayowl

Always learn from
yesterday

North Texas
Reply #7 - 12/08/12 at 12:18:54

Or would it be

Brrrrrrrp,..ringggggggg…  Shocked brrrrrrrrrrp,.. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrp,.. brrrrrrrrrrrrp,.. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Hit neutral again dangnabit !!!!!  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 12/08/12 at 12:19:26

J C Stokes wrote on 12/08/12 at 10:34:57:
JOG, what about people who are new to motorcycling and have spent all their driving time in automatic transmission vehicles. The majority probably dont learn on manual transmission anymore. They could buy one of the new "tiptronic"type Hondas.

Yup, Honda has a winner there.   Old folks who have leg problems and the new kids who can't grasp "clutch" will tend to gravitate towards the auto transmissions.   Sales folks will make sure everyone gets to know they can ride too, no matter how little they understand.  

Each brand will have one soon .....

Take cheer though, all dirt bikes have clutches and most of our riders did dirt before they hit the street.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
tarkm812
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island
Reply #9 - 12/09/12 at 05:56:43

Hey Bot,  I tried that  but couldn't find the last  brrrrrrrrrrr.    Oh nevermind .. mines an 87.  Only 4  brrrrrrrrrrrr's.  Tongue

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 12/09/12 at 06:41:20

Serowbot wrote on 12/08/12 at 12:00:43:

Brrrrrrrp,.. brrrrrrrrrrp,.. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrp,.. brrrrrrrrrrrrp,.. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... Huh...

Yer' welcome... Wink...

Forgot the pops, crackles, and bangs..... Huh

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #11 - 12/09/12 at 07:16:34

arteacher wrote on 12/09/12 at 06:41:20:
Serowbot wrote on 12/08/12 at 12:00:43:

Yer' welcome... Wink...

Forgot the pops, crackles, and bangs..... Huh

Yer right Art! Gotta have those,especially the pops and crackles Cool

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 12/09/12 at 19:42:56

I hopped into the passenger side of my brother-in-law's automatic truck as he pulled out of his yard on grass. I mentioned he was going to rut up his yard spiinning like that. He said, "So that's why we didn't move at first? How did you know that?"

Not everyone grew up with a dynomometer in their tailbone like some of us. And it will not get better unless we mentor some young guys. And a computer is a sorry sorry way to do it.

In defense of my BIL he can't drive, but he asked me to teach him to shoot when he was 18 and his dad died. Don't get into a shootin' match with him. He'll make you feel bad.  Embarrassed

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:34:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shifting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.