Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
you need to be aware of this new scam (Read 118 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
you need to be aware of this new scam
12/07/12 at 11:29:18

WWW   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Re: you need to be aware of this new scam
Reply #1 - 12/07/12 at 18:17:18

These ransom-ware viruses have actually been around for 3 or 4 years.  They flared up back then, but then kinda died down for a while, but have recently re-emerged again and are a little more sophisticated.   Most come from eastern bIock countries.  I probably fix 1 or 2 per month and have for the past year or so.

The new version of the virus can be VERY difficult to dig out, if possible at all.   Most of the newer versions register themselves, so deleting infected files won't help.   Also, in many cases it loads a copy of itself into memory (RAM) at boot time, then rewrites itself back to the HD at shutdown.   This means even if you search for instances on the HD while the computer is running and delete them, it won't make any diff because a brand new version will be written at shutdown.   If it has already done very much damage, you may need to wipe the HD and reinstall Windows; a PITA, but sometimes necessary.     :'(

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #2 - 12/07/12 at 20:01:17

That is why you need a bootable windows environment like the old UBCD4 win or Hiren's Boot CD.  You have to have a clean platform to look at it.  (In other words, it ain't easy...)

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #3 - 12/07/12 at 21:20:22

I have not see that one in a while, but I have always had good results with http://www.malwarebytes.org/

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 12/08/12 at 10:12:22

The last time one of those things popped up on my screen I just reached over and hit the off switch on the surge protector and shut everything down. Restarted in safe mode and did a system restore back a couple of days. The bogus stuff was gone when I rebooted normally.

May not work all the time but it's quick and easy and I don't think it can hurt to try. I'm still running XP by the way.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #5 - 12/08/12 at 19:51:45

oldNslow wrote on 12/08/12 at 10:12:22:
The last time one of those things popped up on my screen I just reached over and hit the off switch on the surge protector and shut everything down. Restarted in safe mode and did a system restore back a couple of days. The bogus stuff was gone when I rebooted normally.

May not work all the time but it's quick and easy and I don't think it can hurt to try. I'm still running XP by the way.

Even tho that is a "last ditch effort", you're probably right.   The problem with "pulling the plug" is that Windows creates disk buffers when it's running called swap files.   These are files that are "virtual memory"; i.e., a place to store stuff temporarily.  If you shut down abruptly, the swap files disappear, so the next time Windows starts, there could be some problems.  This is one of those actions that will eventually cause your system to crash altogether (it's a WHEN not IF type problem!).   So pulling the plug (removing power) is a last resort to ANY computer, but may be necessary when the alternative is even more horrible.

The separate "boot disk" (there are several of these) mentioned earlier will successfully boot your computer, but only a diagnostic mode.   So it gets your foot in the door, but unless you have at least a fundamental knowledge of Windows, you are still infected with the virus and back at square one!

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 12/09/12 at 08:44:10

I've been pretty lucky I guess. The power goes out around here with depressing regularity. Since I rarely turn my computer off, the plug gets pulled three or four times a year with no warning. So far so good. It's always been OK when the local power co. gets around to turning the lights back on.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:30:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › you need to be aware of this new scam

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.