Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Gumout or equivalent carb cleaner fuel additive? (Read 381 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Gumout or equivalent carb cleaner fuel additiv
Reply #15 - 12/06/12 at 21:24:55

$3.58/gal--$5.99/Pt  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 12/06/12 at 21:25:56

+1,.. Killgore...
What goes in, must come out...

If you get a splinter in yer' thumb,.. do you want to try to pull it out through yer' bum...?.
... no' what I mean?....  Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #17 - 12/06/12 at 21:30:05

I don't just talk the talk.  Cheesy

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #18 - 12/06/12 at 21:33:04

OK kids, enough for today.  Smiley

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 12/06/12 at 21:38:13

Seafoam in the medicine cabinet?...
Boofer,.... you scare me... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #20 - 12/06/12 at 21:54:03

Serowbot wrote on 12/06/12 at 21:38:13:
Seafoam in the medicine cabinet?...
Boofer,.... you scare me... Huh...

Good for whitening, but awful hard on toothbrushes.  Grin

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #21 - 12/06/12 at 22:45:16

Every word of Serow's post below is true !
I been saying the very same thing for years, and have posted pics to prove it,...pics of inside carb bowls that are spotless, bowls that just "set" for months during the winter.
I have also been asking for pictures to show the contrary for 2 yrs,....none posted yet.
Please,.....post just one pic of a carb that has all this crud built up in it from e-10 !

Serowbot wrote on 12/06/12 at 10:28:31:
An additive might give psychological comfort used as routine maintenance... but, it's not needed... There are already cleaning additives in gas...
If there's enough crud in a carb to actually effect the running of an engine,.. it's beyond being helped by additives...
In other words,.. they're practically useless...

If you don't want to pull the carb and clean it,.. just ride the tar out of it...
See if the additives already in regular un-leaded gas, will eventually do their job...
More additives don't do much better,.. it's mostly just moving fuel through the passages that will clear things up...

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #22 - 12/06/12 at 22:59:13

OK.  Let me clarify a few things...

1) A bike run a few times a week, with at least a tank of gas each week needs no fuel additives.  Actually, in the US all fuel is required to have a set amount of detergent, and it works quire well for normal use.  Running your bike often is the best maintenance.  Also, anything in your fuel that is not fuel is wasting energy and robing you of power and economy.

2) Bikes that set up will gunk up.  Ethanol fuels gunk up faster.  If that gunk is bad enough, normal fuel use may not clean it out.  This means a additive or a rebuild.  I have done both, and trying an additive is fast and easy.

3) Detergents and solvents are not the same thing, and do not work the same way.  From personal experience, solvents work better with gunk build up from sitting, and detergents work better with baked on gunk like carbonization.

4) SeaFoam has 3 uses.
  a) Fuel additive - This can stabilize fuel a bot (no where near as good as Sta-Bil Marine) and will clean out carb bowls, sticky needles, and partially clogged jets.
  b) A Decarbonizer - There are the smoke screen YouTube videos.  You pour it in the intake until the motor stalls.  It sits wet in the intake and on the intake valves breaking up the carbon.  In a car with 4000,000 miles that was not passing emissions due to high Nox, it brought it down about 300 points.   It is also likely to seep into the cylinders and wash the ring surfaces.  Long term this is bad.  Once every 200k miles or so, not so much.
  c) An Oil Change Additive - Add to oil and run for a few minutes to break up the gunk.  I think this is BS.  First, if you change your oil on time (and I do) you do not have gunk build up.  Second, I do not want anything thinning out the oil surface on my bearings.  They are not easy to replace...

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #23 - 12/07/12 at 04:19:01

houstonbofh wrote on 12/06/12 at 22:59:13:
OK.  Let me clarify a few things...

1) A bike run a few times a week, with at least a tank of gas each week needs no fuel additives.  Actually, in the US all fuel is required to have a set amount of detergent, and it works quire well for normal use.  Running your bike often is the best maintenance.  Also, anything in your fuel that is not fuel is wasting energy and robing you of power and economy.

2) Bikes that set up will gunk up.  Ethanol fuels gunk up faster.  If that gunk is bad enough, normal fuel use may not clean it out.  This means a additive or a rebuild.  I have done both, and trying an additive is fast and easy.

3) Detergents and solvents are not the same thing, and do not work the same way.  From personal experience, solvents work better with gunk build up from sitting, and detergents work better with baked on gunk like carbonization.

4) SeaFoam has 3 uses.
  a) Fuel additive - This can stabilize fuel a bot (no where near as good as Sta-Bil Marine) and will clean out carb bowls, sticky needles, and partially clogged jets.
  b) A Decarbonizer - There are the smoke screen YouTube videos.  You pour it in the intake until the motor stalls.  It sits wet in the intake and on the intake valves breaking up the carbon.  In a car with 4000,000 miles that was not passing emissions due to high Nox, it brought it down about 300 points.   It is also likely to seep into the cylinders and wash the ring surfaces.  Long term this is bad.  Once every 200k miles or so, not so much.
  c) An Oil Change Additive - Add to oil and run for a few minutes to break up the gunk.  I think this is BS.  First, if you change your oil on time (and I do) you do not have gunk build up.  Second, I do not want anything thinning out the oil surface on my bearings.  They are not easy to replace...

Paragraph 4 is just as valid (assuming any validity at all) with the name of any strong solvent like seafoam,... berryman's, gumout, walmart fuel system cleaner, rislone, whatever.  By some sort of marketing coup, the seafoam company actually has a lot of folks thinking it is worth spending absurd amounts of money on their solvent.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 12/07/12 at 05:31:52

I have some very strong opinions about fuels........most of them based on my own personal experiences.  I worked at a lawn mower shop repairing mowers and chainsaws in the early 70's, at 2 motorcycle shops, and I have continued to work on mowers, chainsaws, cars and motorcycles for the last 40 years.

The majority of the repair work I have done is the result of equipment sitting idle with fuel in it.  Before the advent of the new blended fuels the damage was mostly gum/varnish build up.  The old gasoline would slowly turn into a thick gooey coating that would clog everything up.  If equipment sat outside uncoverd or in unheated buildings it could also suffer from water damage.  If you could catch this varnish/gummy process soon enough - I believe the fuel cleaner products had some chance of cleaning things up and removing the varnish.

New blended fuels don't leave behind this varnish and they are much cleaner, and when used up regularly there is little problem.  When this fuel started to be the fuel of choice I noticed that Briggs and Stratton fuel pump diaphragms had to be replaced often as the little check valve tabs would curl up, fuel lines became gummy and were dissolving, and every spring we would have to put new accelerator pump diaphragms in my uncles muscle cars as they had dissolved over the winter.  Equipment that sat unused for a while was no longer varnished up - instead the rubber parts were sticky and soft, the aluminum in the float bowls was corroded, and carb diaprhagms were dissolved, and rusty fuel tanks appeared to occur even in equipment that was stored indoors.  Over the years the equipment manufacturers have been changing the material that fuel lines and diaprhagms are made from, and they don't dissolve like they used to.

Why this long winded post?  My thoughts are that the cleaners used to do a good job on the varnish deposits if you caught it early enough.  However with modern blended fuel - I don't think the cleaners are very effective.  IF you have a running problem related to the fuel system (tank, petcock, fuel line, carb.) - it is best to take things apart and clean them.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #25 - 12/07/12 at 06:29:21

Dave is exactly right.
Those of you that think.....or imagine that todays E10 leaves bad stuff in carbs, were not even around yet in the 60's and 70s, when that leaded fuel really did varnish and turn to ka ka in less than a years time. That leaded fuel wouldn't hardly run if it was a year old. Todays e10 runs fine yet at even 1 1/2 yrs old,......I'm proving it in my 50:1 tillers,....and they start 2-3 pulls every time.

Pictures !!!!! I want some pictures of all the bad stuff left from e10 !! Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #26 - 12/07/12 at 17:38:08

Gyrobob wrote on 12/07/12 at 04:19:01:
Paragraph 4 is just as valid (assuming any validity at all) with the name of any strong solvent like seafoam,... berryman's, gumout, walmart fuel system cleaner, rislone, whatever.  By some sort of marketing coup, the seafoam company actually has a lot of folks thinking it is worth spending absurd amounts of money on their solvent.

Actually, you have a few differences there.  Some are pure detergents.  They have no energy when they burn.  Other solvents are more aromatic.  They are harsher, but evaporate quicker as well.  Put a small cup of Techron, Berrimans and Seafoam out overnight.  You will see some differences.  But that said, they all perform similarly.  I have just found SeaFoma to be the best first pass.

As to pictures, I used to have one with a carb bowl filled with what looked like brown sugar.  Wish I could find it.  It was e10.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #27 - 12/09/12 at 20:14:20

I've run about a tank of fuel containing STP's fuel system cleaner through my bike, and it seems to be idling smoother and to be backfiring a little less than it did before. The difference is not dramatic in the backfiring, but it is noticeable in the idle smoothness and low-speed running. I'm running another tank with STP in it. After I've completed the two tankfuls with STP I'll also try Seafoam.

If there is some narrowing of passages (but not clogging) because the bike sat for a long time before I got it, maybe this will make a difference. In any case, it doesn't appear to be doing any harm.

- David
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #28 - 12/10/12 at 06:01:06

DavidOfMA wrote on 12/09/12 at 20:14:20:
I've run about a tank of fuel containing STP's fuel system cleaner through my bike, and it seems to be idling smoother and to be backfiring a little less than it did before. The difference is not dramatic in the backfiring, but it is noticeable in the idle smoothness and low-speed running. I'm running another tank with STP in it. After I've completed the two tankfuls with STP I'll also try Seafoam.

If there is some narrowing of passages (but not clogging) because the bike sat for a long time before I got it, maybe this will make a difference. In any case, it doesn't appear to be doing any harm.

The "Great Unanswered Question" here is whether the fuel by itself would have done the same thing as the fuel with the additive. That is what makes testing these assorted additives so darnably difficult. All the testimonial letters say something like "I used Supersolv 17 in my vehicle, and after a couple of tanks full it ran much better." I have never yet seen a letter that said "I just ran a couple tanks of clean gas through the thing, and it was cured."

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #29 - 12/10/12 at 06:36:21

Charon wrote on 12/10/12 at 06:01:06:
DavidOfMA wrote on 12/09/12 at 20:14:20:

The "Great Unanswered Question" here is whether the fuel by itself would have done the same thing as the fuel with the additive. That is what makes testing these assorted additives so darnably difficult. All the testimonial letters say something like "I used Supersolv 17 in my vehicle, and after a couple of tanks full it ran much better." I have never yet seen a letter that said "I just ran a couple tanks of clean gas through the thing, and it was cured."

Well... Since I got it from the original owner, I ran about 30 tanks of gas (3000 miles) through the bike before I added the STP fuel system cleaner, and the idle was always rough, even after fooling with the pilot jet and idle mix screw and checking the TEV and the floats. Then I ran two tanks of gas with the STP in it and it runs better at idle and low speeds. To me, that says that half a bottle of STP fuel system cleaner did more than 30 tanks of gas. In this case, with a bike that sat for a while with little use, it seems to have helped.

- David
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 06:36:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gumout or equivalent carb cleaner fuel additive?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.