Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Gumout or equivalent carb cleaner fuel additive? (Read 381 times)
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Gumout or equivalent carb cleaner fuel additive?
12/06/12 at 10:12:36

In my continuing efforts to get a smooth-running bike, I'm wondering if adding a couple ounces of a carb/fuel system cleaner such as Gumout might help. I'm not at technical skills place where I feel comfortable tearing the carb down and cleaning every orifice. Gumout seemed like it might help clean orifices that might be coated but not plugged. I've had good results with these products with several cars. Anybody here tried it with their bikes?

- David
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Gumout or equivalent carb cleaner fuel additiv
Reply #1 - 12/06/12 at 10:28:31

An additive might give psychological comfort used as routine maintenance... but, it's not needed... There are already cleaning additives in gas...
If there's enough crud in a carb to actually effect the running of an engine,.. it's beyond being helped by additives...
In other words,.. they're practically useless...

If you don't want to pull the carb and clean it,.. just ride the tar out of it...
See if the additives already in regular un-leaded gas, will eventually do their job...
More additives don't do much better,.. it's mostly just moving fuel through the passages that will clear things up...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #2 - 12/06/12 at 11:53:50

Good thing this is rubber side down and I can totally dissagree with Serowbot.  Smiley

If the carb is clean, you use fresh gas, and ride every week, he is correct.  However, if you let it sit up, especially if it is 10% ethanol, crud starts to build.

There are two fuel additives I consider very good, and both work differently.

Techron - This is a high concentrate detergent.  It cleans very well, but does not suspend much.  Good for some hard clogs.  Add too much, and you get nothing, as it has no energy itself.

SeaFoam - This is like magic pixie juice!  An amazing solvent, and it has some energy.  You can actually (kinda) run the engine off it with no gas at all.  (It will stumble and stall, and that is if it is not in gear)  Also, it seems to be very stable, especially with 10% ethanol fuels.

If you get on the MIG forum, you will see lots of folks singing the praises of seafoam.  One use that I can personally say works is when you have badly gummed up carbs with occasionally sticking floats.  Get it running with gas, than (using a diner catchup bottle or something) fill the carb with pure seafoam.  You will have to work to keep it running, and after a short time, let it die.  Let the seafoam sit overnight, and the next day, drain the bowl and start it up on gas.  After a few seconds it will clear out and WOW!  I have put up to a quarter can (3x the recommended amount) in a tank on my Marauder and ran it through.  On the next tank of clean gas, you could feel the difference.  (I used to travel for work and my bike might sit up for a month or two)

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 12/06/12 at 12:09:48

Serowbot wrote on 12/06/12 at 10:28:31:
An additive might give psychological comfort used as routine maintenance... but, it's not needed... There are already cleaning additives in gas...
If there's enough crud in a carb to actually effect the running of an engine,.. it's beyond being helped by additives...
In other words,.. they're practically useless...

If you don't want to pull the carb and clean it,.. just ride the tar out of it...
See if the additives already in regular un-leaded gas, will eventually do their job...
More additives don't do much better,.. it's mostly just moving fuel through the passages that will clear things up...

Serowbot speaks with veracity.

Two sides to the coin:
1. It can't hurt anything unless you spill it on the paint.
2. It probably won't do any good.  I say probably because there is a very slight chance there might be a bit of goop somewhere inside the carb that could be dissolved or dislodged.

A buddy of mine in college would put a proper mix of the stuff (he liked Berryman's chemtool) in the tank.  Berryman's works every bit as good as obscenely over-priced stuff like seafoam.  All these things are just strong solvents, no more no less.
-- He'd drive it around until the tank has just started on reserve, so there wasn't much gas in the tank.  
-- Then he'd pour in a whole can of the stuff and drive it around for a few miles to make sure the carb was completely full of the super-strong mix. (it didn't run very well, BTW)  Before it was shut down he'd take off the air filter and squirt some of the stuff down the throat of the carb.  He'd shut down the motor that way,. one final squirt that wouldn't allow the motor to run anymore.    
-- Then he'd let it sit overnight.  The idea was to let the overly powerful solvent eat away at the goop in the carb.
-- The next day he'd fill the tank back up and go on his way.

He claimed that technique worked really well, and that he never ever had to clean a carb,.. but,.. then again,.. what else would you expect him to say?

I have tried something like that a few times and didn't see any huge advantage. The only time I ever had a lot of improvement was on my Dad's 1965 Fiat 600D that saw very little preventive maintenance on his part.

One of my personality defects is that I LIKE to take simple carbs like on an LS650 apart and clean them up in sterile conditions.  I like all the precision, and the tidy way things all fit together.  Same with guns.

I always use a very very good filter on the carb so as to keep it particle free, and I use sta-bil if it won't be operated for a few months or so.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 12/06/12 at 12:12:42

If you're using an additive in such strong concentration that your engine will barely run on it,.. it's possible that it will strip the oil seal from your cylinder and cause damage to walls and rings...
This stuff don't disappear in the carb,.. it travels on...

It's very popular to do this, and create huge plumes of smoke out yer' exhaust... Youtube is loaded with these videos...
It's not a smart way to clean a carb...
It's kinda' like washing your bike by riding it into a swimming pool... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #5 - 12/06/12 at 12:14:44

Thanks to both of you for your opinions. I think I will try something, maybe Seafoam. Before I got the bike, it was mostly just sitting without being ridden for two years. The previous owner had some work done on it before parting with it, but not a full teardown of the fuel system, and it has had several problems since I got it. I got a used carb from an older bike off eBay and plan to practice a carb teardown on that. If that's successful, I will work on the "real" carb in the spring if I still have problems. But it sounds like I have nothing to lose by trying Seafoam. I used to run my old two-strike on Gumout each spring to clean out the fuel system, and it never seemed to hurt it (and the carbs were always clean when I did disassemble them to change the jetting). Also fixed an inaccurate gas gauge in my car with fuel system cleaner. I'll report back if I see a change.

- David
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 12/06/12 at 12:18:33

Serowbot wrote on 12/06/12 at 12:12:42:
If you're using an additive in such strong concentration that your engine will barely run on it,.. it's possible that it will strip the oil seal from your cylinder and cause damage to walls and rings...
This stuff don't disappear in the carb,.. it travels on...

It's very popular to do this, and create huge plumes of smoke out yer' exhaust... Youtube full loaded with these videos...
It's not a smart way to clean a carb...
It's kinda' like washing your bike by riding it into a swimming pool... Huh...

Agree.  The overly-strong solutions as mentioned above are a bit scary for today's seals, eh?

Anyway, using solvents like this is about 1/100th as effective as:
-- taking the carb off,.........................10 minutes
-- disassembling the carb,..................20 minutes if you don't get hung up with stuck screws
-- cleaning the carb and all its bits......30 minutes
-- reassembling and installing.............30 minutes

An hour and a half.  Tack on an hour if this is the first time you've ever done it.  Tack on a week if you have never done it before and do not have a manual.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 12/06/12 at 12:35:31

-1/2 hour if you done it a hundred times and are really wonderng why you've done it a hundred times.  Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 12/06/12 at 12:48:15

verslagen1 wrote on 12/06/12 at 12:35:31:
-1/2 hour if you done it a hundred times and are really wonderng why you've done it a hundred times.  Grin

Actually it takes me more than a 1/2 hour for the cleaning now, because I use an ultrasonic cleaner.  That adds in some delays where I have to go find something else to do while the microscopic bubbles try to seperate the crap from the carb surfaces.  I would guess from start to finish it takes 3 hours, but some of that time is used for some other chores.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #9 - 12/06/12 at 14:22:56

Quote:
An hour and a half.  Tack on an hour if this is the first time you've ever done it.  Tack on a week if you have never done it before and do not have a manual.

I do have a manual and have also read the teardown thread, but based on previous recent attempts to work on the bike it still seems like a task I'm likely to screw up the first time. And it will take me some hours to do it. Used to be good with machines. Not so good any more, though it does come back eventually.

- David
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 12/06/12 at 15:00:47

DavidOfMA wrote on 12/06/12 at 14:22:56:
Quote:

I do have a manual and have also read the teardown thread, but based on previous recent attempts to work on the bike it still seems like a task I'm likely to screw up the first time. And it will take me some hours to do it. Used to be good with machines. Not so good any more, though it does come back eventually.

How about getting a Savage carb from eBay or some such, and rebuild it at your leisure?  Then when it was convenient you could swap it for the carb on the bike.  A spare carb is nice to have, anyway.  If you botch the job on the extra carb, you will have learned a lot, and the bike will still be intact.

Do you have the tools for this kind of job?

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #11 - 12/06/12 at 15:03:29

That's what I did, got a spare. Winter project.

- David
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 12/06/12 at 15:16:42

DavidOfMA wrote on 12/06/12 at 15:03:29:
That's what I did, got a spare. Winter project.

Good on ya!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 12/06/12 at 15:19:32

DavidOfMA wrote on 12/06/12 at 12:14:44:
Thanks to both of you for your opinions. I think I will try something, maybe Seafoam. Before I got the bike, it was mostly just sitting without being ridden for two years. The previous owner had some work done on it before parting with it, but not a full teardown of the fuel system, and it has had several problems since I got it. I got a used carb from an older bike off eBay and plan to practice a carb teardown on that. If that's successful, I will work on the "real" carb in the spring if I still have problems. But it sounds like I have nothing to lose by trying Seafoam. I used to run my old two-strike on Gumout each spring to clean out the fuel system, and it never seemed to hurt it (and the carbs were always clean when I did disassemble them to change the jetting). Also fixed an inaccurate gas gauge in my car with fuel system cleaner. I'll report back if I see a change.

There is nothing special about seafoam other than the exhorbitant price.

IP Logged
Kilgore Trout
YaBB Newbies

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #14 - 12/06/12 at 19:54:57

Quote:
A buddy of mine in college would put a proper mix of the stuff (he liked Berryman's chemtool) in the tank.  Berryman's works every bit as good as obscenely over-priced stuff like seafoam.  All these things are just strong solvents, no more no less.
-- He'd drive it around until the tank has just started on reserve, so there wasn't much gas in the tank.  
-- Then he'd pour in a whole can of the stuff and drive it around for a few miles to make sure the carb was completely full of the super-strong mix. (it didn't run very well, BTW)  Before it was shut down he'd take off the air filter and squirt some of the stuff down the throat of the carb.  He'd shut down the motor that way,. one final squirt that wouldn't allow the motor to run anymore.    
-- Then he'd let it sit overnight.  The idea was to let the overly powerful solvent eat away at the goop in the carb.
-- The next day he'd fill the tank back up and go on his way.

Bob, is it possible your roommate was treating the engine with fogging oil? I agree with Serowbot that any solvent strong enough to eat through the crud in a dirty carb is probably strong enough to eat through the oil protecting the cylinder, but maybe at least he was trying to take some measure to counteract that effect.

Either way, that sounds like a really unnatural thing to do to a bike.

I probably know just enough about this kind of thing to get me in trouble, so I hope someone can correct me if what I say next is complete and total rubbish:

It seems to me like if you run solvent through a carb to get some gunk out of it (and the process actually works), wouldn't that just move the mess on down the line? I think of old cars that have a lot of rust and sediment in the bottom of their tanks, and they're just fine until you try to fix them, then the sediment gets stirred up, goes through the fuel line and gunks up everything. If you're dealing with a solvent the mess would be dissolved instead of suspended, but I feel like you're going to get little chunks of stuff going through your jets, etc., and then making a mess when it burns in the cylinder.

But again, I'm operating on basic knowledge and my instincts here. I'm hoping that one of the veterans can speak to the accuracy of my hypothesis.

"If they give you ruled paper, write the other way." -Juan Ramòn Jiménez
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:39:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gumout or equivalent carb cleaner fuel additive?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.