Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mikuni TM36-68 Flat Slide Carburetor 36mm PumpCarb (Read 360 times)
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Mikuni TM36-68 Flat Slide Carburetor 36mm PumpCarb
12/06/12 at 10:08:11

I am thinking of replacing my carb. I understand that Lancers Performance -36mm Mikuni VM round slide carburetor and Savage-Robs -Amal Mk2 are both very efficient at improving performance. I would like peoples thoughts on the Mikuni TM36-68 Flat Slide Carburetor 36mm PumpCarb.
« Last Edit: 12/06/12 at 17:44:52 by paulmarshall »  

KGrHqNlkE1F5ZQ36BNgQ4OEUCg0_12.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Mikuni TM36-68 Flat Slide Carburetor 36mm Pump
Reply #1 - 12/06/12 at 11:24:28

Really would depend on where you wanna go and how you want to get there.

The road to the VM is a known path and there's quite a few people on it to help you out.

The road to the TM is a bit foggy, there's people on it, but they speak a different language.

So do you want to travel a short straight road, or long twisty one?

WWW   IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #2 - 12/06/12 at 11:55:17

verslagen1 wrote on 12/06/12 at 11:24:28:

Perhaps the wrong analogy to use with a biker...  I know I love the long twisty roads!  Cheesy

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #3 - 12/06/12 at 11:58:38

verslagen1 wrote on 12/06/12 at 11:24:28:
Really would depend on where you wanna go and how you want to get there.

The road to the VM is a known path and there's quite a few people on it to help you out.

The road to the TM is a bit foggy, there's people on it, but they speak a different language.

I would prefer to travel a path with a knowledgeable  guide. I found a VM on ebay and asked about a cable and manifold for a Savage and he replied and I quote "I think you might be better off with a pumper carb (accelerator pump). See this eBay item number: 170616515481 - Mikuni TM36-68 Flat Slide Carburetor 36mm Pump Carb".
The TM is twice the price which is prob why he suggested it, $269 compared to $112 for the VM. I dont mind paying  more for quality. I have been known to travell where no man has gone before, However when possible I try to research.

« Last Edit: 12/06/12 at 17:46:11 by paulmarshall »  
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #4 - 12/06/12 at 14:19:34

Looking at the pic closely It would appear our stock cable can be used.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 12/07/12 at 01:35:09

paulmarshall wrote on 12/06/12 at 11:58:38:
I have been known to travell where no man has gone before

You're confusing stupidity with bravery.

The TM is just a flat-slide version of the VM. Most of the parts are swappable between the two like the jets and needles - just one is a flat-slide and one is a round-slide. Flat-slides have no negative aspects except for price.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 12/07/12 at 03:48:03

I don't remember the details of the throttle cable attachment on the TM carb and am not home where I can check the manuals, but it looks (parts diagram online) to be similar to the VM carb and the stock LS650 cable will not work on it.  Even if you can make it work I would suggest having a new cable made to fit your "model year" LS650 and the TM carb specifically, if you decide to go with that carb.  The throttle action will be much smoother, giving you better control.
I have Barnett make custom cables for my carb kits, with exact throttle connections for each of the 3 model types used on the LS650.
Motion Pro, sold through Sudco and other dealers, also makes custom cables but I've not used them so don't know whether they have the specifics on the "model year throttle ends" we need.  You would have to talk with them.
It does look like the main and pilot jets are of the same group but I don't sizes they are.  You will very likely need to change them, just as required on the VM carb.  The needle jet and jet needle are different than on the VM, so I cannot suggest anything there.  I just don't know what the needs will be with the TM on our engine.
In totally form, the TM will flow a little more than a VM in the low and half way through the mid throttle range, but beyond that there is no difference.  A VM with a UFO installed will out perform the TM in the low to mid range.
You just have to weigh the costs and expected amount of work you will need to do ....( LOL ... Which always turns out to be more than anticipated ) but that is half the fun in finding out how things work.
Getting it mounted is the easy part; working out the jetting is where the grunt work comes in.  It is one of those "Patience Grasshopper" things.  Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 12/07/12 at 06:08:10

OK.....I got a stupid question.....but that won't stop me.

Who cares about flow at partial throttle?  If one carb flows better than the other at partial throttle......you can compensate by just using a bit more throttle on the carb that flows less efficiently.  The carb and throttle are supposed to be restrictive by nature - that is how you control the speed and keep things under control.  If flow at tull throttle is comparable - both carbs should provide equal HP at full throttle.

It may be that by having a carb that flows more efficiently at partial throttle settings - you get an engine that is more efficient and runs smoother, and that is the advantage of a more efficient flowing carb.  Currently my stock carb is running really smoothly and it is a joy to ride the bike.  My stock carb may not be the most efficient or the fastest - but 98% of the time I am just cruising around at 1/4 throttle enjoying the THUMP tic tic THUMP tic tic THUMP tic tic THUM tic tic THUMP tic tic THUMP tick tic Grin.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 12/07/12 at 11:13:28

You should buy mine. It comes with jets.

--Steve

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #9 - 12/07/12 at 19:51:02

it does look like it might take our stock cable maybe??

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #10 - 12/07/12 at 20:00:32

I couldnt find a pic of that side. cant see where the fuel hose connects.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 12/07/12 at 20:00:34

is set up for a push/pull cable.

you need to set up a clamp to hold the end of our single.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 12/08/12 at 11:53:24

paulmarshall wrote on 12/07/12 at 20:00:32:
I couldnt find a pic of that side. cant see where the fuel hose connects.

It looks to me like the connection for the fuel hose is hidden behind that white knob.  It is on the side of the float bowl and the connection angles down and to the left in the photo.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 12/08/12 at 12:24:14

yep, swivel connector.

white knob is idle speed.

WWW   IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #14 - 12/23/12 at 19:33:47

I have a TM36 for my build but it is not the pumper so the cable comes straight in the top somewhat similar to a VM set up.  I had a custom cable made by Motion Pro.  They were great to deal with.  I also however changed to a CR throttle housing for the twist grip since I am running 7/8" clubman bars.  

Your set up is for a push pull (two cable) set up.  I would not recommend running that with less than two cables.  For that you would want to look to a different throttle housing.  I would suggest talking with MotionPro as they have many housings and can set you up with a cable once they know the carb and the throttle housing they are working with.  From there they will also need to know how long you want the throttle cable outer sleeve.  The throttle housing and carb allow them to calculate how much free cable sticks out of the sleeve lenght that you give them.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 06:29:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mikuni TM36-68 Flat Slide Carburetor 36mm PumpCarb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.