Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Opinions of C50T Classic? (Read 178 times)
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Opinions of C50T Classic?
12/06/12 at 14:28:49

Ok folks,
I am 6'2", 220 pounds and my good wife is 6' and 160 pounds. Obviously, we don't do any two up riding on the S40. She has mentioned several times that she would like to see me get a bike sometime where we could at least do a Saturday afternoon ride together.

The wife and I were out doing a little Christmas shopping this afternoon. I took the opportunity to stop by the local dealership to see what they would charge in labor for installing some new tires. While there she walked the showroom floor and found a new 2012 C50T Classic on closeout for $6,999 plus taxes and fees. She loves it (maroon over black, whitewall tires, and wire rims) and offered to buy it for me if I wanted it as a Christmas present. (no, you can't have her. We will be married 40 years next summer and I think you can see why)

I wanted to do a little research first so I searched the forum and the web and can't really find any negatives (other than a grabby rear drum brake and don't I have that already with the S40).

Anybody with first hand experience, please chime in here and let me know what you think before I commit to the bike.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Opinions of C50T Classic?
Reply #1 - 12/06/12 at 14:33:23

does she have a sister?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 12/06/12 at 14:48:52

My buddy is a V-Star 650 rider,.. mostly...  ..but, for a few longer rides he's run a C50.... and loved it...
If you need that much bike, it's not a bad choice..
I've tried it just to see what it's like,.. and it was smooth and strong,.. just too much machine for me personally...

... and,..  if the wifey likes it...  Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #3 - 12/06/12 at 16:16:42

I have an 09 c50 and like it alot. It's great for when I want to take my daughter for a ride. The s40 isn't really big enough for the two of us to ride in comfort. It (c50) has plenty of power and is pretty smooth. I put a cobra exhaust on it and it sounds great. My grand daughter likes it but I think she likes going for rides on the s40 better. I have put about equal amount of miles on each bike since I got to c50. By the way, I got the 2009 c50 as a leftover for $5000 (out the door price) with 0 miles in early 2011.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #4 - 12/06/12 at 19:18:38

A prediction:   The wife will ride a few times, then decide she doesn't like riding that much, and choose to not go anymore.   This is because it will occur to her that part of the reason she liked you having a motorcycle in the first place was because it got you outta the house and gave her a few hours of peaceful reprieve.    Further, after riding a few times with your wife, you may also decide you don't like riding with her that much either (explained below), and that you also enjoyed your own little respite and the freedom it offers.   This is strictly IMO, and every marriage is, of course, different.   I am coming from a successful 35 year marriage (40 if you count living in sin). and believe I have learned something in all that time.

In either case, the good part for you is, if you like the C50 then you have a new bike whether she follows thru on her idea to ride or not.   It's a win/win situation!   The other thing is, maybe wifey will want the Savage hand-me-down for her own ride.

Now, on the subject of wives on the back seat...   mine may not be typical, but as a serious rider, I have found, eh em, drawbacks to having my wife ride with me.   To be frank, women tend to be fussy...    I'm hungry, I'm tired, my butt hurts, I gotta pee...   And keep in mind, that last complaint requires more robust facilities than a simple bush alongside the road.   Granted, there are exceptions, but I've found females are OK for a "nooner"; i.e., an afternoon jaunt around the hills, but can be a royal PITA on a more serious ride.   Now before I am burned at the stake for being a male chauvinist, this is all based on my own personal experience; your mileage may vary.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #5 - 12/06/12 at 20:00:26

I went from the S40 to the C50 to the C90. The C50 was a good bike for 2 up but it's gearing made it a bit lackiHng above 65 . You can change the rear end gearing and I hear this helps quite a bit.

We now ride a C90 and love it. It is very comfortable, cruises at 70mph with little effort and is easy to work on. I see there is a new c90 out for 2013. We will have to check it out at the January bike show.  Smiley

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 12/06/12 at 22:27:31

360k+ wrote on 12/06/12 at 19:18:38:
To be frank, women tend to be fussy...    I'm hungry, I'm tired, my butt hurts, I gotta pee....

Just described me,.. to a tee...  Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 12/06/12 at 22:39:33

I've demo ridden them a couple times. Nice bike, almost enough leg room for my 6'2" 230+ self. Bike's a bit gutless, but... it's adequate.

Lisa has her own bike. She's been riding off and on since... I better not say, she knows where my cast iron skillets are... Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #8 - 12/06/12 at 23:08:50

I ride a Marauder, the bike prior to the C50.  I am here because Aida rides the Savage, and I have to maintain it.  (But at least she rides!)

The big difference between the Marauder and the Boulevards is shaft drive.  This is nice in theory, but they sure like to gear them in odd ways.  On the Marauder, everyone is running taller gears.  Not easy on a shaft drive.

That said, it is a very nice bike.  Good power without being fat.  Still handles like a much smaller looking bike.

But, get an after-market rear seat and a sissy bar.  Trust me.  Both of you will appreciate it!

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #9 - 12/07/12 at 14:47:21

I went back today and spent about an hour with the bike. I decided to pass. Something just told me it was not the right bike at the right time. To be honest, the weight scares me a little. I think I will keep thumping around on the s40 for another year or so to hone my skills and then maybe consider something in the 450 pound range. Besides, I have not yet sorted out the jetting with the new Dyna and that was something I was looking forward to.

Thanks to everyone for their sage advice.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #10 - 12/07/12 at 14:49:09

My wife loves her 2005 C50.  Its a great bike, has lots of power, will cruise easily at 65mph.  We did a 3000km road trip, each on our own bikes, and it was a comfortable ride.  We literally have no complaints about this bike.

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #11 - 12/07/12 at 15:59:41

I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket seat for my c50.  I love the corbin that I put on the s40 but there isn't too much available from corbin for the 2009 c50. Any suggestions?

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #12 - 12/10/12 at 00:19:52

My wife's C50 came to us with a Mustang seat.  Awesome is the best description for it.  Well worth the money, which my research tells me is about $800 CDN.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #13 - 12/10/12 at 12:48:47

360k+ wrote on 12/06/12 at 19:18:38:
Now, on the subject of wives on the back seat...   mine may not be typical, but as a serious rider, I have found, eh em, drawbacks to having my wife ride with me.   To be frank, women tend to be fussy...    I'm hungry, I'm tired, my butt hurts, I gotta pee...   And keep in mind, that last complaint requires more robust facilities than a simple bush alongside the road.   Granted, there are exceptions, but I've found females are OK for a "nooner"; i.e., an afternoon jaunt around the hills, but can be a royal PITA on a more serious ride.   Now before I am burned at the stake for being a male chauvinist, this is all based on my own personal experience; your mileage may vary.

I have never had this problem. I ride the C50 with my 7 year old, and my wife rides the s40. and the group we ride with includes both female passenger and riders. With both the s40 and a couple of c90's we stop for gas every two hours or so. We did not have to make any stops that were not planned. We must be the lucky ones.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 12/10/12 at 13:49:43

Michaleen Flynn: Chasing Sean and Mary Kate on horse, the horse instinctively stops in front of Cohan's Bar. Talking to horse: "I... I Think you have more sense then I have me-self."

Given the legs of the Savage, I think the number of stops will be adequate and a distinct advantage over others providing you tie the barcolounger on the back.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:17:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Opinions of C50T Classic?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.